From Grindelwald to Schilthorn or Bachalpsee

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2018 at 7:49:31 #815463

I will be visiting Switzerland in 2nd week of May for some business in Geneva along with my friend. I plan to take early morning train to Interlaken with one night stay there & do paragliding & harder culm & Kayaking ( will it be possible to do all three in one day ) . Next morning I plan to take early morning train around 8 am to Grindalward & spend some time at Grindalward & either go to First & Bachalpsee or Schiltron & evening train from interlaken to Geneva …… Already been to jungfrau , Titlis , Bern & Lucerne , Montreux , Zurich on my earlier visits

I Need suggestions from the forum members

1. Should I buy swiss rail pass or destination wise tickets as I will be using pass only for two days
    2. Do I need to book paragliding in advance
    3. Schilthorn or hiking to Lake Bachalpsee or any other thing to do which esteemed members can suggest

…. regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 April 2018 at 9:48:46 #882914

Welcome to MySwissAlps Satvinder5!

All 3 activities in one day would be difficult I think. You’ll have to find an operator for the paragliding in the morning, kayaking in the afternoon and then fit in Harder Kulm in between or early evening. It may work but you’ll need to plan this in detail.

As for your other questions:

1. You will probably save (a bit) with a Swiss Half Fare Card: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard.
    2. Normally yes, and I’d recommend that with a tight schedule like yours. I don’t know whether it is possible to just walk into one of the operator offices in Interlaken and book for the same day.
    3. Schilthorn is wonderful if the weather cooperates: http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn. The walk to the Bachsee may not be possible due to snow, but you can check when there or ask the Grindelwald tourist office a few days ahead of time. http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/bachsee. Other peaks to consider are Niesen and Niederhorn.
    rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 April 2018 at 9:55:40 #882915

Hi Arno,

I would contend that a 3-day Swiss Travel Pass is actually better value than a Swiss Half-fare Card for a short visit.

The minimum real cost of a Swiss Half Fare Card is CHF240 before you save anything. That’s CHF120 up front plus CHF120 half-fare tickets. At that point you haven’t actually saved anything. The 3-day Swiss Travel Pass at CHF225 is actually cheaper (although it doesn’t appear so at first glance) and you don’t need to buy tickets.

That being said full fare tickets or Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) plus price for Schilthorn may be the best deal.

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 April 2018 at 10:21:26 #882916

Hi Rockoyster,

Good point, it’s worth it to compare both options: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass. In any case Swiss Travel Pass is more convenient. My rough estimation is that regular tickets would be around CHF 250, but it ultimately depends on the exact trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2018 at 14:58:32 #882917

Thanks a lot Arno .

Yes , combining three will be difficult. We will skip Kayaking & try to fit in one boat cruise to Thun or Brienz , which comes free with swiss rail pass

We can skip lake Bacalpsee . We can spend some time to get views in Grindalward & First or perhaps still better other way round …..can proceed to schilthron straight away from Interlaken & later spend some time in Grindalward. What do you recommend!!

Annika
    7104 posts
    22 April 2018 at 16:14:53 #882918

Hi Satvinder5! The exact order of your plans in Grindelwald (not Grindalward ;-)) doesn’t have to be fixed I think. it’s most important to keep an eye on the weather forecasts and visit the mountain tops such as Schilthorn and First when skies are clear. If this doesn’t seem to make a great difference, my personal preference would be to visit Schilthorn first (it’s free with the Swiss Travel Pass mentioned by Rockoyster and Arno by the way), then proceed to First and Grindelwald. You can plan your trips with the aid of the timetable.

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 April 2018 at 16:29:32 #882919

Ah yes indeed, Schilthorn is free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Satvinder5, if you plan to include Schilthorn then a 3-day Swiss Travel Pass is very likely to be the cheapest option and for sure the most convenient option. You can print it at home through various websites: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    22 April 2018 at 20:19:35 #882920

Hi Satvinder

I would say the scenery and views from Schilthorn versus Bachalpsee are equally impressive but different. If you prefer minimal walking and a more passive experience, then Schilthorn is a good choice. But if a short, fairly flat and easy hike suits you ( approximately 1:40 hrs ) then you would enjoy the First to Bachalpsee hike. There is stunning scenery all along the hike. As stated previously be sure it’s open by checking the local tourist office if that is your choice. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 11:59:24 #882921

Thanks Annika for correcting me ….. I will remember it’s Grindelwald !! 🙂 & For Your useful reply . I have planned to take train from Interlaken Ost to Schilthorn around 8 am & spending some time at top & Murren & return to OST around 1 pm & take train from there to Grindelwald & & take gondola & do Cliff walk & return via trottibikes / ziplines / carts.

Please help in my two queries

. By what reasonable time I will be able to return to Ost …. From Grindelwald… as I have to take a train for Geneva

2. What are prices for these activities ( carts etc ) we have to choose one or we can do all , if we have to do one ( because of short time ) which will you recommend.

Thanks & regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 17:31:25 #882922

Hi Satvinders,

1. Please use the Swiss railways timetable (see Annika’s post) to plan your trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. If you fill in the desired arrival time, the timetable will let you know what time you have to leave.
    2. The timetable will give you the prices for trains, cable cars etc. You’ll have to double the price to get full fare. Prices shown are based on the Swiss Half Fare Card. For the specific activities you’re planning to do please visit their website: http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/tag/grindelwald-first.
    Arno
    15471 posts
    24 April 2018 at 18:05:42 #882923

Using that timetable makes sure you’ll take the quickest routes. Going back to Interlaken to reach Grindelwald is a detour, for example. You would change trains in Zweilütschinen in this case.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 19:30:33 #882924

Thanks a lot dear Chantal , those were very useful links !! 🙂 & Answered most of my queries !!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 19:42:07 #882925

Thanks Arno for the reply . Do you mean from Schilthorn I can reach Grindelwald without going back to Interlaken , via Zweilutschinen. (But that’s a tongue twister for me 😉 ) Oh that will be great !!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 3:14:23 #882926

>> Do you mean from Schilthorn I can reach Grindelwald without going back to Interlaken , via Zweilutschinen.

Yes. The attached diagram might help you visualise the route. The Schilthorn is not marked, but Mürren is.

>> Zweilutschinen … that’s a tongue twister for me

Yes, and for most people 🙂

Four syllables: Zwei-lüt-schin-en

Rough pronunciation: Tsvy-loot-sheen-en

• Zwei means two
    • Lütschinen is the plural of Lütschine, referring to the two Lütschine Rivers that converge at Zweilütschinen.

From Wikipedia:

The Lütschine is a river in the Bernese Oberland region of Switzerland. The Lütschine proper runs from Zweilütschinen, where its two tribututaries join, to Lake Brienz at Bönigen. The Schwarze Lütschine, or Black Lütschine, flows from Grindelwald to Zweilütschinen. The Weisse Lütschine, or White Lütschine, flows from the Lauterbrunnen Valley to Zweilütschinen.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 18:30:20 #882927

Thanks a lot dear Alpenrose for detailed response & giving me some insight of the local geography & making it interesting. Really Appreciate !!

• The thread ‘From Grindelwald to Schilthorn or Bachalpsee’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.