7 days in Wengen in June to explore Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2017 at 14:34:10 #811993

Hi Team,

We are a team of 4 adults and will be landing in Zurich on June 1 2017.Our accomodation is in wengen for 7 nights and his trip is for 8 days.

The following is the Itinerary that is my wish list . Please suggest if any changes / modifications needs to be done

1) June 1 2017- Day 1- Land in Zurich . Collect Swiss Travle pass and leave the luggage at Zurcih airport counter and take a train to Rhine falls. Finish the trip come back to Zurich airport collect the luggage and travel to wengen.

2) June 2 2017- wengen to Jungfrouach. If weather permits.

3) June 3 2017 -Mount rigi via boat and train

4) June 4 2017- Mount Titlis

5) June 5 2017- Glacier express

6) June 6 2017 – Shciltron and also want to do the first flyer.

7) June 7 – please suggest any other place that i have missed out. Not sure if i can accomodate mount Pilatus on any earlier day combining with anything .

8) June 8 – Back to Zurich airport.

Kindly let me know if this is feasible.

Regards,

Archana

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 May 2017 at 18:39:07 #864023

Hi Archana-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

That sounds like a generally good itinerary, but you will have some long travel days.

What time does your flight land in Zürich and will you be coming from a Schengen Country ( saves time on passport control lines) ? Might affect the Rhine Falls trip.

June 5th is problematical.

http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

You have to get to the start point and finish point of the GEX, from and to Wengen, unless you only take part of the route.

June 6th is awkward, but doable.

First is above Grindelwald, and Schlthorn is above Lauterbrunnen or Stechelberg.

It takes quite a while to get between those two branches of the valley. Look at the map.

First Flyer – .

Their web site says it is open when you are there:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/grindelwaldfirst/fi rst-flyer/

The cable way to First from near Grindelwald is running on June 6th. The journey to First from Wengen takes between 1 hr 40 minutes and 2 hours.

The best way to figure out feasibility for any journey is to look at a map:

map.search.ch/?pos=638616,162440&z=32

and check the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Wengen is my favorite village in Switzerland.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

However, for extensive travel outside the Bernese Oberland, I prefer to stay in Interlaken. The journey from Wengen out to Interlaken Ost ( IO) for connections to the rest of the country takes 51 minutes, meaning that you waste almost two hours of each day on making that initial outbound + plus final return leg.

It won’t affect the travel you have mentioned, but you should note that in early June near the Jungfrau, many facilities are closed. It is between the ski season and the hiking season, but conditions are not good for either one. So, few tourists and little business for restaurants and hotels. June 15th is the npmima date for start of the Summer season, but that date depends a lot of the snowpack left from the Winter.

Most of the mountain transport starts up on about May 24th ( apart from the cograil for Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfaujoch, and the Schilthorn Bahn which are open all year ( JFJ) or most of the year – Schilthorn).

Hiking trails above 2000 meters are likely to be impassable.

So, for example, you could ride the cable car from Wengen up to Männlichen where there are very nice views, and eat at the mountain restaurant which opens on may 25th

http://www.berghaus-maennlichen.ch/homee.h tml

, but probably not hike to Kleine Scheidegg in early June.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 10:53:37 #864024

Slowpoke, hello! You mention airport lines…any suggestions (at all) for folks from the US getting through them quickly and on to the trains to Zurich (@ZRH 6 am time frame)? Thank you, OhGeologist

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 May 2017 at 12:54:25 #864025

Hi OHGeologist-

<<“You mention airport lines…any suggestions (at all) for folks from the US getting through them quickly and on to the trains to Zurich (@ZRH 6 am time frame)?”>>

There really aren’t any options. Get a seat as near the front of the plane as possible?

You may recall your last visit; think about what you did upon arrival. Generally, all procedures move along quickly. Passport control, get your luggage, change some cash for pocket money at the bank window inside the luggage/arrival hall or just outside. Use a luggage cart when you get your luggage if you have enough that manhandling it would slow you down. You will recall that the luggage carts are free and can ride the escalators, and go to the trains. (Don’t overload the cart, because you luggage might fall of as it tips forward going down the escalators, and your baggage may reach the bottom faster than the cart. ;-(

Buy a ticket from the machines; avoid the lines. You can use a credit card, if you wish.

If you have some pocket cash from your last trip, that will save a few minutes getting Swiss franks.

On all my other dozens of trips to ZRH, my luggage has been on the carousel when I got to it, or shortly afterwards no matter whether I cam from the US or from France or the Netherlands., so there was never a long wait there. This last trip, I came in from Schiphol, and for some odd reason, my luggage took about 10 minutes to arrive…even with a priority tag. Possibly, the wait was because I did not have to clear passport control in Switzerland since the Netherlands is a Schengen Country, so I got to the carousel more quickly than usual.

By the way, when I came into Schiphol on this recent trip, the passport control lines were very very long. Never saw that at Zürich.

If you are going to stop in Zürich, you can take any of the frequent rains.

For example- see attached screen grab. 7 trains between 0630 and 0700. Similar frequency during early morning hours.

If you are continuing past Zürich, check the timetable and see if you can catch a direct train, which might stop at Zürich Hbf, but then continue onward toward your destination.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 16:39:11 #864026

Hi,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I will have to change the itinerary a little.

We will be arriving in Zurich at 6,50 am on June 1 2017 and immigration is there only.

The time table link is very helpful too .

Thank you.

Regards,

Archana

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 May 2017 at 17:16:35 #864027

Hi Archana-

Glad i could help. The timetable is an absolute necessity for trip planning, combined with a map.

map.search.ch/?pos=691192,281320&z=32

<<“We will be arriving in Zurich at 6,50 am on June 1 2017 and immigration is there only.”>>

You’ll have time for the Rhine falls. Under normal circumstances, you should figure on 45 minutes to an hour (maximum) to get from your plane to a train. Good signs, in English and German, after you exit the luggage arrival hall. Only a short walk across the street to the train station.

http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls

It is not my favorite sight in Switzerland, perhaps because I have seen other waterfalls around the world. I like to go for the things that are characteristically Swiss, like the Jungfrau region.

However, many people like the falls.

If i were making your trip, I would skip the Rhine Falls and go directly to Wengen. In part, that is because I would be jet-lagged, and I find doing any side trips on my first day is a hard for me. I like to get to my base and settle in. it would depend on the weather, too.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 11:24:49 #864028

Thanks again, Slowpoke. We just have carry-ons, except can’t carry them on Swiss Air due to hiking poles. Other two trips were 12 and 42 years ago…yikes. So I know things have changed a tad since then.

Love your maps…saw you were just in Weggis…any suggestions on a place to eat (if we don’t get to eat up at your friend’s hotel near the top of Rigi)?

Oh Geologist

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 May 2017 at 14:31:54 #864029

<<“Love your maps…saw you were just in Weggis…any suggestions on a place to eat (if we don’t get to eat up at your friend’s hotel near the top of Rigi)?”>>

I’ll start a new thread

• The thread ‘7 days in Wengen in June to explore Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.