Rail pass for Rhine Falls,Jungfraujoch & Pilatus

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 10:46:54 #816552

Hiya ! Thanks in advance for reading this as I would like someone to give me comments and to verify my calculations

So I am organising trip for 8 people (5 Adults, 2 Under 25s and 1 under 16s)

I would like anyone to give me comments to my trip planning and verify the fee calculation and see if there are better options. I have a few questions at the bottom of this post

I have uploaded my calculation results on google sheet and also attached the excel sheet in this post (it seemed the half fare card will save me a lot of money)

docs.google.com/spread sheets/d/1dKzzqhWzZein AF-XQVtGBZLgqRCW1x0CChURN C6RJQo/edit?usp=sharing

Day 1)

Zurich airport to Zurich

Day 2)

Zurich to Neuhausen Rheinfall

Neuhausen Rheinfall to Zurich

Day 3)

Zurich to Wengen [we have booked a hotel there]

Wengen to Männlichen GGM (will then hike to Kleine Scheidegg as its a very recommended route?)

Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch

Jungfraujoch to wengen

Day 4)

Wengen to lucerne

Lucerne to Pilatus Kulm (golden round trip)- Pilatus Kulm to lucerne [I think this golden tour is the best deal that included all diff transports?]

Day 5)

Lucern to Zurich (by train) then head to Munich (IC BUS)

Questions:

1) One of my cousin will be 15, so does he travel for FREE as long as him mum is with him ( She will possibly be purchasing the half fare card, and any documents they need to bring to prove the relationship?)

2)Would there be better deals for family or group as we are travelling as 8.

3)For the Golden Trip from Lucerne, is it better to follow their recommend route {LUCERNE–ALPNACHSTAD (BY BOAT)–PILATUS] but I heard its possible to do it in reverse?

4)I didn’t quite check using Swizz Travel pass, but to my schedule, I do not think I will benefit from it?

5)Is there a possibility to use the ADD-ON for “1-day travelpass” in any days as I am not sure how it work? [the only possibility thatI might benefit from it for using on Day 2 as thats the most spendings?]

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 19:20:41 #887878

Hi Adam and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I noticed only calculations for the Swiss Half Fare Card, did you compare it to another pass like the Swiss Travel Pass?

1. Yes, if his mom has the Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Travel Pass and you also get the Swiss Family Card for him then he is free at all times. They will check passports from time to time. Do they have different last names?
    2. No
    3. You can also go in reverse yes. One way is boat and train from Alpnachstad or train and cable car from Kriens. Most people do the boat trip from Luzern first and come back via Kriens. https://www.myswissalp s.com/pilatus/gettingt here
    4. It might. 🙂 You could look at a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass (days 2 -5)
    5. Day 3 is the most expensive day. But the pass is more expensive than your 1/2 fare ticket from Zurich to Wengen and then it doesn’t give any further discount to Jungfraujoch. https://www.myswissalp s.com/onedaytravelpass
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 9:49:54 #887879

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the great help!

1) Yeah they have a different surname as my Aunt didn’t change to her husbands surname.

4)I don’t think I have spent enough on the major routes to fully use the rail pass, also I find it difficult to calculate the cost for Day 3 and Day 4 . It mainly due to the mixture of free fair and discounted fare for the swizzle pass. Also how does Swiss pass apply on the golden round trip? I got the total price from their website, but with swizzle pass, part of the route is free part is discounted.

I hate to ask this but would you be able to check the cost for those 2 days with a swizz pass please?

And one final big questions!!

Do I need to purchase these tickets before the trip ( like does the price change over time or they are standard?)

Kind regards,

Adam

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 16:11:27 #887880

Hi Adam,

1. I’d bring a document to prove the relationship just in case. 🙂

4. I haven’t heard the term Swizzle pass before!
    The entire Golden Pass route is free – just reservations would be extra if you make them. https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/packa ges
    Use the PDF map to check which routes are covered here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

Swiss Travel Pass:

Day 3
    Zurich to Wengen = free
    Wengen to Männlichen GGM = 50% off|
    Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch = 25% off
    Jungfraujoch to wengen = 25% off

Day 4: Wengen to lucerne = free
    Lucerne to Pilatus = free to Alpnachstad or Kriens, 50% off the rest of the trip

Prices don’t change no. You can buy them online (https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets) or at the rail station.

• The thread ‘Rail pass for Rhine Falls,Jungfraujoch & Pilatus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.