Interlaken to First mountain without the gondola?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 6:55:02 #817060

Hi there. We are staying in Interlaken in July, and would like to visit First Mountain to do the mountain kart and scooter ride..

The issue is my partner has a fear of heights and is not a fan of the gondola ride up. Is there another way? Is it possible to walk up and if so, is it strenuous/steep?

Or is there another way around, maybe catching a bus to somewhere nearby and walking the rest?

If there’s no other way up, how steep is the actual gondola? If it doesn’t go too high up off the ground at any given time, he said maybe he can “man up and do it”.

Any thoughts on this are much appreciated… we really, really want to get up there so we can mountain kart and scooter down!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15479 posts
    4 July 2018 at 9:40:23 #890141

Hi Toony,

Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/hiking-up-first-grindelwald-how-hard-is-it for the hike up to First. There is no other mode of transport, only the gondola. The only alternative I can think of is to take a bus from Grindelwald to Waldspitz, but then you still have to hike for at least an hour, and back too of course. Note that the buses don’t operate frequently.

The gondola ride is pretty gentle. Lots of it is not very high above the ground but I recall that part of the last section is higher. It’s hard to estimate if it is doable for someone else, but I would classify this as one of the less scary cableway rides in Switzerland. You can skip the last section though. The cart ride starts from Schreckfeld, so you can get off there and don’t go to First at all.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    4 July 2018 at 19:58:42 #890142

Hi.

The Firstbahn isn’t very high, but like all gondolas, will rattle and jump a bit when the cabin travels over the supporting pylons, which can be a bit startling if you’re not expecting it.

The walk up to First is a bit steep in places and quite long and would take up quite a chunk of your day. Overall, it would be rather strenuous.

Alan

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    5 July 2018 at 1:20:36 #890143

If you are not experienced alpine hikers I agree it would be quite strenuous and leave you with little energy to do anything else!

I too am afraid of heights and I agree with the previous descriptions of this particular ride. It is not without trepidation but do-able IMO. Just make sure he sits in the side of the gondola facing uphill

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 1:28:54 #890144

>> how steep is the actual gondola? If it doesn’t go too high up off the ground at any given time, he said maybe he can “man up and do it”.

I have attached some photos taken from the gondola from Grindelwald to First. They aren’t particularly good photos, but they do give you an idea of how high off the ground you travel.

Something else to be aware of is that gondolas often stop mid-journey for a minute or so. This is normal, and nothing to be concerned about.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2018 at 11:05:14 #890145

Thank you so much, all, for the info and thoughts – and Alpenrose for the photos. It doesn’t sound too bad, and a better option than the hike up. I think we will give it a go.

Thanks 🙂

• The thread ‘Interlaken to First mountain without the gondola?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.