How to get to Lugano from Lucerne by train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2020 at 23:13:14 #825269

Please expalain can I travel from lucerne to lugano as a day trip, (coming back to lucerne)

How many trains I need to change and from where? I will be getting a swiss rail pass.

What is the name of the railway station in Lucerne I will be taking a train from Zurich airport. staying in Lucerne for 4-5 nights IN SEPT-20. I would like to travel from there so I do not have to carry luggage and waste time.

Does the panaromic train goes straight to Lugano? If need to change from where I would change?

Thank you for your help in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 February 2020 at 0:55:23 #930397

Hello Savita,

You can read about the Gotthard Panorama Express here. Be sure to check all the tabs on that page so you know how to make the compulsory seat reservations. Also note the train is 1st Class only. The GPEX timetable is attached. It does not run on Mondays but your can follow the same route on regular trains. They don’t require reservations or require you to travel 1st class. They also offer more flexibility in departure times than the once per day GPEX.

If you are travelling with a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass but want to travel 1st Class on any particular trip you can buy a Class upgrade at any SBB station or using the SBB Mobile App (bit.ly/2ICIUHi ) or here bit.ly/2rZEIXh. You need to buy a route specific upgrade.

If you buy on line you need to nominate a Half-fare Card reduction to get the correct price (using either website or SBB app). An upgrade will cost half the difference between 1st and 2nd class full-fares.

From Lugano you can get a much faster route via the Gotthard Base Tunnel back to Luzern.

There is a direct train from Zurich Airport (Flughafen) to Luzern HB (main station). There are also trains which cover that route but which require you to change at Zurich HB.

For checking timetables see http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/checking-train-timetables.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2020 at 6:14:36 #930398

Hi Savita seth,

ticket upgrade for the Gotthard Panorama Express is also explained at http://www.myswissalps.com/gotthardpanoramaexpress/tickets where you can also buy it if you want.

Also have you heard about the luggage service of SBB? If you wish to travel without your luggage it can be useful: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage

Ildiko

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    19 February 2020 at 8:34:31 #930399

Hello

You asked “What is the name of the railway station in Lucerne…” It is known as der Bahnhof Luzern. In the official SBB Official Timetable book (Offizielles Kursbuch), it will appear as simply “Luzern”.

The Swiss Railways stopped publishing the Official Timetable (it was available in German, French, and Italian) in 2016, but an independent publisher still produces it. It is huge and is now in three volumes. One can buy it in railway stations. However, at the information counters in the major stations, one can get much smaller (pocket sized) local schedules for free.

More information can be found at europeforvisitors.com/switzaustria/articles/swiss_official_timetable.htm

• The thread ‘How to get to Lugano from Lucerne by train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.