How far from Interlaken West to Youth Hostel?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2017 at 14:40:06 #812860

Hi,

I’m looking at the Interlaken Youth Hostel and I know it is very close to the Interlaken Ost Train station which is great as I will arrive there. However, I would like to know how far is the hostel to Interlaken West Train station, as I will be taking an early train to Zermatt. How many minutes walk and is it easy to find?

If not, any other budget hotels you can suggest?

Thanks

Katt

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 August 2017 at 18:17:18 #867939

Hi Katt,

It’s a 20 minute easy walk to Interlaken West (just follow the main street). Or 5 minutes by bus. However, there is no need to go to the West station because all trains stopping there departed from the Ost station 3 minutes earlier. You can fill out Interlaken Ost to Zermatt in the timetable for all options.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 August 2017 at 21:37:17 #867940

Very close indeed !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 1:28:53 #867941

Thanks Arno! That’s perfect then.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 2:09:27 #867942

What’s the best site to book train tickets from Paris to Interlaken? And how about the trains from Paris, would they also stop at Interlaken Ost before Interlaken West? I had a look on Rail Europe and the final train station is Interlaken West from Paris.

Prices have increased!! Considering I’m still a month away from my trip…

Sat 02 Sep Sun 03 Sep Mon 04 Sep BEST FARES

2nd class 1st class FLEXIBLE FARES

2nd class 1st class

06:40PARIS EST12:51 INTERLAKEN WEST 6h 11m

2 connections Train

+ TER

+ Eurocities N/A N/A 233 332

07:57PARIS GARE LYON13:51 INTERLAKEN WEST 5h 54m

2 connections TGV Lyria

+ Intercity

+ ICE N/A N/A 194 494

Last seats

10:23PARIS GARE LYON15:22 INTERLAKEN WEST 4h 59m

1 connection Train

+ Eurocities 263

Last seats 349 270 363

10:55PARIS EST16:51 INTERLAKEN WEST 5h 56m

2 connections Train

+ TER

+ Eurocities N/A N/A 271

Last seats 372

Last seats

12:23PARIS GARE LYON17:22 INTERLAKEN WEST 4h 59m

1 connection TGV Lyria

+ Eurocities 249

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 3:45:07 #867943

On a separate query, I purchased my tickets on the SBB website and paid accordingly and receive an email with Order number.

However, I realised the attached details sent in the email does not contain the train departure/arrivals details, which I find extremely bizarre. I used the Order number and even created an account on SBB to try and retrieve the information to no avail.

Please kindly assist as I did not write down the times/platforms etc for this journey and I find the SBB website is really lacking some ease of locating booked train trips.

I need to make another booking for my last leg from Zermatt to Zurich and would appreciate some guidance on the above prior to proceeding.

Thank you

Katt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 6:40:01 #867944

Hi Katt,

>> I purchased my tickets on the SBB website and paid accordingly and receive an email with Order number. However, I realised the attached details sent in the email does not contain the train departure/arrivals details … I did not write down the times/platforms etc for this journey

If you buy a reservation, the details will be on the reservation, including a seat number.

If you have just bought a ticket, which I am assuming is the case, there are no details because a ticket is not for a specific train, just a specific route on a specific day. Just use the timetable to find a connection that suits you any time that day, and your ticket will be valid for it.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 7:10:09 #867945

Hi Alpenrose,

I find that really odd! A ticket by right should contain all relevant information as it is for that specific journey which I had selected.

I have subsequently obtained the info from the site again.

And for my info how does one make a reservation? Would you pls provide the link?

Thanks again

Katt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 7:59:46 #867946

Hi Katt,

For train trips within Switzerland it is extremely rare to be able to make a reservation – in many cases you can’t. You can read more about reservations here

If it is an international train it is a different story. So, if your ticket is from Zurich to Zermatt (for example) you can indeed use the Swiss railways timetable and take any train you want on the date of your ticket – whatever works best for you.

The timetable (link from Alpenrose) will also tell you how busy that train is expected to be (under capacity).

I hope that helps with your concerns – let us know how it works out for you.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 August 2017 at 21:07:50 #867947

Hi kattkkym

There is another perspective. That is, a good railroad should by right have enough capacity and enough trains everyday that you do not need a reservation.

At least, that is the Swiss system, and they are well known for having a good train system. Among other features, it saves the cost and complexity of a reservation process on a railroad with thousands of train trips each day.

Once you try it, you may find that you like it. 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘How far from Interlaken West to Youth Hostel?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.