Help with 5 days in Lucerne/Bernese Oberland areas

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 9:52:08 #812586

Hello everyone!

I need some help with my Lucerne/Bernese Oberland itinerary. BTW, I will be travelling with my 81 yr old dad so we will be moving pretty slow and he cannot walk fast nor walk for long distances without asking.

How many days best to spend in each place? I have a rough itinerary below. Any suggestions? And which round trip is recommended, Mt Pilatus Golden trip or Mt Rigi majestic roundtrip? Thanks so much!

LUCERNE (2) /Bernese Oberland (3.5)– 5.5 days

• 9/17: Gothard panoramic express from Lugano to Lucerne

o Half day: Eve: chapel bridge. Old town

• 9/18: Mt Pilatus Golden trip or Mt Rigi majestic roundtrip? HELP!

• 9/19: 1st half of day: Lion Monument and Glacier Musuem, Go to Wengen

BERNESE OBERLAND

OPTION A – original plan

• 9/19: Wengen (base) (check in)

• 9/20: Grindelwald / Schynige Platte

• 9/21: Lauterbrunnen/ Murren

• 9/22: Take Golden Pass to Montreux

• Head to Salzburg/Vienna (1 wk) – may take a flight from Geneva to Vienna

I didn’t realize that there were other beautiful places to see! As I don’t want to just see mountains. Is there any way to fit these in? What’s the order of recommendation if I can’t do it all? Or would I need an extra day? Other places I’m interested in: Lake Brienz (how can we best see this? By boat? I heard Iseltwald is nice?), Aareschlucht gorge, Beatus hohlen. Any places is a MUST SEE and what I could cut out? Should I add a day and cut from Austria?

OPTION B – better?

• 9/19: Wengen (check in), Grindelwald – Is Wengen still the best base based on new itinerary?

• 9/20: Lauterbrunnen/ Murren / Schynige Platte

• 9/21: Lake Brienz/ Aareschlucht gorge

• 9/22: Take Golden Pass to Montreux or should I skip this altogether and go back to Zurich and take the train to Salzburg? Is the Golden Pass to Montreux worth it?

Thanks so much for your time everyone!!! =)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 11:36:03 #866640

Hi Chyna,

Just a couple of observations, particularly bearing your father in mind. The Aareschlucht Gorge is beautiful and a very different experience from mountain tops BUT it is quite a long walk through the gorge from end to end and not easy to stop on the way for a rest because of the way the walkway is set up. I don’t think your father would manage it unfortunately. Similarly by Beatushohlen were you thinking of the caves? It is a steep climb to the entrance and the path through is uneven and sometimes slippery underfoot so again probably not suitable for your father.

Iseltwald is nice but only worth a brief stop as it is very small. You could get off the boat there, have a little wander round, have a refreshment break then get next boat or perhaps a bus back to Interlaken?

If you are going to go to Murren, then a trip on the funicular up to Allmendhubel is a possibility – there is a flower trail there you could go on while your father takes a rest sitting and looking at the lovely views! The restaurant/café there is to be recommended.

Cruising on the lakes – either Brienzersee or Thunersee is a relaxing way to spend your time and is less weather dependent than some activities though of course nicer if weather is at least fine and dry.

Deciding between Rigi and Pilatus is tricky – we have done both and like them both! Possibly Rigi is the easier trip as if I remember correctly it is quite a long walk from Kriens to the bus stop back to Lucerne following the trip down from Pilatus.

Hope this helps a bit.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 16:32:44 #866641

Hi Chyna,

I don’t know if anything you list is a must-see for you…it’s hard to say whether you should add a day in Switzerland and take out a day from Austria – both countries are lovely. You need to compare what you are doing in Austria and decide what is more important for you to see.

Wengen or Lauterbrunnen would be both good options for either plan of yours (Lauterbrunnen is maybe a bit more convenient but Wengen isn’t difficult:) ).

A Lake trip on Lake Brienz is certainly a nice option if you need a mountain break. Use the railways timetable to plan out your trips.

The Golden Pass is a nice trip – especially at the end from Zweisimmen to Montreux when you can book on a panoramic train. There are several train connections that must be done on this route – so maybe not very convenient for your father?

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 July 2017 at 7:17:16 #866642

Hi Chyna,

You wrote : Any places is a MUST SEE?

You don’t have Jungfraujoch listed. That is usually at the top of most people’s list if visiting the Jungfrau region. Perhaps the altitude is a worry for your dad?

I did the Lauterbrunnen – Grütschalp – Mürren – Gimmelwald – Stechelberg – Lauterbrunnen loop. It is great and as Maggie mentioned you can take the Allmendhubel Funicular. You can also take the cable car up to the top of Schilthorn from Mürren.

Another “loop” you might consider (even if you aren’t doing Jungfraujoch) is Wengen – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald then to Wilderswil – Schynige Platte – Wilderswil – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen

Those two “loops” will just about fill in your only two full days in Wengen so it would be hard to jam much else in.

