Is there regular connection from Chur to Milan?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2017 at 12:55:50 #811487

Hi,

In the last leg of our Swiss tour, we plan to travel from Chur to Milan via Tirano. From Chur to Tirano, we would like to travel via Bernina Express. But I don’t find any connection from Tirano to Milan in SBB or italiarail.com. My questions are:

1. Is there regular connection from Tirano to Milan? I heard that there are regional trains, is it correct? I will buy Italy rail pass for 4 days for Italy part of travels. Does it cover regional train also?

2. I understand that Bernina Express requires reservation. I will buy 15 days STP for Swiss part of travel. Is there any charge for reservation? Any additional charge for change of reservation?

Thanks for your cooperations.

Regards, Aslam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2017 at 14:40:05 #861911

Hi Aslam,

Yes, there are regular trains from Tirano to Milan. Check out the Swiss timetable page here.

1. I only know about Swiss rail passes here unfortunately.
    2. Yes, you must still purchase a reservation. You can do so here. Charges start at about 18chf.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 April 2017 at 21:25:58 #861912

Hi Aslam,

Trenord runs service from Chur to Milano. See m.trenord.it/site-lite/index.html

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 April 2017 at 11:21:33 #861913

Hi Rockoyster,

I couldn’t find that service on the website you shared. How did you get the schedules? I am not aware of such a service, it might be a bus.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 April 2017 at 20:54:59 #861914

Hi Arno,

i just put in Tirano to Milano Centrale. Attached screenshot is result for a random date. Aslam is doing Chur to Tirano on BEX. My original response above incorrectly said Chur instead of Tirano.

I originally found the route by doing a directions search on Google maps. I always find that a good starting point. It told me the carrier was Trenord.

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 April 2017 at 12:13:12 #861915

Hi Rockoyster,

I see, indeed there is a direct Trenord train from Tirano to Milan. That’s the alternative for people who don’t have time for the Bernina Express bus to Lugano. And in winter when the bus does not operate.

• The thread ‘Is there regular connection from Chur to Milan?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.