Sending luggage ahead and the Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2018 at 22:03:59 #813951

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Myself, my wife and my son (12 yrs) will be traveling through Switzerland this summer. Specifically here is what we have planned over the course of a few days (we will be in Germany the week prior). I’m planning going all first class.

Day 1

Glacier Express – Chur to Brig

Brig to Bern

Day 2

Bern to Lucern

Day 3

Lucern City, Museums, etc

Day 4

Lake Cruise in Lucern, Rigi Railway

Day 5

Fly Home

My Questions

1. It looks like a 3 or 4 day swiss pass would be the best for us? Would get us into the museums, 1/2 on Rigi, etc. Would a 3 be better than a 4?

2. The free Swiss Family Pass would take care of my son, so I only need to purchase a pass for my wife and I, is that correct?

3. We’d like to drop our luggage off the night we arrive in Chur (Day 0) and pickup in Lucern on Day 2. – I assume the 3 or 4 day pass will allow us to do this, even though we are stopping in Bern?

4. Is there any reason where a 1/2 fare card would be a better deal for our family?

5. We plan to use he Flight Luggage option, dropping off our outbound luggage at the Lucern train station on Day 4, we are flying Swiss out of Zurich and will just take the train from Lucern to the airport.

Thank you again!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 January 2018 at 23:00:58 #873664

Hi wdwms –

Welcome to my Swiss Alps.

You’ve done your homework. It looks good to me.

Your day has time to look at Bern if you wish.

I leave the details of passes to the experts.

I note that you say:

<<“3. We’d like to drop our luggage off the night we arrive in Chur (Day 0) and pickup in Lucern on Day 2. – I assume the 3 or 4 day pass will allow us to do this, even though we are stopping in Bern?”>>

The luggage transfer service is independent of your having a pass. You must show either a ticket or your pass to use it, but that is to make sure that you are actually traveling to where your luggage is going.

The pass does not pay for luggage transfer.

Watch out for opening hours at luggage offices, In most places, they don’t stay open very late.

Chur:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/chur-station/shops/shop-detail.html/baggage-500-9000

Weekdays- o700 to 1830

Weekends- 0700 to 1730.

You can check Luzern yourself by looking under stations and services on the SBB website, then following links. The hours are a bit more liberal, if I recall correctly.

I’ve addes a few photos of Bern.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 January 2018 at 2:14:57 #873665

Hello wdwms and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Q1. If you are doing lake cruise and Rigi on day 4 then a 4 day pass would be better than 3. Rigi is free with STP.

Q2. Correct.

Q3. Slowpoke answered this. Carrying luggage on Swiss trains is not really a drama though. Even on the Glacier Express.

Q4. Well it won’t get you into museums etc. but you can only be sure by doing the math. See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Q5. Yes you can do that but see Q3. Pick a train that goes direct to the Airport. Some trans require a change at Zurich main station and that is best avoided.

I wonder if you have considered taking the Glacier Express all the way to Zermatt. It seems a shame to pass so close and not get to see the Matterhorn.

If you go from Brig to Bern then consider taking the route via Kandersteg. The Regio- Express Lötschberger train takes you from Brig to Bern, over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley (words plagiarised from http://www.bern.com/en/detail /loetschberger-circular-tour). Much more scenic than the faster route via Visp and a longish tunnel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2018 at 4:31:34 #873666

Thanks all for the great responses, let me dig a bit further here and see if I have other questions. Thanks so muhc!!

• The thread ‘Sending luggage ahead and the Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.