Geneva vs Geneva Cornavin

• drhani76
    Participant
    9 posts
    15 April 2018 at 2:50:49 #815330

I will leave my air BNB in Interlaken on 1/5/18. I plan to take golden pass route to Montreux and visit the castle there. I have a train to catch at 6.30pm to Paris Gare de Lyon. I know I need to take train to Geneva. I wonder whether Geneva and Geneva Cornavnin is the same train station. I already search using SBB website but I cannot find the station. Kindly help. Thanks:)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 April 2018 at 2:57:26 #882275

I guess you mean Chillon Castle?

From Montreux you need Genève.

See http://www.myswissalps.com/ge neva/travel and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Genève-Cornavin_railway_stati on.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    15 April 2018 at 19:48:57 #882276

Cornavin is the name that most locals use to refer to the main train station (gare) in Geneva. You will be catching your train to Lyon from Cornavin.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 April 2018 at 20:55:53 #882277

Hello Peterli,

Why does the SBB show a 7 minute walk from Genève, Cornavin to Genève?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    16 April 2018 at 0:11:41 #882278

Hi Rockoyster,

Could it be talking about how far a walk it is from the station (Cornavin) to the edge of the river ? Send me the URL of where you saw this and I’ll try to figure it out.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 April 2018 at 0:26:29 #882279

Hello Peterlii,

Sorry, when I said the SBB I meant the SBB Timetable. See attached timetable extract and map view generated on timetable website.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    16 April 2018 at 4:33:33 #882280

Hej Rockoyster,

The English version of what Wikipedia has to say about Cornavin is not as good as the French one. So here is the much more complete and interesting Gare de Genéve-Cornavin. This is the first time I have inserted a link with the new editing tool. What travelers should know that tracks 7 and 8 are accessed after going by the customs control, so all trains leaving from this last platform are headed for various destinations in France.

Here a pdf of the Geneva train station produced by the CFF.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 April 2018 at 6:10:00 #882281

Thank you Peterlii.

You have mastered link insertion already!

So why does the timetable suggest a 7 minute walk?

drhani76
    Participant
    9 posts
    16 April 2018 at 12:51:52 #882282

Tq so much for info:)

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    16 April 2018 at 13:47:58 #882283

G’day Rockoyster,

It was no great feat to insert a link, as I have been doing this in Hotmail for ages. But t’anks for the encouragement just the same.

Now this seven minute walk you refer to. I guess the only way I might be able to figure this out will be to go to the CFF site and plan a simulated trip from say, Neuchâtel to Lyon and see what it shows. My only guess is that they are referring to the time to go down from other platforms (or from one of the trolley stops outside) through customs and back up to the furthest platform with tracks 7 and 8.

• The thread ‘Geneva vs Geneva Cornavin’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.