Swiss Travel Pass – best for 11 day Swiss trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2017 at 18:55:04 #813470

We are planning to travel to Switzerland with 2 adults and an 8 year old leaving December 26th from Belgium and returning January 5th. This is our schedule

– day 1: to Zurich

day 2= Zurich to Bergun

days 3-4-5: Bergun

day 6: Bergun – Brigg with Glacier Express

day 7_8_9_10: Brig

day 11: back home

We are considering to buy the Swiss Travel pass, we haven’t figured out in detail what we will do, but what we know already we are already in the neighbourhoodd of the cost. It is however unfortunate we have to buy the 15 day pass, or does anyone have another idea which would be cheaper?

I wanted to book the pass online with shopp Swiss railways, but I can’t seem to manage to add the family card without an extra cost. Anyone that can help?

Is it useful to wait for some time to buy it to see if any promotions come up? Or doesn’t this happen very often in this time of the year

Any interesting things to do with the kid are welcome of course (or not to do)

Imogen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 October 2017 at 5:04:31 #870771

Hello Imogen and Welcome to the MySwissAlps Forum,

You don’t necessarily need to get a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass. If there are some days on which you are not travelling an 8-day Flex Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpassflex) may prove more economical. Mind you the saving is only CHF80 so may not be beneficial in your case.

The only way you can be sure which pass suits your travel needs best is to compare the cost of full-fare tickets to the your costs using a pass. See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

If you buy the Swiss Travel Pass (or Flex) here shop.swissrailways.com /swisspass.html?languag e=en&currency=CHF you should see an option to nominate the number of children aged 6-15. See attached screenshot.

Just as a matter of interest what attracts you to Brig as a base?

pvonk
    Participant
    382 posts
    9 October 2017 at 11:39:16 #870772

I assume with an 8 day Pass, it’s 8 consecutive days, not whenever you want to use for any 8 days, right?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2017 at 11:55:41 #870773

Hi Pvonk,

The Swiss Travel Pass is for consecutive days starting on the start date you choose (3, 4, 8 or 15 days).

The Swiss Travel Pass Flex can be used for any # of days within 30 days of your start date (# of days depends on which STPF you buy: 3, 4, 8 or 15).

The Swiss Travel Pass Flex is more expensive – usually only worth the cost for long trips: 20+ days for example

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2017 at 18:09:55 #870774

Rockoyster,

Thank you for your thoughts.

about the family pass, I indeed came across the screen you have put in attachment, but when I then select family card, it counts the half fare price and it should be free, correct?

about the selection of Brig, mostly because it is a train hub, easy to reach different parts and it seems to be like a nice town as well. Which selection would you have made?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2017 at 19:41:43 #870775

I attach a screen shot for paying the passes of what I get, and even then I get an error meassage saying that I have not filled out everything. Anyone can help?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 October 2017 at 20:37:28 #870776

I’ve never actually tried to add on a Swiss Family Card but it seems to me there is a problem with their website. I tried doing the purchase with date set to 25 October and price for SFC shows as CHF0. Someone else might know the answer.

I only asked about Brig as it is a quiet town and seems more of a transport hub rather than a destination. Most people seem to base themselves in Zermatt or the Jungfrau Region. You can in fact do day trips from Brig and accommodation may be cheaper than the more popular centres.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 October 2017 at 4:39:24 #870777

I checked a bit more and the SwissRailways website shows CHF0.0 for Swiss Family card up to and including 17 December. After that it show 50% off adult price. I’d try again in a couple of weeks. They don’t sell out and you still have plenty of time for electronic delivery.

Earlier this year I bought mine from HappyRail shown at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price (although that was for a Flex pass which is not available for email delivery or print at home).

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 October 2017 at 6:57:51 #870778

Hi Imogen,

I am getting the same issue if I try to order exactly what you order from http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. I’ll get in touch with them and let you know in case there’s news. Meanwhile, there are other websites to buy from if you prefer not to wait. Please see Rockoyster’s link. All sites listed there are trustworthy.

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 October 2017 at 9:21:47 #870779

Hi again,

They are looking into it and expect to solve the issue by the end of this week.

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 October 2017 at 18:57:41 #870780

It looks like the issue is solved. Please give it a try at https://shop.swissrail ways.com/swisspass.htm l and let us know if you were able to order.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2017 at 18:57:27 #870781

Yes this works now. Is it correct that you cannot print your pass at this website, they Always send it by mail?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2017 at 19:30:43 #870782

I found it myself in the mean time

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2017 at 5:17:37 #870783

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass can be sent by email.

The Swiss Travel Pass Flex must be physically mailed to you.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass – best for 11 day Swiss trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.