Golden Pass route – classic vs panoramic in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 12:06:50 #815136

Hi,

I will be travelling from Interlaken to Geneva on 10th May with my husband and 20 month old toddler. I wanted to experience both the classic and the panoramic golden pass line trains. I have the Swiss travel pass.

Are the trains operational on that day?

Regards,

Cindy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 16:24:38 #880932

Hi Cindy and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Due to construction on the Golden Pass route until June (a 10km section between Zweisimmen and Montreux that is traveled by bus only) you can’t be guaranteed either panoramic train. They are normally noted as Belle Epoque (heritage) or MOB panoramic on the timetable. You may luck out but you may be on regional trains

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 12:07:16 #880933

Dear Lucas, will the regional trains take a different route than golden Pass route as I am also visiting Switzerland in May this year.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 12:10:27 #880934

The othI shall be moving from Geneva on 12th morning to Interlaken. I was in double mind whether to travel fromGeneva to Interlaken directly via Bern Or take a train from Geneva to Montreux and from there travel by Panoramic train to interlake via Zweisimmen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 14:17:12 #880935

Hi Malraj,

Regional trains run on the same route yes. You’ll always have a bus transfer for about 10-12 minutes due to construction.

The route via Bern is faster but not as scenic I think – though there is no construction on that route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 14:44:48 #880936

Bus transfer from where to where?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 14:51:02 #880937

How many times in a day do Panoramic trains run between Montreux and Lucerne?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 14:52:22 #880938

What would the train journey duration between Geneva and Montreux?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 17:18:59 #880939

The bus transfer is between Montbovon and Chateau d’oex.

Panoramic trains are noted on the timetable as MOB panoramic or Belle Epoque (between Zweisimmen and Montreux) and run several times per day – but they aren’t guaranteed during the construction period.

You can check all travel times on the timetable link above.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 0:44:39 #880940

>> Bus transfer from where to where?

You leave the train and board the waiting bus at Château-d’Oex and board another train at Montbovon for the remainder of the journey to Montreux (or vice versa).

Please see attached screenshots, showing the affected sector in the context of the Zweisimmen-Montreux sector.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 12:00:45 #880941

Lucas, thanks for your replies.

What is the situation for luggage transport? We are planning to carry 2 medium size suitcases and a yoyo foldable stroller. Do you think its too muck of a hassle with a toddler to change trains and buses?

I was thinking of buying the first class swiss travel pass for 8 days. Our itinerary is such

4 MAy- arrive to Zurich, check in at Swiss cascada hotel Luzerne, explore the town in evening

5May- Luzerne- Swiss transport museum, ferry ride on lake

6May- trip to mt Titlis

7May- Luzern to Interlaken( stay at Grand Lindner hotel) ( i was considering a trip to Bern same day)

8May- Mt Jungfrou

9may- Harder Kulm or the Heimwehfluh or both the funiculars

10 May – Interlaken to Geneva.

Would you recommend 1st Class or 2nd class pass? The main reason for choosing the 1st class was the panoramic views on Golden pass line. and the possibility of more leg room for our toddler.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 12:13:30 #880942

How many trains do we need to change in addition to bus journey?

The swiss timetable shows stops and changes at Spiez and Visp, one change for the bus , and a minimum 1 stop at Lausanne. So im looking at 5 train changes? Or is there a direct option for Interlaken to Zweisimmen and then Zweisimmen-Montreux?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 12:52:29 #880943

Dear Alpenrose,

I found your replies in other threads very informative as well.

The SBB/ swiss travel timetables confuse me a bit as they show many connections as opposed to direct trains. It may just be that I didnt figure out how to best use it.

What would you suggest the best for transfer between Luzern to Interlaken on 7 May at about 10 am?

And for Interlaken to Geneve on 10th May?

I will buy the Swiss travel pass for 8 days.

Im debating between 1st class and 2nd. Im travelling with my husband and 20 month old toddler , 2 medium suitcases,a stroller, a diaper bag and a camera bag that need to change trains with us 🙂

love,

Cindy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 13:16:49 #880944

2nd class also has panoramic train carriages on the Golden Pass. 1st class usually has fewer seats on the carriage but I don’t think any more leg room…but perhaps a touch. In 2nd class you have 2 seats, aisle and 2 seats. In 1st class it is usually 1 seat, aisle, 2 seats.

