Help arranging evening activities in Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2019 at 19:49:07 #822632

Hello

We will be in Lucerne for 3 nights, 2 days in early August, and I’m looking for some advice on how best to arrange our evenings (looking for sight-seeing, not partying). We plan to spend both mornings/early afternoons at Mts. Rigi and Pilatus. Therefore, we will have 2 afternoons/evenings and I’d like to fit the following in, but I’m not sure the most logical order to do things in:

– walk the Musegg Wall

– visit the Lion Monument, possibly the Glacier Garden (but I’ve read mixed reviews about that)

– walk all around Old Town

– walk across both wooden bridges

– dinner at Zunfthausrestaurant Pfistern (or something similar … Swiss fare/outdoor dining/views of river)

*We have a 90 min. chocolate making/tasting at Max Chocolatier on our first afternoon.

We are staying at a hotel near the train station. I’d also like to know if there is a preferred direction to walk the Musegg Wall (from East to West or vice versa), as well as any other tips for the Nine Towers. Or any other advice for our two evenings in Lucerne (we are not really interested in museums).

I thank you in advance for your recommendations – this forum is so interesting and valuable to me!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2019 at 23:12:50 #916851

Like all Swiss cities, Luzern is small. You will have ample time to do the things on your list. If the weather is nice just wander around the waterfront or take another boat trip.

You say you don’t like museums, but in Luzern you shouldn’t miss the Verkerhshaus, the Swiss national transport museum (includes a planetarium)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 July 2019 at 23:37:01 #916852

Hi Sandy –

Thanks for including your dates .

<<“visit the Lion Monument, possibly the Glacier Garden (but I’ve read mixed reviews about that)”>>

The Lion Monument had a substantial emotional impact on my 8 year old granddaughter in 2009. Stay long enough for a tour group to leave, so you can sit and look for a while.

A review of the Gletschergarten is nonsense. It is an intriguing piece of geology. If you are interested, it is good; if you are not interested, it is useless. To each his/her own. In my opinion, what you should not miss in that area is the Bourbaki Panorama. A hit with all of my visitors of all ages.

http://www.bourbakipanorama.c h/en/

Do a search on the internet for that.

Also, look inside the Jesuit Church.

<<“dinner at Zunfthausrestaurant Pfistern (or something similar … Swiss fare/outdoor dining/views of river)” >>

Rathaus Braürei

http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch /

and Restaurant Schiff,

schiffluzern.ch/en/

both by the river, close to Pfistern, , are excellent. Both have Swiss stuff. Both have outdoor dining. Braürei has a wider range of prices as well as simple things. Schiff is more of a traditional restaurant. Very good kitchen and wine list.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 10:57:16 #916853

Thanks Slowpoke and 1960man! Appreciate your responses and suggestions, very helpful!

One last question though – is there a preferred direction to walk the Musegg Wall in? I thought I’d read a while ago, that it’s easier (more downhill) to walk from west to east. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Best,

Sandy

Lizzieannie
    Participant
    9 posts
    4 July 2019 at 13:10:57 #916854

I was in Lucerne a few weeks ago, and walked the Musegg Wall east to west, the direction recommended in the Lucerne City Guide. Realistically, it makes no difference in the direction you walk, but there is a difference in access. I accessed the wall via a path from Museggstrasse (at the top of Mariahilfgasse), and then up an extremely steep staircase. At the other end the stairs were much easier, but there was a very steep zigzag path down to Brugglig. I was glad I did it this way – it was easier going up a steep staircase, than walking up the steep path! From Museggstrasse to Muhlenplatz probably only took half an hour, and I then walked across the Spreuerbrucke – much more interesting than the Chapel Bridge.

It probably only takes about 10 mins to walk to the Lion Monument from Schwanenplatz, but I’d either go very early in the morning, or late afternoon. We made the mistake of going 9.30-10.00 ish, and it was wall to wall Chinese tour groups, never less than 4-5 groups at a time – as quickly as one group left, another arrived. Despite all that, it was still as beautiful and sad as I remembered from years ago, and had an emotional impact on us both.

We also ate at the Pfistern – a very pleasant meal in a lovely spot.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 July 2019 at 14:02:14 #916855

Hi Lizzieannie –

<<“and I then walked across the Spreuerbrucke – much more interesting than the Chapel Bridge.”>>

That has been my experience as well. I agree, although the history of the Kapellbrücke makes it quite interesting.

The operation of the weir and the history of the power plant is quite interesting. The signage was nice….can’t remember if it was only in German or also in English.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 July 2019 at 16:24:46 #916856

Hi Lizzieannie,

If you were there late May, you may have been there at the same time as a group of 12000 Chinese tourists. This was exceptional even for Swiss standards.

pvonk
    Participant
    383 posts
    4 July 2019 at 20:01:29 #916857

I just checked my photos of my last trip to Luzern. The power plant sign, “Das Kraftwerk von 1887/89” is in German followed by English. There may be other signs, but I only have a picture of that one.

• The thread ‘Help arranging evening activities in Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.