February Switzerland itinerary 4 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2016 at 18:35:38 #810328

Hi everyone,

I’ve been constantly reading trip reports and other fellow forum posts regarding Switzerland. I have my flight booked for February 18-21st. I was wondering if anyone can give me feedback on my (2) itinerary options and recommend which option makes the most sense.

Land in Zurich @ 8:40am (February 18)

Thinking of heading straight to Interlaken. (Murren caught my eye as from what I’ve read, Interlaken isn’t all that much to see besides a transportation hub) Can I take the train straight from Zurich airport to Interlaken OST to transfer towards Murren? I’ve read that I have a better chance of clearer views higher in the mountains above the fog. (Obviously no guarantee) If anyone can recommend another town, I’m very open to it as well.

Spend 2/18, 2/19, 2/20 exploring the area as much as possible. We are not skiers but do enjoy the fantastic views. Is there hang gliding at this time of the year? I’m not quite sure what activities there are besides visiting the other towns and possible heading towards the top of Jungfraujoch if it is a clear day.

2/20 – Train to the Lucerne in the late afternoon and stay at the Hotel Villa Honegg for the night.

2/21 – We have a early evening flight in Zurich at 5:15pm. Was thinking of exploring Lucerne a bit more in the morning before taking the train straight towards Zurich airport and arrive-by 2-3pm.

Option 2:

Land in Zurich @ 8:40am (February 18)

Heading straight or Lucerne or Bern. Explore both cities from 2/18-2/20.

2/20 – Train back to Zurich for the night

2/21 – Explore Zurich for the whole morning/early afternoon til my flight at 5:15pm.

Thanks again for reading and hopefully some great feedback!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    9 November 2016 at 10:45:42 #856981

Welcome to MySwissAlps, atojbk!

Those are two quite different itineraries. Which is best depends on your preferences. If nature and scenery are your main interest, I’d recommend your first plan. If you’re lucky and weather cooperates, you’ll get to explore a stunning alpine landscape. Besides Jungfraujoch, there are many other mountain tops you can visit as it’s still winter season, e.g. Schilthorn, Männlichen and First. Please find further tips here. Mürren or Wengen are recommended if you prefer a typical mountain village and indeed, fog often blocks views at lower altitudes. No guarantees for regular clear views from either Mürren or Wengen though. If weather is bad, you can make side trips to Bern, Thun and Lucerne instead. Those will be pretty long days; please consult the timetable.

Your second itinerary is safer weather wise and interesting if you like city visits. You can still make trips to the Alps from Bern, but you’ll have to deal with quite some traveling time. Lucerne offers more nearby scenic activities. Dividing your time between Lucerne and the Jungfrau region is yet another option.

I hope this helps you out a bit. Mind to look into rail passes once your itinerary is more or less set.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 November 2016 at 8:17:27 #856982

Hi Atojbk-

Annika has given an excellent perspective on your two possible itineraries, and, the pluses and minuses.

She has noted the timetable, which is really your friend on either itinerary:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Unfortunately, the weather will be unpredictable in the Alps until only a short time before it happens; you have noted that point as well.

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast

One possible approach might be to head to Luzern upon arrival, then on the morning of the 19th, consult the tourist office in Luzern by track #1 in the main station; also use the internet –

and Swiss TV 0n channel 1 ( weather forecasts in the early AM as well as web cams.

en.swisswebcams.ch/web cam/1010222761

Then choose whether to stay in Luzern or head to the Bernese Oberland for a stay or a (long) day trip.

If you stay in Luzern, a lake boat ride and the cograil up to the Rigi from Vitznau could be pleasant; also weather dependent.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi

The lake boat service in the winter is limited, but there are a few trips each day that run the length of the lake ( to Flüelen) and back, stopping at Vitznau as well as other stops.

I have not visited the Alps in February, so I don’t know the availability of rooms on short notice. Arno and Annika have a much better perspective than I. My limited experience suggests that rooms will be available in Luzern on short notice in February.

I think that Bern would be my choice.

Annika’s suggestion to stay in Bern makes good sense for a flexible base- the trip to the Bernese Oberland is shorter (though less scenic) than the trip from Luzern. Luzern is as little as one hour from Bern and makes a nice day trip; see the attached screen grab from the SBB timetable.

The arcaded streets in Bern are nice to walk in the Winter. One picture attached is from warmer days. There are no roses in the Rose Garden, but the view of the city from up there is nice. (Attached).

Staying in the mountain villages ( Wengen, Mürren) is wonderful, if you can see around the mountains. Much less attarctive, but still a nice experience, in cloudy weather.

Personally, I like Wengen:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 November 2016 at 20:54:45 #856983

Thanks for the reponses. How many days in advance can I rely on the weather to be accurate if I were to just stay 1 night in Lucerne to see if the weather stays clear in let’s say, Wengen?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 November 2016 at 21:16:03 #856984

Hi Atojbk

Please check the links on this page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

Also, ask at the tourist information office by track #1 in Luzern main station. They a re very helpful.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘February Switzerland itinerary 4 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.