There are direct trains to Zweisimmen from Interlaken yes. You can see the options on your travel date on the timetable (link on earlier post). So from Interlaken to Montreux you can have just 1 train change (Zweisimmen) and 1 bus change due to construction.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 13:38:23 #880945

Thank you, That is helpful

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 1:43:36 #880946

Hi Cindy,

>> I will be travelling from Interlaken to Geneva on 10th May with my husband and 20 month old toddler. I wanted to experience both the classic and the panoramic golden pass line trains.

Quite apart from the effects of the construction works, from 8 Jan to end July 2018, the Golden Pass Belle-Époque carriages are out of service, as they are being renovated. Trains with conventional wagons will operate on this sector at the scheduled times for the Belle-Époque train.

>> 7May- Luzern to Interlaken( stay at Grand Lindner hotel) ( i was considering a trip to Bern same day)

If you go to from Luzern to Interlaken via Bern, you will miss out on the very scenic Golden Pass sector between Luzern and Interlaken. If you have spare time in Interlaken after dropping your luggage off, I would recommend a trip to Mürren instead of Bern, following the circuit described in rockoyster’s post of Jan 27, 2018 – 2:11 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/cable-car-from-lauterbrunnen-to-murren

There is a picture with the route marked on this page:

http://www.bellevuemuerren.ch /english/getting-there/

>> The swiss timetable shows stops and changes at Spiez and Visp, one change for the bus , and a minimum 1 stop at Lausanne.

I’m a bit confused by this. Which trip/date is this in relation to? Visp is not on the Golden Pass route.

>> The SBB/ swiss travel timetables confuse me a bit as they show many connections as opposed to direct trains.

The Swiss Timetable will always show the fastest route by default. Sometimes changing more frequently gets you to your destination faster. However, in the list of connections that comes up in a search, you can select the one with the least number of connections if that is most important to you. Always check which platforms you arrive on and depart from, as you sometimes find a transfer simply means moving to the other side of the same platform.

>> What would you suggest the best for transfer between Luzern to Interlaken on 7 May at about 10 am?

There is a direct train from Luzern to Interlaken Ost at 10:06 on 7 May. This is part of the Golden Pass route, and very scenic.

Direct trains are standard between Luzern and Interlaken Ost, so direct trains should come up regardless of what day and time you search for. The exception would be if there is any construction on the route requiring a short bus-replacement sector – but that is not the case on 7 May 2018.

>> And for Interlaken to Geneve on 10th May?

If you don’t want to travel via the Golden Pass route (Interlaken Ost-Zweisimmen-Montreux, then normal train to Geneva), there are services between Interlaken and Geneva with only one change (at Bern). This is less scenic, but if convenience is more important, this is an option.

If you take the 10:30 departure from Interlaken Ost to Bern, that train will have a family coach with play area (denoted in the timetable with the letters FA), and so will the next train you connect to in Bern (departing for Geneva at 11:34).

The family coach playground can be found upstairs in the carriage at either the very front or rear of the train (at the opposite end from the locomotive). It will be a second-class carriage. The lower deck has space for pushchairs.

There is more information here:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/on-the-train/family.html

The change at Bern will be from Platform 4 to Platform 5. Lifts are located between Sectors C and D of the platforms (closer to D). The platform sector is denoted by square blue and white overhead signs on each platform – see picture here:

tinyurl.com/y8tabrex

>> Im travelling with my husband and 20 month old toddler , 2 medium suitcases,a stroller, a diaper bag and a camera bag that need to change trains with us

Everyone has their own ways of organising such things, but if you can ensure that the diaper bag and camera bag are carried hands-free, that will make things easier.

The family coaches will have level entry from the platform, so you can push your toddler on in the stroller.

The train between Luzern and Interlaken has some doors that provide level entry from the platform – look for doors with a big wheelchair graphic on them, and you can push your toddler aboard on them as well (see attached photo).

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 12:42:08 #880947

Dear Alpenrose,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to all the questions. I will go ahead and buy the first class tickets and use the family zone if needed. That was really helpful, the images of family zone on the trains are adorable.

We live in Dubai which is very family friendly, I think Switzerland will be equally good if not better for the transport system.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass route – classic vs panoramic in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.