Gotthard Panorama Express from Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 12:44:09 #811555

Hello,

I will be staying in luzern for 4 nights. Out of glacier express/ bernina express /Gotthard Panorama Express which one should i choose as a day trip from lucerne. I found gotthard panoramo quite easy to do compared to the other two.

I have read your post on Gotthard Panorama Express and would like to know if entire trip from luzern to fluelen by boat then train from Flüelen to Göschenen & Göschenen to Bellinzona is covered by swiss pass. read on your site -Boat from Lucerne to Flüelen and train from Flüelen to Bellinzona: free

Do i need any seat reservation for the train journey or can just get in with the swiss pass.

I tried to check on sbb train routes for above mentioned stops but couldnt find gotthard panoramo coach. please can someone help me with train timings.

From bellinzona should i visit lugano? is lugano worth the visit. then from lugano to lucerne back. What time should i start in the morning from lucerne

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 15:51:36 #862202

Hi Snehap,

Yes, The Gotthard Panoramic Express Train would be the best choice as a day trip from Luzern – the easiest by a long shot!
    Yes, the whole trip is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass (Luzern to Bellinzona and Lugano if traveling after July 3).

Yes, reservations are required – you can read about that and find links for making reservations on our information page here.

We also have a link on your Gotthard Panoramic Express Page that takes you to SBB’s website with a timetable. There is only one departure per day (11:12 on the boat to Flüelen).

Tougher question…If you are traveling on after July 3 then the train will end in Lugano so that makes the decision easier. Bellinzona to me is a more historical town and Lugano is lake-side and a little flashier?

Tourism Bellinzona
    Tourism Lugano

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 20:50:58 #862203

1)sbb website mentions- The Gotthard Panorama Express runs on Saturdays and Sundays from 14 April to 22 October 2017. It operates daily from 1 July to 22 October 2017.

I will be in lucerne from 6th May( arrivng at 2pm) to 9th May . So i have to go on The Gotthard Panorama Express on 7th May sunday only. I had planned to visit titlis on 7th may.Please confirm the same.

2) checked the timetable and it mentions first boat leaves at 11.12pm. There is no boat to fluelen before 11.12 pm?

3) reservation price is 28 euro on the website. Can i get reservation one day prior at lucerne station?is reservation compulsory on golden pass with swiss pass as well?I am not interested in VIP seats.

4) reservation for boat needed?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 April 2017 at 23:02:56 #862204

Hi snehap,

Yes, 7 May is your only option for GPE.

If you want to do full GPE trip including steamer you might consider fast Gotthard Base Tunnel train from Luzern to Bellinzona in time to catch GPE back to Luzern departing Bellinzona 11:37 arriving back in Luzern 16:47.

You can do same route as GPE any day on regular boats and regional trains. Just be sure to check timetables for trains via Göschenen for the scenic route.

Another scenic alternative would be regular trains from Luzern to Göschenen to Andermatt then Glacier Express to Chur then regular train return to Luzern. That’s doable in a day.

Can’t say which would suit you best.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2017 at 9:55:20 #862205

Thanks for all the info.

We want to enjoy best scenic route so which one would you suggest.

We want to explore lugano alittle so if we take 7am train from luzern to lugano. Will we be able to see main sights withn 1.30 hours? and then take train from lugano to bellizona at 10.30am to catch gotthard . I think this will be hectic. Please share your thoughts.

Alternate is luzern to fluelen by boat and the train from fluelen to bellizona which arrives at 15.54. Then train from bellizona to lugano . Explore lugano until 7.30 pm and then train back at 7.30 from lugano to luzern. How does this plan look like?

I checked reservation price, price chf26 is mentioned under first class compartment only with 2 class swiss pass. No price mentioned under second class compartment with swiss pass. Please clarify the same. Do we pay 26chf and travel in the first class or there is no reservation needed for second class. I read reservation is mandatory for entire train. Please clarify my doubt.

Most probably will go to luzern station and get the reservation on 6th may.for reservation at the station do i need to show my swiss pass? do people at the counter understand english? So i just say. Please issue reservation for 2nd class gotthard panorama train from luzern to bellizona . I know basic german as well 🙂 It mochte nur reservation fur gotthard mit 2nd klasse swiss pass von luzern bis bellizona .hope its correct in german:)

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 April 2017 at 10:08:20 #862206

You said “We want to explore lugano alittle so if we take 7am train from luzern to lugano. Will we be able to see main sights withn 1.30 hours? and then take train from lugano to bellizona at 10.30am to catch gotthard . I think this will be hectic. Please share your thoughts.

I think hectic would be a good description. I doubt you will see much of Lugano in that time but you will at least get a look at the town and the Lake. Maybe worth it for you. I will leave the experts to explain the ins and outs of reservations versus tickets, First Class Upgrades and Swiss Travel Passes.

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 April 2017 at 13:20:31 #862207

Hi Snehap,

There’s always a fixed supplement to be paid by anyone, even if you own a Swiss Travel Pass. It’s CHF 24 for the entire route or CHF 12 for part of the route. It’s mentioned below the SBB price overview we link to from myswissalps.com/gottha rdpanoramaexpress/tick ets. Apart from that, here’s how it works: a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass provides free traveling in 2nd class Gotthard Panorama Express (so no extra price is displayed there), but requires a CHF 26 supplement when traveling in 1st class. I hope this makes things clear.

Reserving your seats at the Lucerne railway station will work. They’ll speak English. And yes, it’s wise to show your Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2017 at 15:27:32 #862208

Hello Everybody,

There’s a question user Snephead made I also have.

