How to buy Eurail select pass plus Swiss pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2016 at 8:21:49 #810474

Hi, I’m planing to go to Europe in October 2017. This is my second time in Europe. This time we would like to visited 5 countries, Switzerland, Germany, Prague, Hangary and Austria. I research for 4 country Eurail select pass plus I need to buy point to point ticket for one more country. We are planning to by first class for 2 travelers but on the website was no obtion for first class tickets, also it showed you can get 20% off for all pass if you buy before 30 December 2016. I could not finds that 20% will include in 4 days first class Swiss pass or not. Please advised how can I but that tickets please.

thank,

kate

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 December 2016 at 9:19:43 #857534

Hi Kate,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! There are various websites offering promotions at the moment. Please have a look here:

As you live in Australia you can get both passes from your local website: 20% off the Eurail Select Pass through http://www.raileurope.com.au/ train-tickets/rail-passes/, and 1 or 2 extra days on the Swiss Travel Pass through http://www.raileurope.com.au/ pass/swiss-pass-7314 (only for traveling until August 2017). So there’s two different promotions, it’s not 20% off on all passes. To get these discounts, you will need to buy before December 28.

A few notes:

• You do not need a Swiss Pass, as that’s for Swiss residents only. The Swiss Travel Pass is for tourists. If your Eurail Select Pass includes Switzerland, you do not need a Swiss Travel Pass either I would say, but that’s a matter of doing the math.
    • There is also a Eurail Global Pass, which might be more convenient as it includes all countries. Please see myswissalps.com/ eurailglobalpass, and the Promotions tab on that page.
    • For point to points tickets, please see myswissalps.com/ travel/toswitzerland/ train/tickets.

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2016 at 10:17:35 #857535

Thank you very much for your reply, it really help me to plan my trip.

I checked on the website as you recommended and found Eurail global pass may be suitable for our trip. Some how may I asked you for additional questions please,

This is my iternary please. We fly from Sydney to Muncich and spend time for few day to get around for romantic road. Then continue to Prague and Budapest after that we will go to hangary and end up in Switzerland. We plan to spend 4 day in Switzerland and at this point I think we need to buy Swiss travel pass, we are base in Interlaken and will take train everywhere.

With Eurail Global pass I would like to buy first class ticket but when I check on website it mention first class and secound class together, how do I know that my ticket for a first class?

I send attachments from the website with this post,

thank you again

kate

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 December 2016 at 12:39:26 #857536

Hi Kate,

If your Eurail Pass does not have enough days for Switzerland too, a Swiss Travel Pass might indeed be handy. If you will use your Eurail Pass in Switzerland as well, it usually does not make sense to buy a second pass. And if you do, a Swiss Half Fare Card might be sufficient. You can find it on the same website: http://www.raileurope.com.au/ pass/swiss-half-fare-card-7423.

As for the purchase of your Eurail Global Pass: “1st & 2nd class” just means that you can sit in 2nd class too with this 1st class pass. Some local trains only offer 2nd class.

I see slightly different prices than what’s shown in the attachment. Are you sure you went to http://www.raileurope.com.au/ pass/eurail-global-pass-7286?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2016 at 16:54:25 #857537

I click on the link from your reply, but I was tick off the time period that show : I plan to travel on 3/10 2016 – 03/09 2017. And the price show up like in attachment. We are going on 08/10 – 22 /10 2017. With this purchase my ticket has to validate 11 months from date of purchase. With eurail global pass can I use this to take the boat trip on lake Thun? I love lake Thun, it so bueautiful. But this time I will not purchase Jungfrau in advance, last time I did and the sky wasn’t clear😢. With Eurail global class in my understanding I can use this ticket to travel between countries only, Is that correct. But when I travelling inside country I still need to buy seperate ticket for example I take train from Switzerland to Munich and I planing to take train from Munich to fussen I need to buy another ticket.

Some trip I planning to take overnight train for example from Zurich to Prague, is the pass included for this trip? I may need to pay for reservations for night train.

Thank again for your advise. I really helpfull for our trip,

kate

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 December 2016 at 19:36:59 #857538

Hi Kate,

Everything included in the pass can be found on the Eurail Global Pass page. Be sure to download the map. Lake Thun is included too. It’s indeed wonderful!

That page also explains how the pass works. Please read all the tabs carefully, it will help you understand how it works. You can travel within a country or from one country to the other, that’s entirely up to you. The map shows where you can travel. All trains on those routes are included, but seat or sleeper reservations are not included, so you need to buy those separately. In such a case you do not need a full priced ticket, but just the reservation.

• The thread ‘How to buy Eurail select pass plus Swiss pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.