Is May best month to visit Lucerne / Interlaken?

• mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    13 April 2017 at 6:10:31 #811392

Hi,

I’ll have my first ever trip to Europe next month and Switzerland is top of my list of country I have to visit. Unfortunately after reading some articles, May is transition from Winter to summer thus the weather is unpredictable and it’s likely raining. If one of you here Swiss citizen and live in Lucerne or Interlaken, how likely is it going to rain ? is it quiet high ? almost everyday ? more than 15 days in May ? Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    13 April 2017 at 13:46:59 #861471

Welcome to MySwissAlps, mkaligis!

To be honest weather in Switzerland is unpredictable in any month. There’s really no way of telling what it will be like next May, and forecasts only start to become reliable a couple of days in advance. I’ve had visits in May with rain indeed (but also beautiful, clear days), but also some visits with warm and sunny weeks. For what it’s worth, I do like May for a visit to the Swiss Alps. Nature is at its best with fresh green landscapes and snow-capped mountain tops, and there are fewer tourists than in July and August. The link to “average climate statistics” at the right hand of myswissalps.com/weathe r might help a bit.

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    13 April 2017 at 15:28:33 #861472

Thanks for your feedback, I was going to cancel my trip to Swiss but after reading your feedback I’m thinking hard again now :))

Which spot is similliar to your description “Nature is at its best with fresh green landscapes and snow-capped mountain tops” which one is having more beautiful view compared to view of Bernina express ?

I’m going to stay in Lucerne (or Luzern ?) and my plan is Mt. Titlis and Initerlaken I hope I can find view as per your description.

Regards,

Annika
    7103 posts
    13 April 2017 at 16:23:49 #861473

Hi mkagilis,

Yes, you’ll find exactly such landscapes around Lucerne and Interlaken. I suggest you visit the pages below to get an impression of what to expect:

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 April 2017 at 0:23:09 #861474

Hi Mkaligis –

I almost always go to Switzerland in May, and this year is no exception.

I have attached a panoramic image taken in mid-April looking toward Trachselwald from above Sumiswald, in an very unusual time of about a week when it was dry and sunny throughout Switzerland. More like what I expect in May in the lower altitudes. Also some others taken at various times.

I want to make 3 points-

1.- Difficult weather in May at high altitudes …or even good weather with snowy trail conditions … does not mean that the rest of the experience is a problem. If you are going to look, not hike, May is fine in the Jungfrau region.

Every word is important in that comment.. Especially the words “high altitudes.” There is tremendous contrast between high and low altitudes in late Spring. I love to enjoy Spring near Luzern. In May, Spring is well advanced.

2.- Even in April, there can be beautiful weather for days on end. On average, there is rain, but average doesn’t matter on what ever days you happen to be there. And, particularly important because of the way Swiss geography and mountains influence weather… the weather can be dramatically different 20 km from where you are. Time and again I have looked at a weather report that showed sun and rain/clouds for a particular region. I’ve gone there, and found that the rain was in the next valley, and I had sun. If there is a chance of rain in any part of a region, they have to show it on the weather forecast. That does not mean that you will experience it. Or, you might.

3.- You can see the snow-capped Alps from many places in Switzerland that are quite distant from the Jungfrau region. It is a small country and those are not small mountains.

See attached.

Slowpoke

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    14 April 2017 at 1:30:38 #861475

Thanks slowpoke for being so informative and detail. Now I have no doubt to go Switzerland and probably extend 1-2 nights there. The view of Traschewald is so amazing, can’t wait to such scenery in around lucern and interlaken.

regards,

• The thread ‘Is May best month to visit Lucerne / Interlaken?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.