Interlaken Ost to St Beatus caves by boat

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 11:30:22 #820540

Hi, I am travelling from Lucerne to Interlaken and will come in to Interlaken Ost station.

I then wish to get to St Beatus caves by boat, which means train to Interlaken West, and boat from there. My Tell pass will cover me to Interlaken Ost, but how can I pre-book tickets for the rest of the journey?

I can see a combination ticket from Interlaken West for the boat and caves for CHF38 on the BLS website but am unable to pre-book. The timings are very tight in order to catch the boat so I won’t have time to get tickets on the day. I think I can pre-book the ticket from Interlaken Ost to West for around CHF4.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 12:50:37 #907237

Hi Stocklord

We have a previous thread on the subject that might help you, on this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/boat-schedule-to-st-beatus-caves

You can book boat tickets using the timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

As you say I don’t see any Lake Thun boat tickets covered by the Tell Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakethun/tickets and http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpass

Hope this helps and have a great visit to the caves!

Maria.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 March 2019 at 13:03:07 #907238

Hi stocklord –

Rail tickets can be bought for days in the future at any ticket machine. Perhaps that would work for the boat?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 14:14:45 #907239

Thanks Maria, but I can’t see how to buy boat tickets. The advanced timetable only gives me train routes.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 March 2019 at 14:54:27 #907240

Hi Stocklord

Hw long is the connection time?

The timetable works for me, for July. See screen grab.

Perhaps the problem is your date of travel? When are you traveling? The boats have very limited schedules at some times of year.

Forum rules:

<<“How to write

Please provide enough information. For example: the question “What can I do in 7 days in Interlaken?” can be answered much better if you include some information about your interests, preferences, when you plan to travel, age of the travelers, etc.;”>>

I am 99 % certain that you can buy that ticket for a future date on any ticket machine. If you cannot do that when you first arrive in Switzerland, go to a ticket window and buy it for that date, or get it at that time on the internet as shown in the screen grab.

Finally,they usually sell tickets after you board the boat, at a small onboard ticket window. Done on most boats that I have been on. Not sure if every boat does it. Or, usually a conductor will walk around the boat to check your ticket, and he will almost surely sell you one. That is the last resort.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 15:14:36 #907241

Thanks Slowpoke, I was trying to do it from Interlaken Ost as I need to get the train ticket from Ost to West as well as the boat ticket.

I won’t be travelling until May so cannot book that far in advance. Will try nearer the time, thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 20:06:49 #907242

Hi Stocklord

The timetable worked for me as well, are you looking for boats from Interlaken West or Ost? You will need to get from Ost to West by train, as the boats depart from Interlaken West. Or you could walk, as it’s only a 20 min walk between the two.

I am sure you would have no problems buying a ticket when you get there or nearer the time.

Maria.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 March 2019 at 0:02:37 #907243

Buy your ticket for the whole trip at Luzern. It is not necessary to buy it so far in advance, as Maria points out.

Also, you do not need to buy it in pieces.

If you still find that not clear, go to ticket counter in Luzern main station. They will sort it out for you.

To help make it clearer, you do not need to buy separate tickets for train and boat.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2019 at 9:02:16 #907244

Yes, but I will have the Tell pass which covers me to Interlaken Ost.

Thanks.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 March 2019 at 9:08:37 #907245

<<“Yes, but I will have the Tell pass which covers me to Interlaken Ost.”>>

You can still buy the tickets in Luzern, where presumably, you will have more time to do it.

You can buy a ticket for anywhere in Switzerland from any ticket machine or station in Switzerland.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2019 at 9:47:45 #907246

Hi again

You can buy this ticket online through the timetable or at any point in your journey. You only need to modify your starting point. However, if you’re concerned you will make a mistake, then go into any of the SBB ticket shops at any major station and they will help you out.

Maria.

• The thread ‘Interlaken Ost to St Beatus caves by boat’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.