How to go to Grindelwald from Geneva?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2017 at 11:39:54 #811344

Dear everyone,

I’ll be in Geneva on May 16. From Geneva, I’m planning to go to Grindelwald to take the cogwheels and see the ice museum. Is there anyone one here who can help me with the exact transportation route from Geneva to Grindelwald?

After Grindelwald, I’m planning to go up north specifically to Lincolnweg 23 CH-8840 Einsiedeln . What transportation should I take?

This is my first time in Switzerland and I have no single idea regarding the transporation services and routes there.

I also would like to know how much the cogwheel ride costs.

Thank you.

Angking

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2017 at 13:20:12 #861230

Hi Angking – welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can use the SBB (Swiss Railways) online timetable to find the route from Geneva to Grindelwald.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Getting from Grindelwald to Lincolnweg 23 in Einsiedeln involves getting a series of trains from Grindelwald to Einsiedeln, then getting bus #553 from Einsiedeln railway station to the bus stop called “Einsiedeln, Friedhof” (3 stops, about 4 minutes). From there, it is a short walk (see attached screenshot from Google Maps). I have also attached a screenshot of what information to enter into the SBB timetable to find suitable connections from Grindelwald to Lincolnweg 23 in Einsiedeln.

If you are not planning to buy any sort of transport pass or the Swiss Half Fare Card, a return trip to Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald for an adult will cost CHF 190. Or if you can meet the requirements and constraints of the “Good Morning” ticket, the cost would be CHF 145.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/e n/tickets/bergbahn/ang ebote/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe/good-morning-ticket-jungfraujoch

It would be a good idea to provide details of your full itinerary, so that you can get advice on whether you would be better off getting a Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card, which might save you money.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2017 at 13:56:05 #861231

Thank you so much Alpenrose! That was very clear and detailed answer.

I planned to travel from Geneva to Grindelwald on May 17 after lunch. Sleep in Grindelwald

May 18 take the train to Jungfrau top. Back to Grindelwald for the night.

May 19 travel to Lucerne. Tour around Lucerne and spend the night there.

from Lucerne I plan to go to Black Forest Germany.

Is it better to have a Swiss pass? I think I can avail with the goodmorning tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2017 at 16:45:33 #861232

Hi Angking,

It is best to do the math for the ticket prices on the routes you plan on doing to be sure. A Swiss Half Fare card at least I think would be wise.
    The Swiss Travel Pass covers all travel including buses and boats etc (except the train section between Grindelwald or Wengen to Jungfraujoch – which you can get for 25% off with the Swiss Travel Pass) while you are in Switzerland, and is available in 3, 4 and 8 days periods.

Lucas

• The thread ‘How to go to Grindelwald from Geneva?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.