How to buy a class upgrade in the SBB Mobile app

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 15:59:16 #810777

>> I believe you also mentioned one time about upgrading from 2nd Class to 1st Class (last autumn trip reports) quickly through the SBB app. If that was you, could you walk me through the steps on the app?

This post is in response to the above question from the thread

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/grindelwald-buses

This procedure is for people who already have a second-class ticket or pass, and want to upgrade to first class for a specific sector. I found this a useful thing to do when I was travelling with luggage and second class was crowded.

Important: this procedure does NOT apply to Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) holders. They can buy upgrades and only pay half the difference between 2nd and 1st class, but this has to be purchased from a staffed service desk.

Update (Arno, May 25, 2017): it looks like it does work from the app now if one selects the Half-fare travelcard.

First of all, you have to register online with the SBB Ticket Shop, and provide personal and credit card details.

http://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/ b2c/sprache.do?en

Once you are registered, you will have a user name and password to log into the SBB Mobile App.

To log in to the app:

— Tap the parallel lines at the top left of the home screen (Image 1)

— Tap “Ticket Shop Login”

— Fill in user name and password

— Tap “Login”

To buy a class upgrade for a particular sector:

1. Tap on “Standard Timetable” on the home page of the app (Image 1)

2. Enter your starting point, destination, via (if appropriate) and date/time (Image 2)

3. A list of service options will appear (Image 2)

4. Tap on your preferred service (Image 2)

5. Details of your preferred service will appear (Image 3)

6. Tap on the red bar that says “Tickets from CHF…” (Image 3)

7. The default option on the next screen is to buy an individual ticket. This is not what you want in this case: you need to scroll down for other options (Image 4)

8. Before scrolling down, if you are also buying an upgrade for another person travelling with you, you can put their details in by tapping on “Edit travelers” (Image 4)

9. On scrolling down, you will see the option for “Class upgrade (route-specific)”: tap on it to choose it (Image 5)

10. Then tap on “Purchase ticket for …” to conclude the transaction (Image 5).

You will need to show your second class ticket or pass plus the class upgrade on the screen of your device when the conductor comes around to check tickets.

If you have the latest version of the SBB Mobile app, it has a demo mode, where you can practise doing a transaction without actually buying a ticket.

To activate Demo Mode:

— tap on the three parallel lines at the top left of the home screen

— tap on “My Settings”

— tap on “Demo Purchase Mode”

Alpenrose

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 23:13:14 #858884

I probably should have made it clear that you need an internet connection in order to use the app.

If you need information about SIM cards and mobile hotspots for Switzerland, there is information here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard

Alpenrose

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 February 2017 at 9:34:12 #858885

Thanks for taking the time to explain this Alpenrose!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2017 at 12:57:35 #858886

Thanks very much, Alpenrose. This is perfect.

OHGeologist.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2017 at 0:33:17 #858887

You’re welcome OHGeologist!

Thanks Arno. Hopefully it might be useful for other people as well.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘How to buy a class upgrade in the SBB Mobile app’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.