If you skip the Montreux trip then you could take the Lake Brienz boat Interlaken – Brienz on your final morning and then train to Luzern and Zurich ready for your set off to Austria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 10:01:45 #866643

Hi,

Thanks for all the help so far. I need to the following:

I will land in Zurich on 6th of August. I will book “‘ swiss travel pass ” on line and collet in Zurich airport

when I arrive. Question is how early should I book these travel passes and

how long I wait in the queue for collection (since I already book on line)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 12:40:23 #866644

If you buy the Swiss Travel Pass online I would suggest having it emailed to you to print at home. That saves you time at the SBB office (which could be 5 minutes or 45 minutes depending on the lines at the office). Then you can just go straight to your train after picking up your luggage!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 13:02:29 #866645

Thanks. I am aware about it. But then,

1) how to validate ourself our tickets ?

2) Other thing is that I heard we have to carry this e mail print out along with our identity (pass port) always whenever I travel inside swiss. Is it true?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 16:20:36 #866646

You don’t have to validate the Swiss Travel Pass (in 99% of cases) so no worries there.

Also, yes you do have to carry the Swiss Travel Pass along with your passport when you are traveling in Switzerland. This is true of an emailed ticket you print out, or a ticket you pick up at the rail office.

So the print out version is a lot more convenient.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 17:03:55 #866647

THANKS

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 18:36:49 #866648

Thanks so much Maggie! This is really helpful. I read that there’s one entrance at the gorge where people with mobility issues can enter, walk up to a certain point and can turn back. It’s too beautiful not to miss! And and good to know about the extra walk to Pilatus to the bus stop. I guess there’s no tram and no other way than walking to get there from Kriens ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 18:37:25 #866649

Thanks Lucas!!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 18:43:23 #866650

Thanks so much Rockoyster! I heard Jungfraujoch was way too touristy and very expensive so I decided to skip that. I’m wondering if I should see the Schilthorn but that seems to be a long trip as well? And maybe similar to what I will already plan on seeing? I know I can’t do everything so need to pick and choose.

The loop info is very helpful as I didn’t come across them from researching. Which of the 2 loops do you recommend? I’m assuming the first one. I really want to see the Lake Brienz and Aareschlucht gorge and I think we may stick with the Golden Pass trip and then just fly to Vienna from Geneva. Thanks!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 July 2017 at 21:43:41 #866651

Hi Chyna,

If you do the Mürren loop the cable car from Mürren to Schilthorn is 17 minutes each way. If it is a clear day well worth a ride.

And BTW you will see Lake Brienz on your way from Luzern to Wengen. The train runs the full length of the northern shore of the Lake. Given you have earlier travelled the full length of Lake Luzern on Gotthard Panorama trip I’m not sure a lake cruise ought to be a priority for your limited time. Your choice.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 July 2017 at 23:28:17 #866652

Hi Chyna,

Another spot on the Mürren loop – on the bus connection between Lauterbrunnen and Stechelberg – http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/truemmelbach-falls-water-in-a-corset-of-stone.html

Not sure how Dad friendly though.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 July 2017 at 6:27:06 #866653

Hi Chyna,

A few photos of Brienz and Lake Brienz taken from the Luzern-Interlaken Express. You can see how close the boat jetty is to the station.

Same at Interlaken Ost. Boats depart from jetty about 100 metres from station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2017 at 21:09:07 #866654

Hi Chyna

re Trummelbach falls – there is a lift to take you part of the way up but a metal stair case to see it all and it gets pretty slippery underfoot from all the spray – unfortunately I doubt if suitable for your Dad. Would he be happy to sit outside and enjoy a rest in the fresh air while you ventured inside?

Maggie

PS sorry if most of my comments seem negative but I am in my mid-70’s and while I have visited most of the places I mention I was younger and fitter than I am now and I would not try the caves or Trummelbach again – I could probably do Aareschlucht but don’t remember any places along the route where it is possible to sit and rest if necessary. I am sure you will both have a great time as there is so much to choose from that are possible for your Dad! Don’t let me discourage you please.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2017 at 18:00:03 #866655

Thank you maggiehorswell! No, I really appreciate your input! It’s been very helpful in terms of whether it’s safe to bring my dad or not. I rather have an honest opinion.

re Trummelbach falls, If we take the lift part of the way and stop there would we get to see a good view of the falls? And can we take the lift back down or is it a one way path?

Thanks again! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 6:56:02 #866656

I just read about the Thrill walk! I can do that doing the Murren loop and go up Schilthorn. Have you done it? Wonder if I can drag my dad, haha. schilthorn.ch/en/Angeb ot/Schilthorn/2_THRILL %3Cbr%3EBirg_2677_m_._ 8783_ft/Thrill_Walk

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 July 2017 at 7:20:00 #866657

No, haven’t done it. Didn’t actually go up Schiltorn due to cloud cover and we were on a tight schedule. On the bucket list for next time. Is Dad a James Bond fan?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 7:49:45 #866658

YES, TOTALLY!!! We both are 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 9:12:56 #866659

Hi Chyna

Yes the elevator can take you down again or you can walk. Personally I don’t think it would be worth the cost of the entrance fee if you merely went in for a quick look from the platform by the elevator. A more satisfying waterfall experience would be to take the boat from Brienz or Interlaken to Giessbach Falls and the funicular up to the hotel and falls. Your Dad could probably manage to get to a point where he could get a good view of the falls then rest on the hotel terrace if you wanted to explore further by climbing up to a higher point. You can then continue the boat trip to Brienz or Interlaken. Be sure to note the boat times when you first arrive at Giessbach so you know when to take the funicular back down to catch the boat you want.

Enjoy!

Maggie

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The thread ‘Help with 5 days in Lucerne/Bernese Oberland areas’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.