Board TGV to Paris in Zurich, ticket from Basel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2019 at 19:04:29 #822401

Hi,

We have Basel to Paris ticket(23 June) for TGV train. The train starts at Zurich station.

We have Saver day pass for that day.

Can we get on at Zurich station?

The following day we have return flight to Home country so don’t want to risk anything.

Please help/guide.

Regards,

Amar

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 June 2019 at 7:24:14 #915787

You can use a Saver Day Pass but watch out if you are travelling second class. You may not get a seat. See attached which shows those trains are expected to be heavily used (3 red figures).

You may be safer opting for an earlier non-TGV train and connecting with the TGV, on which you presumably have reservations at Basel SBB.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2019 at 7:37:05 #915788

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    I have saver day first class ticket for that day.
    But Basel to Paris second class ticket.

So if I want to get on at Zurich, can I just walk in like normal train in TGV train?

Also I think, I will need to change from first class to second class at Basel.
    So it would be better if I get on Basel only.

Regards,
    Amar

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 June 2019 at 10:01:47 #915789

Hi Amar,

If it was me I would use the 1st Class Saver Day Pass on an earlier train and then board the TGV at Basel. If you take the TGV to Basel you are going to have to move to 2nd Class at Basel anyway and you have no idea how full the 1st Class will be from Zurich to Basel.

Annika
    7115 posts
    22 June 2019 at 14:22:51 #915790

Hi Amar,

You’ll have to find your way to 2nd class in Basel anyway. Whether you already board the TGV in Zurich or pick another connection and enter the TGV in Basel, is up to you.

Just a note: did you already buy your Saver Day Pass? That would have cost CHF 52 (assuming you don’t have a Swiss Half Fare Card to get the discounted version of CHF 29). If you use it for Zurich-Basel only, and don’t make other journeys that day, it’s actually cheaper to just get regular tickets Zurich-Basel, which cost CHF 34. Please see

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2019 at 17:25:41 #915791

Thanks to both of you for help.

I have saver day pass which i am using for Glacier express from Zermatt to Chur.

I will go directly from Chur to Basel and wait there for 2 hours.

I am travelling with my wife and two kids.

On platform, is there any way to identify where our second class cabin will come. So that we don’t run around once the TGV stops on the platform.

Regards,

Amar

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 June 2019 at 20:50:04 #915792

Wow Amar, what time does your TGV depart Basel? Zermatt to Paris via Chur is a long train ride. But you are certainly getting value for money from your SDP. 😉

You will see a blue sign above the station platform which shows where along the platform that 1st and 2nd class carriages will arrive. There may be more detail for the TGV but I’m not sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2019 at 4:10:11 #915793

Hi,

My train departs at 6.34 in the evening. I will reach Chur at 1.27 pm.

While doing some more research, it seems the train departs from Basel only.

I want to thanks this forum for giving valuable suggestions for Switzerland trips.

You guys ROCKS.

Regards,

Amar

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 June 2019 at 4:29:54 #915794

Hi Amar,

Sounds good. I see you are on the crack of dawn GEX.

There is a direct (no changes) train departing Chur 15:09 for Basel. That would be a good choice. A change at Zurich would be a nuisance.

Your welcome. Happy to be of assistance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2019 at 4:32:06 #915795

Thanks again.

• The thread ‘Board TGV to Paris in Zurich, ticket from Basel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.