Can”t buy a ticket to Lucerne from Frankfurt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 23:16:11 #813221

Hello,

I am trying to travel by train from Frankfurt to Lucerne on September 15th 2017. I already have a Swiss Travel Pass, so I understand that I only need to get to Basel and then I can use my Swiss Travel Pass to get to Lucerne. I’ve tried to buy a ticket from Frankfurt to Basel on multiple rail websites (Bahn, Trainline, RailEurope), but all of the sites say that tickets are not available. I’m not sure what I am doing wrong, or if I need to get into Lucerne a different way. Thank you!

O. Nielson

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 0:23:22 #869641

Hi O. Nielson, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

What date are you trying to buy a ticket for? The current timetable period is only valid until 9 December 2017. After that, a new timetable comes into force for the next 12 months. So at present, tickets can only be booked up until 9 December.

The new SBB timetable, valid from 10 December 2017, will be available online from 18 October. The date might vary by a few days for the Deutsche Bahn website, but will be around that time.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 September 2017 at 0:55:47 #869642

Hello O,

Maybe the attached notice (from DB website) is causing some strife with the on-line timetables. Looks like you won’t be able to get a direct ICE train between Frankfurt and Basel on your travel date.

DB site offers routing via Stuttgart but it adds a lot to the trip. Also a bus connection between Ratstatt and Baden-Baden. See image 2.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 3:13:41 #869643

>> Maybe the attached notice (from DB website) is causing some strife with the on-line timetables.

Yes, that is much more likely the problem. I overlooked the fact that the OP’s travel date is on 15 September.

It is still possible to buy a ticket for the trip on the Deutsche Bahn website though.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 13:15:32 #869644

Yes, that rail closure is crazy and causing such a mess! I’m losing faith in German engineering these days 😉 (they are digging underneath the lines and it partially collapsed….and that line to Frankfurt is a busy one!)

In any case you should still be able to buy a ticket as Alpenrose noted (the trip will jut be re-routed). I just bought a ticket for early October just fine- let us know if you still can’t.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Can”t buy a ticket to Lucerne from Frankfurt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.