From Geneva to Venice with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 17:22:08 #814425

Hi

1. I am from India and planning to travel in May 2018 with Family.

2. Now I am planning to buy Swiss pass but only closer to travel.

3. I want to book Train from Geneva to Venice (direct train @ 0739 hrs)

4. Can I avail swiss pass for travel portion of switzerland

5. And for Italian portion can I purchase advance ticket without reference to Swiss pass (which is not yet purchased)

6. For swiss portion of journey, is it mandatory to reserve seat? If yes then can I do it in advance without refeence to Swiss Pass (which is yet not purchased)

Shall be grateful for your reply

regards

Pushp

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 19:49:25 #876789

Hi pknayar, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can use the Swiss Travel Pass for the trip in Switzerland and you don’t need to reserve a seat. You will only have to buy a ticket (including reservation) from Chiasso to Venice and there is no need to mention the Swiss Travel Pass as it isn’t valid in Italy anyway.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 0:13:06 #876790

Thanks indeed

Regards

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 February 2018 at 4:53:26 #876791

The fastest (7 hour 39min) route from Geneva to Venice spends a lot of time in Italy (see attached). Your Swiss Travel Pass will only work up to Domodossola on that route.

You can make bookings and reservations using the one-stop shop Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). To claim reduction for STP in Switzerland you will need to select GA 1. cl or GA 2. cl depending on whether you have a 1st or 2nd class pass.

You don’t have to have already bought the STP before making bookings.

Before Geneva what does you itnerary in Switzerland look like. Just interested to know what prompted you to buy a Swiss Travel Pass. Or perhaps you mean a Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 6:45:18 #876792

Thanks a lot for prompt reply.

Will it be Domodossola or Chiasso? (Another post mentioned Chiasso)

Well I will be 4 days in Switzerland. 1 Day Zurich / 2 Days Interlaken (Mountains) and 1 Day Geneva (UN/CERN) and 5th Day travelling to Venice.

Also, is Flix bus a good option ….I mean Geneva to Venice by Road will be more scenic than by Train ? or is it vice a versa

Thanks Again

Pushp

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 February 2018 at 6:53:28 #876793

Via Chiasso would be a long way round. At least 9:30 to 10:30 travel time. Most likely via Zurich.

Take the train – much more comfortable than bus. plenty of room to move about.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 7:03:54 #876794

Thanks a lot.

So hope that Swiss pass is a better idea than Saver pass for above itineary.

• The thread ‘From Geneva to Venice with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.