Home printed Swiss Travel Pass activation process?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2015 at 13:37:37 #807828

please suggest on the process on how to activate home printed swiss pass purchased online, as it bears my name and valid starting 6th Sep till 9th Sep 2015 (swiss travel pass for an adult) with validity mentioned duly on the print out along with my date of birth and passport number, this way shall i anticipate the same will be valid starting 6th September and i do not require to get this stamped at railway station ? also on what time exactly on 6th sep, i can start using this ? if i need to get this stamped duly, where exactly should i ?

i would like to ask if you may suggest any one day pass for 2 adults and 1 child aged 3.5 years, i know child of this age is free, but just mentioning in case, actually i had purchased a 4 days pass and our stay is 5 days so asking the same, please suggest

thank you very much for your help,

regards

Hyder

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    26 August 2015 at 14:08:15 #845746

Hello Hyder, welcome to MySwissAlps,

Usually these kind of passes can be validated by yourself, by filling out the blank fields. The pass validity starts at midnight. There are hardly any night trains in Switzerland, so in reality you can take the first train early in the morning. This page provides more details about validation: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ howtouse. Feel free to attach a photo of your pass so that I can give you more detailed instructions.

What are your travel plans for day 5? There’s no one day travel pass for the whole country, but some cities offer free public transport if you book an hotel there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2015 at 7:03:08 #845747

Hi, we bought our Swiss pass online and printed it out before leaving home. We were also confused, so asked staff at Zurich train station, he checked it and said if it had the start date written on it then it it was good just to start using it on that day. We did so and had no problems. Just hop on the train, bus or tram no other ticket is required. Great way to travel in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2015 at 9:37:42 #845748

Hello,

thank you very much for your reply, here is my full itinerary, kindly suggest how it is, i am travelling with family, Me, my wife and 3.5 year old kid, (3 members), our travel pass starts from 6th, and so i was asking your suggestions for 5th Sep, please find attached the pic, for security reasons i cropped the part from travel pass, i hope ok,

Day 1 – (5 September 15) Arrival in Basel, 9: 30 AM, Go straight from Basel airport to train station by Bus, a 13 minutes journey – TRAVEL PASS REQUIRED, ticket cost 4.5 euro. Catch a train which is every 20 minutes from Basel railway station to Zurich HB (MAIN TRAIN STATION), 45 minutes journey – GO straight to the hotel in Zurich, Hotel ibis Zurich Adliswil (£58)Activities in Zurich, Rhine falls, City side

Day 2 – (6 September 15) Engelberg. Night stay in Engelberg ENGELBERG RAILWAY STATION – ‘Engelberg, Bahnhof, Switzerland’Catch a train from Zurich HB to engelberg which starts 9 AMand a 2 hour journey > you will reach engelberg around 11 AM, then inengelberg > Go to hotel > we will go TITLIS today Insha’Allah and spend whole day in TITLIS > come back to hotel and spend night H+ Hotel Sonnwendhof Engelberg (£88)4.3/ 558 ratings

Day 3 – (7 September 15) Zermatt. We Start early from Engelberg railway station to Zermatt,Insha’Allah as per below time table, as train is between every 1 hours, we plan to start early at 5 Am to catch a train departing 6 Am to reach Zermatt around11 Am, Insha’Allah

Go to Hotel straight, Haus Darioli (£63)Bahnhofstrasse643920 ZermattSwitzerland, +412796727481st day in Zermatt – get a cog wheel train to GORNEGRAT as train is every 30minutes, and it will take 30 minutes to reach there, time table is below,http://www.gornergratbahn.ch/ Documents/Fahrplan_201 4_2015_EN.pdf

2ND DAY 8th of Sep 15 – GALCIER EXPRESS FROM ZERMATT TO CHUR, Insha’Allah, 1st train starts from 8AM reaching chur at 13:34 http://www.glacierexpress.ch/ EN/timetable_tickets/T imetable/summer/Pages/ default.aspx

Day 4 – (8th September), INTERLAKEN 1st day in Interlaken, (INTERLAKEN OST STATION IS NEAR TO JUNGFRAJOUCH) Arrived 17:22 in Interlaken station, go straight to hotel,roam around the city after freshen up, 2nd day, 9th of September 15 We will start early and go to The Jungfraujoch Mountain via train, i.e. 9th of September, the train journey will be a 2.30 hours trip,

Later in the evening on 9th September, we will catch a train from Interlaken to Basel around 6 PM which is a 2 hour journey and we will reach Basel around 8 Pm,

Day 5, (9th September), stay in Basel. Go straight to the hotel and catch a flight tomorrow morning early morning on 10th September, the 5th day,Hotel, B&B Pappelweg

thank you very much for your suggestion

regards

Hyder

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2015 at 16:35:26 #845749

I think it may be best if the expert can comment on your itinerary.

However we took all our advice from myswissalps.com in which recommends a 7 day tour "Ultimate Swiss Scenic Trains" do it yourself tour. We followed the ‘shopping list’ and bought an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass and booked all the appropriate hotels as recommended and stayed the extra night in beautiful Lucerne before completing our Swiss sojourn in Basel.

Everything worked very well. If you are looking for a great itinerary in Switzerland covering all the best places we can highly recommend this tour.

Arno
    15481 posts
    29 August 2015 at 11:59:08 #845750

Hi Hyder,

Thanks for the additional details. It looks like you’ve given your itinerary much thought. Two comments though:
    1) You move to many different towns in only a few days. That means that it depends on the weather of just one day whether you can enjoy the views of Mount Titlis and Jungfraujoch.
    2) Your hotels in Zurich and Basel are not centrally located, so it will take more time to get there and there won’t be many attractions close-by. If you’re aware of that it’s perfectly fine of course.

You made the right choice by using the Swiss Travel Pass for day 2 to day 5. On day 1, you can go to the SBB ticket office of Basel airport. They can probably sell you one ticket which includes the train and the buses in Basel and Zurich.

The image of the pass you attached shows that it’s valid from September 6 to 9, and you don’t need a stamp.

Enjoy your stay!

Arno
    15481 posts
    29 August 2015 at 12:00:01 #845751

Good to hear you liked that tour so much Kalimpong! Thanks for mentioning that here.

• The thread ‘Home printed Swiss Travel Pass activation process?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.