Geneva to Zurich – Best scenic train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2017 at 21:16:30 #813573

Hi all!

I’ll be vising Switzerland for the first time in in a few weeks and would like to take advantage of one of the scenic trains! I am arriving in Geneva and leaving from Zurich and can spend one full day traveling in between. I am a little confused about the Golden Pass line option. Can I board in Montreux and go towards Lucerne? Or is it only the other way around?

I am open to ideas. I also can’t seem to figure out the timetable.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

T

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2017 at 0:41:52 #871307

Hi T, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You would travel from Geneva to Montreux by regional train to connect with the Golden Pass train at Montreux. The Golden Pass route is Montreux-Zweisimmen-Interlaken Ost-Luzern. At Luzern you would connect with a regional train to Zürich.

Are you just travelling through Switzerland for one day, or do you have other plans as well?

>> I am a little confused about the Golden Pass line option. Can I board in Montreux and go towards Lucerne?

Yes.

>> I also can’t seem to figure out the timetable.

It would be easier to assist you if you could be more specific about your date of travel, and what you can’t figure out in relation to the timetable. Please be specific about which website you are using for timetable details.

If you are travelling between 06.11.2017 and 19.11.2017, trains between Brienz and Brünig-Hasliberg on the Interlaken Ost-Luzern sector of the Golden Pass line are being replaced by buses due to construction work on the railway line. This temporary alteration involves two separate buses: one between Brienz and Meiringen, then another one between Meiringen and Brünig-Hasliberg.

To get the Golden Pass route to come up in the timetable (instead of the fastest route between Geneva and Zürich), you need to put “From Geneva” “To Zürich HB” “via Montreux”, “via Zweisimmen”, “via Meiringen”. The replacement bus services will be shown in the timetable if you are travelling during the period of construction work. Some trains between Montreux and Zweisimmen have panoramic windows. These are indicated in the timetable by “MOB PANORAMIC”.

If you are not already using the Swiss Timetable site, you can access it via this page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 October 2017 at 16:01:11 #871308

Hi Alpenrose!

Thanks so much for your quick response. Unfortunately I am visiting during the dates that the tracks will be under construction. I was planning this train ride for Friday, November 10th.

Would you recommend I do only one portion? With the bus transfers it says the entire trip will take up to 10 hours. If I take the panoramic train from Montreux to Zweisimmen, will I be able to take a train from there directly to Zurich?

Would love to see as much of the country as possible as I make my way to Zurich, but debating if perhaps I should choose one town to visit on my way OR make sure to use the panoramic trains.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

T

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2017 at 0:02:39 #871309

>> I was planning this train ride for Friday, November 10th … With the bus transfers it says the entire trip will take up to 10 hours.

I can’t work out how you came up with 10 hours. The normal trip Genève-Montreux-Zweisimmen-Interlaken Ost-Brünig Pass-Luzern-Zürich takes 7 hours 26 minutes. On 10 November, with the replacement buses over two short sectors of 15 minutes each, the whole trip will take 8 hours 26 minutes – just an hour longer (see attached timetable printout).

If it were me, I would stick to the Golden Pass route despite the two 15-minute bus trips. The bus through the Brünig Pass up to Brünig-Hasliberg should be a fantastic ride up winding roads with some hairpin bends. Some sections will be through forest, and from other sections you will have lovely views into the valley far below. At Brünig-Hasliberg you will transfer to the train for another great ride down to Giswil past the beautiful Lungernersee (lake), bordered by a picturesque village against a backdrop of mountains, forests and meadows.

>> If I take the panoramic train from Montreux to Zweisimmen, will I be able to take a train from there directly to Zurich?

No, you will need to transfer at Spiez or Bern. If you prefer to avoid the buses, that is a good option, but far less scenic.

>> Would love to see as much of the country as possible as I make my way to Zurich, but debating if perhaps I should choose one town to visit on my way OR make sure to use the panoramic trains.

If you choose the Golden Pass route, you could spend a few hours at Luzern. The iconic Kapellbrücke (Chapel Bridge) and old town are very close to the station.

If you choose to go via Bern, you could stop off there for a few hours. Bern has a beautiful old town too. You could make use of the trams for getting back to the station to make the most of your sightseeing time.

In the end it’s a matter of personal preference.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Geneva to Zurich – Best scenic train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.