Golden Pass connections from Lucerne to Montreaux

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 8:21:11 #816501

Hello

I have been reading many threads on how to get to Montreaux from Lucerne on the Golden Pass Line. We are not traveling until April next year. We are planning to use the Swiss Pass for free travel there. I am having problems finding a timetable as when I enter Lucurne to Montreaux, i believe it is giving me a direct line, when in fact you must change trains.

Any help would be much appreciated

Also is it cheaper to buy the Swiss Pass before we go?

How long should we allow for the day to travel to Montreaux on the Golden Pass. We would like to visit the Castle that is there.

Thank you

Debbie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 12:15:16 #887630

Hi Debbie/Lucy? 🙂 and welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can read about the route and connections on our Golden Pass information page: https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/getti ngthere

Use the timetable: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable and enter Luzern to Montreux VIA Interlaken and Zweisimmen. If you don’t enter VIA stations it will be default give you the most direct route (which usually you want but not always).

You won’t be able to search for next April yet but the route won’t change if you want to search for dates now.

It is about the same price buying the Swiss Travel Pass online or once in country. BUT it is a lot more convenient to buy it online and have it emailed to you to print at home. You will also then have an electronic copy to print again in case you lose the 1st printed copy.

I don’t think you can buy it now for 2019 but you’ll want to wait until winter I think as may find a promotion. Check back here for news: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ promotions

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 22:55:47 #887631

Thank you for that.

I had a look at that timetable and entered in the stations. However it does not say golden pass. Is there a special train we need to jump on from Zweisimmen to Montreaux?

Many thanks

Lucy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 4:16:04 #887632

Hi Lucy,

>> I had a look at that timetable and entered in the stations. However it does not say golden pass. Is there a special train we need to jump on from Zweisimmen to Montreaux?

When you search for connections, first of all a list of possible connections comes up (see Screenshot1 attached).

You have to click on a connection to expand it and get additional information, which will include the words MOB PANORAMIC for the trains between Zweisimmen and Montreux with panoramic windows (see Screenshot2).

All the trains between Luzern and Interlaken Ost are the same, and are called Luzern-Interlaken Express. Between Interlaken Ost and Zweisimmen, you just travel on normal regional trains.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 5:00:04 #887633

Thank you Alpenrose. You have been most helpful to me and it is very much appreciated.

Lucy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 7:38:38 #887634

>> Thank you Alpenrose.

You’re welcome! Enjoy the trip.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 12:41:50 #887635

We will be Traveling from Interlaken to Luzern next month. Are reservations advised for this leg? I believe I read they might not be necessary. Wed July 11th. Would reservations guarantee us a better view (if there is a better view on one side for this leg). I hate to put a time limit on us if we want to do something else but don’t want to miss a train. Any advise is helpful. Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 15:33:51 #887636

Hi Laurie,

No, I don’t think reservations are needed on this section. Trains run frequently. If you can, sit on the left side of the train for a bit nicer views. Noted here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/getti ngthere.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass connections from Lucerne to Montreaux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.