Golden Pass worth it if it is going to rain

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 8:36:02 #811692

I have the last leg of my trip to plan. I’ll be in Fribourg and have one more night to stay somewhere before heading to Geneva to fly out (late). My question is, because the forecast is for rain, is it worth taking a scenic train ride. I was thinking maybe the Golden Pass. Also, I’d appreciate any ideas you might have as to what town to stay in. I’m in love with the romantic, classic medieval villages…. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 10:31:41 #862842

Hi Rushfan,

I like the Golden Pass in most weather and it can still be nice with rain – depending on the cloud cover. From Fribourg you can catch the Golden Pass in Interlaken or Zweisimmen (both are a little awkward to get to from Fribourg). You can also visit Gruyere for the cheese and chocolate factories and perhaps stay there or in Lausanne for your last night before Geneva.

Other members may know smaller towns in the area that may suit you as well.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 May 2017 at 22:32:32 #862843

Hi Rushfan,

You can get a direct connection Fribourg to Luzern (no changes) and do the entire Golden Pass line Luzern – Montreux if you like.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 May 2017 at 2:15:37 #862844

Hi Rushfan –

Consider Murten.

Maybe Twann or Ligerz.

Le Landeron fits your description.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 14:34:15 #862845

Thanks to all! ‘My Swiss Alps’ people rock!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 May 2017 at 14:55:06 #862846

Thanks.

<<“Also, I’d appreciate any ideas you might have as to what town to stay in. I’m in love with the romantic, classic medieval villages….”>>

The old town of Fribourg, down by the river, meets your definition.

And, weather forecasts have to be interpreted carefully. There are a lot of micro climates, and I’ve found that a forecast for rain may apply for only part of a day.

Try for a meal at Restaurant au Sauvage

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Golden Pass worth it if it is going to rain’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.