Locating Swiss train stations for mountain visits

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 7:10:14 #815542

Hi,

we will be staying in lucern IBIS Kriens hotel for 4 days in September. We are travelling with 4-year old.

Day 1 : We plan to do Lucern Lake boating the day we reach.

Day2 : We plan to MountTitlis tour. Please help how can we reach there. Name of station and do we need any other mode of transport required to reach Mount Titlis.

Day3: WE plan to do Zurich day tour that will include Rhine falls visit. Which station should we alight to reach Rhine falls and what all we can visit Zurich that day .

Day4 : Can we complete Gotthard Panorama Express or Golden Pass Triangle in same day.

Day 5 : Return to Paris

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 April 2018 at 8:24:31 #883309

Day 2 http://www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis/gettingthere

Day 3 http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls/gettingthere

Day 4 We’ve covered that – see http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gotthard-panorama-express-day-trip.

For most of your days you will need to first catch a bus from Kriens to the main Luzern Station. The lake cruises depart right out the front of the main station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 8:39:57 #883310

Thanks a ton for quick reply.

Can you suggest what all we can see with Rhine Falls in Zurich on same day .

As Gotthard Panorama Express is not recommended to cover the same day, please tell if Golden Pass Triangle can be covered the same day

How much time will it take for bus to main Luzern stations

Thanks in advance

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 April 2018 at 8:58:29 #883311

I never said I didn’t recommend the Gotthard Panorama Express in one day. I’m just providing information to help you make your own decision. I’m net even sure what a Golden Pass Triangle is. Have you read http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass?

The bus might take 10 minutes from Kriens but you could easily find out by checking the SBB Timetable.

For Zurich see http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich/activities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 9:45:54 #883312

Hi,

Ok, then I would say that I think we should drop GPEX from our plan as we have booked Hotel In Luzern.

You are right, I was talking about GOlden PASS .Can we cover golden Pass in single day .

Thanks Again

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 April 2018 at 9:55:46 #883313

Have you checked the SBB timetable to see if you are comfortable spending so much time on a train. You will find it will take you roughly 5 hours to reach Montreux via the Golden Pass Line and 3 hours to get back via the fastest route. That doesn’t include any time you want to spend in Montreux.

I wouldn’t think a 4-year old would find that a great day out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 9:57:47 #883314

Hi,

I am sorry but I really find it tough to understand SBB timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 10:12:43 #883315

Hello

Where can I find golden pass timetable similar to GPEX that you provided.

Or complete SBB timetable file in spreadsheet format .

Regards

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 April 2018 at 10:22:58 #883316

There isn’t a similar timetable but maybe this might help http://www.mob.ch/en/reservat ion-procedure.

See attached for the trip Luzern – Montreux – Luzern with no stopover n Montreux on a random day in September.

Here’s a description of that particular trip (from SBB) . . . .

You take the InterRegio 2918 LUZERN-INTERLAKEN EXPRESS from Luzern departing platform/edge 12 towards Interlaken Ost to Interlaken Ost.

Your journey starts at Luzern on 12.09.18 at 09:06,

you arrive at Interlaken Ost on platform/edge 4 at 10:55.

Available offer:

Restaurant, Panorama coach, Reservation possible

Your journey continues by InterCity 61 968 from Interlaken Ost departing platform/edge 5 towards Basel SBB to Spiez.

Your journey starts at Interlaken Ost at 11:00,

you arrive at Spiez on platform/edge 2 at 11:21.

Available offer:

Restaurant, Family zone without play area, Business zone in 1st class: reservation possible, Quiet zone in 1st class, Reservation possible

Your journey continues by RegioExpress 4069 from Spiez departing platform/edge 2 towards Zweisimmen to Zweisimmen.

Your journey starts at Spiez at 11:37,

you arrive at Zweisimmen on platform/edge 7 at 12:19.

Available offer:

Buy your ticket on the train (with supplement), Reservation possible

Your journey continues by InterRegio 2119 MOB PANORAMIC from Zweisimmen departing platform/edge 8 towards Montreux to Montreux.

Your journey starts at Zweisimmen at 12:25,

you arrive at Montreux on platform/edge 6 at 14:13.

Available offer:

Minibar or catering zone, Panorama coach, GROUPS: reservation compulsory, GROUPS: supplementary charge, Reservation recommended

Your journey continues by InterRegio 90 1720 from Montreux departing platform/edge 1 towards Genève-Aéroport to Lausanne.

Your journey starts at Montreux at 14:20,

you arrive at Lausanne on platform/edge 8 at 14:43.

Your journey continues by InterRegio 15 2527 from Lausanne departing platform/edge 1 towards Luzern to Luzern.

Your journey starts at Lausanne at 15:44,

you arrive at Luzern on platform/edge 3 at 18:01.

Available offer:

Minibar or catering zone

Summary

The total journey time is: 8:55

This connection is possible on the following days: 2. Jun until 14. Oct 2018 daily; not 7. Jul until 26. Aug 2018

The number of changes is: 5

All Information, connections and adherence to the timetable are given without guarantee. Please check for possible changes shortly before departure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 11:04:49 #883317

Hi,

Your help is highly appreciated .

Can I ask another query, considering covering GOlden PAss and GPEX is not feasible in one day, is there any other panoramic tour that can be covered easily in single day and we can have experience of cog wheel train.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 April 2018 at 11:28:54 #883318

Both Pilatus and Rigi feature cog-wheel railways.

You could just take Golden Pass to Interlaken and explore the Jungfrau Region for a day trip.

I’m running out of ideas now.

• The thread ‘Locating Swiss train stations for mountain visits’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.