Gotthard Panorama Express tickets from Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 1:46:54 #815666

Hello

My sister and I, over 50’s are spending 3 days in Lucerne in September 18 and wish to travel by Gotthard Panorama Express ( including boat trip from Lucerne) to Lucarno and onward to Lake Como. I have looked on this site for ticket information, but find it confusing. Can anyone advise on what tickets we need and also how to book this trip? Also would there be any tour companies which can book it for me?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2018 at 3:59:41 #883880

Hello Deborrah and welcome to MySwissAlps,

I think you mean Lugano not Lucarno.

You should find everything you need to know here http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress. NB it does not run on Mondays but you can follow the same route on regular trains if you have to travel on a Monday.

You will need a reservation for the GPEX train Flüelen to Lugano.

If you search the SBB Timetable for Luzern Bahnhofquai to Lugano departing 11:12 you will find the right trip to buy the tickets at the top of the list. See attached.

That assumes you don’t have a Swiss Travel Pass in which case only a reservation for the train is required.

It that all sounds to hard just buy a ticket from one of the retailers at http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress/ packages.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 6:14:37 #883881

Thanks very much rockoyster for your reply and for correcting where I need to go…Lugano. I’ll follow your advice and see how I go

Cheers

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2018 at 7:42:58 #883882

Depending on what you other Swiss travel plans are a Saver Day Pass is another simple way to cover the trip once you have a reservation.

You can make reservations here. Just enter Flüelen to Lugano via Göschenen departing 14:10 on your chosen date.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 13:26:02 #883883

Dear Rockoyster Sir, i have one another query with Gotthard Panorama Express and my journey will be in Nov 18 and 5 days at Switzerland ,out of which 3 days Lucern hotel been booked and also be taking winter tell passs. Now i have confusion with regard to my rest two night stay and on 6th day departure direct train to Venice(as hotel booked there already) and hence, i am a bit confused for rest of my journey for 2 days …as i heard Gothard Panorama train be a very good option for italy visit also…..i know with winter tell pass my journey till Goschenen be free…….

Sir I wanted to know how i made my itinerary for next 2 days stay and which pass be useful for those day if suppose i take winter 3 days tell pass or else winter 5 days tell pass be the best and further on 6th day of departure through Gotthard express to Italy, how be the best option….say saver day pass or what else…

Your advice be very helpful to avoid confusion and have clear understanding of my Switzerland first time tour…………thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 18:37:10 #883884

Hi Hansaria,

You will only know what the best option is if you check the prices of all your planned train, bus, gondola, boat tickets (you plan to take) and do the math to compare prices. We have a page on how to choose the best rail pass that has a spreadsheet to help you: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 May 2018 at 21:09:56 #883885

Hello Hansaria,

The Gotthard Panorama Express only runs until 14 October. After that date you can follow the same route on regular trains only. The boat schedule on Lake Lucerne will also be restricted by then so be sure to check those timings if you plan to include the boat leg of the route.

The Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) is certainly an option for your day 6 but as Chantal says the best overall pass depends on your individual plans.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 4:42:15 #883886

Thanks Chantal and Rockoyster Sirs for replies and clarification…and accordingly, i booked all 5 days at one Lucerns hotel only………

• The thread ‘Gotthard Panorama Express tickets from Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.