Rail pass for 1 week in Grindelwald with a car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2018 at 12:50:43 #816366

My family of 10 will be traveling to Switzerland in May of next year. There will be five adults over 40, three adults that are 21 and two children 13 and 10. Our itinerary includes mountain trips to the Schiltorn, Jungfrau and Zermatt. I have tried calculating the cost of buying single tickets for transportation to the top in comparison to the Swiss Travel Pass but a bit confused. Do you think we would save on cost if we were to purchase a STP? We will be staying in Grindelwald and have a car. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2018 at 15:09:12 #887000

Hi WillysCrew9,

If you have a car, the Swiss Half Fare Card is probably the way to go for each member of your group (over 16). The 2 children will travel free when you order the free Swiss Family Card at time of purchase.

That being said, mapping out all your trips and finding prices (using the Swiss railways timetable) is the only way to figure out which rail pass is truly the best for your itinerary. If you are having problems with calculating the costs let us know how we can help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 20:16:15 #887001

Hi,

I have been mapping out our preliminary trips using the spreadsheet you mentioned. I have attached the spreadsheet. I am not sure if I did the routes correctly. I also was confused at times on the pricing. Do you think it looks about right? I have to say that the spreadsheet is a wonderful tool! If anything it can also help keep budget of your trip. As I have found, there is so much wonderfulness in Switzerland you just want to keep adding to the itinerary. It is a good thing we have a year to fine tune it! Thank you for all of your help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 5:40:09 #887002

Hi WillysCrew,

Gornergrat looks correct for round-trip fares, but Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch (no need to split it up at Kleine Scheidegg) is off. That should be 190chf as a round trip regular fare.

The timetable: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable gives you the 1/2 fare price for a one-way trip (so double the price and double again for full fare, round-trip).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 12:05:37 #887003

Thank you! Please let me know if I am understanding the validity of the Swiss Travel Card: the trip to Junfraujoch would be 25% off of the one way from Grindelwald but the trip back to Grindelwald would be free?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 13:35:59 #887004

no the return trip is not free.

The route (either direction) between Grindelwald or Wengen to Jungfraujoch is 25% off with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Both directions cost money and you get 25% off both directions.

So the round trip fare I mentioned before is 190chf then minus your 25%. So about 142.50chf for the round trip with a Swiss Travel Pass.

• The thread ‘Rail pass for 1 week in Grindelwald with a car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.