Review Hotel Waldhaus am See, St. Moritz

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2016 at 21:01:18 #809873

Hi everyone,

Thought you might like my opinion on the hotel we stayed at in St. Moritz – the Hotel Waldhaus am See. It is not a cheap option, but we took the Bed and Breakfast package and ate lunches while out, typically on mountain tops, and bought sandwiches to eat for supper to keep costs down! The included Engadine travel pass also saved us a lot of money as it covered local buses and trips up the mountains.

Our room was spacious and had everything we needed. There was a generous bowl of fruit and a carafe of water waiting for us and a rucksack for us to use during our stay. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room too. The en-suite bathroom was large and modern. We had excellent views over the lake and it was easy to do a walk right round the lake. We had snow one night so I have included 2 photos of our view – one of the morning after the snow and the 2nd from 2 days later! All the staff were very helpful and friendly – nothing was too much trouble and their advice was spot on. Breakfasts were excellent – plenty of choice available. The free shuttle bus to and from the station was much appreciated. The proximity to the station was very useful and we made full use of the Engadine travel card provided by the hotel.

It was quite a steep walk up from the station but that was because of its superb location overlooking the lake so worth the effort!

Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 August 2016 at 9:39:07 #855085

Thanks for this review Maggie! I haven’t stayed there myself but I know the location well and it is indeed superb. The steep walk you wrote about is right before the hotel, right? Short but steep.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2016 at 15:20:37 #855086

Yes indeed Arno – short but steep!

We had emailed the hotel to let them know our train’s arrival time and they sent the shuttle bus to meet us at the station. We also booked the bus to take us down with our luggage to send ahead of us on departure day and the driver waited for us to take is back up to the hotel for breakfast!

We found a couple of ways to shorten the walk by (a) using the underpass under the station and (b) instead of walking all the way round the road to the main entrance we went through the hotel car park to the terrace area where we found a lower entrance where we could use our room key to access the lower floor and take the lift up from there!

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 August 2016 at 7:14:16 #855087

Hi Maggie-

Thanks.

I have never found my preferred option for staying around the area, and this sounds like it would move to the top of the list.

usually we stay at the other end of the valley, for example, in Guarda. But, sometimes we head to the St. Moritz area, and tolerate the higher tourist density.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 11:34:07 #855088

Hi Slowpoke

Actually we didn’t find St. Moritz was particularly busy with tourists despite it being high season. We saw an occasional group in St. M. Dorf with a guide but it was mainly quiet. The only time we saw crowds was the morning busloads of people (mostly locals) arrived at the lake for Swiss Orienteering Week! We were heading off to Piz Nair so it wasn’t a problem.

It was actually a lot quieter than the Bernese Oberland.

Maggie

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 August 2016 at 14:42:14 #855089

That’s what I noticed in summer as well. Only the trains from St. Moritz to Tirano were very busy occasionally. It was much more crowded in the area in winter.

• The thread ‘Review Hotel Waldhaus am See, St. Moritz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.