Apparently the Happyrail reservation webpage for GPE regards only to the train reservation, what about the boat from Luzern to Flüelen?

Thank you MySwissAlps people for the forums and the information you provide, it has been quite helpful!

Regards,

Leonardo

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2017 at 20:16:47 #862209

@Annika- Thank you for your suggestions.

1)So i pay surcharge of 26chf with 2nd class swiss pass and travel in 1st class compartment from fluelen to bellizona OR I pay 26chf with second class swiss pass and travel in 2nd class compartment. Hopei dont need to reserve on boat from luzern to fluelen. Just show the swiss pass and travel for free , right?

2) Do we have to change trains in Göschenen or Airolo. Please share journey details.

3) Hope train to lugano leaves from the same bellizona station where gotthard express stops.

4)In lugano should I visit Monte bre or monte san salvatore. Was planning to take funicular to piazza della reforma explore the place and then walk to Parco Civico. We will be in lugano for just 2 hours so please suggest best itinerary.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 5:45:04 #862210

Hi Leonardo and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can’t make reservations on the boat trips – the boat being actually full is more of a theoretical problem than one that actually happens.I’d arrive at the boat docks around 25 minutes before departure perhaps.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 April 2017 at 6:17:18 #862211

Hi Snehap,

Your question 1 above. I think you may be confused between reservation supplements and 1st class upgrade ticket.

Reservation is CHF24. 1st Class Upgrade (only payable if you upgrade to 1st Class) is CHF26.

Question 2. On fast train via Gotthard Base Tunnel you don’t go anywhere near those two stations. GPE goes through them but the only change on route is from boat to train at Fluelen. You need to check time tables and routes at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. Maybe you aren’t actually taking the GPE but regular boat/trains?

Question 3. Yes. But which of your two alternative routes did you choose?

Question 4. A round trip to Monte Bre from the main station would take you most of your two hours unless you go like crazy and get some good connections on bus and funicular and don’t stop up top for more than a few minutes. Similar for Monte Salvatore I would think. Maybe I am just getting old. 😉

Annika
    7116 posts
    28 April 2017 at 8:23:07 #862212

Hi Snehap,

As for your question 2: please consult the Gotthard Panorama Express timetable we link to from myswissalps.com/gottha rdpanoramaexpress/gett ingthere under “More on other websites”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 13:54:59 #862213

Thank you Lucas….

One last question on this subject:

We’re going to acquire the Swiss Travel Pass only when we get to Zurich, is it problem in case I try to make the seats reservation at Happyrail today?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 16:39:55 #862214

Nope!

You don’t have to prove you have the Swiss Travel Pass when buying a reservation (only make sure you have it on the train!:) ).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 17:28:06 #862215

Thanks Lucas…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 20:27:00 #862216

Guys, i dont wish to upgrade to first class on the boat so that means i just show my swiss pass to baord boat from luzern to fluelen and sit on the below deck, right?

My only query -gotthard express needs compulsory reservation from fluelen to bellizona. on the website, there is no price mentioned for swiss pass under 2nd class( no where chf 24 chf for reservation is mentioned).

Please let me know if i have to pay chf24 to reserve seat on GOTTHARD EXPRESS WITH 2ND CLASS SWISS PASS or I just go to the station with swiss pass one day prior and they assign seat for free.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 April 2017 at 21:04:38 #862217

The price for the Gotthard Panorama Express is made up of the following components:

⋅ 1st or 2nd class ticket for the boat and train journey (or Swiss Travel Pass)

⋅ “Gotthard Panorama Express” supplement

You need to pay the CHF24 supplement even if travelling “free” in 2nd class with your STP.

Attachments (found in documents downloadable from http://www.mystsnet.com/en/pr oducts-services/swiss-travel-system/premium-panoramic-trains/gotthard-panorama-express/) provide info on carriages and the supplement. Hope that clarifies.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 April 2017 at 21:44:14 #862218

Looks like adding attachments (see previous post) doesn’t quite work from an iPad. Here they are . . . or you can download the entire document from which they are extracted from http://www.mystsnet.com/en/do wnload-centre/download/31-reservations-info-gotthard-panorama-express-2017/254/file/EN_Reser vations_Info_GoPEx_201 7_01.pdf

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 12:49:26 #862219

Thank you rockoyster for detailed info

please confirm – I can travel from Luzern to fluelen on boat all free with Swiss pass then I just pay 24 chf for seat reservation on gotthard express from fluelen to bellizona

I read that second class gotthard express has no Panaromic coach. Hope we will have a good view?

if any pics of 2nd class coach would be great

Annika
    7116 posts
    30 April 2017 at 20:16:23 #862220

Hi Snehap,

Yes, that’s correct. The boat ride is free and you need a CHF 24 supplement for the train section if you travel in 2nd class.

In general regular windows provide good views too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 7:31:20 #862221

You mentioned about another option- Another scenic alternative would be regular trains from Luzern to Göschenen to Andermatt then Glacier Express to Chur then regular train return to Luzern. That’s doable in a day.

1)I just checked sbb website for seat reservation from andermatt to chur but couldnt finad any. please can someone check website for availability fro 6th to 9th may for 2 adults and reconfirm.

I read second class coach in gotthard express has no panoramic windows. Is it true? Can anyone share pic of second class. Hope we can get good view with gotthard ELSE should we opt for normal trains.

Please please share expert advice

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • The thread ‘Gotthard Panorama Express from Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.