Train change Göschenen – Andermatt – Disentis

• Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    3 April 2018 at 3:06:52 #815106

Hi, we are in 3 people and we will have luggage and need to change at the following train stations. Have we allowed ourselves enough time to get on and off with our luggage or should we be catching a later train:

Arrive Goschen 12.02 Depart for Andermatt at 12.11 (9 minutes changeover time)

Arrive Andermatt at 12.21 Depart for Disentis at 12.28 (7 minutes changeover time)

Arrive Disentis 13.39 Depart for Chur at 13.44 (5 minutes changeover time)

As I have no idea how much time is needed, any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Denise

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2018 at 6:01:16 #880704

Hi Deni61,

You should be fine as this is what the Swiss timetable suggests. It’s just a small train station in Disentis so 5 minutes will be enough.

Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    3 April 2018 at 6:12:34 #880705

Hi Chantal, if by some chance the trains were running late and we missed our connection, given the fact that we are travelling on a Swiss Flex Pass, would we be able to catch the next train without a problem? Are trains usually full in Switzerland?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 April 2018 at 6:19:54 #880706

No worries Deni, Just hop on the next train.

Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    3 April 2018 at 6:21:48 #880707

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2018 at 6:29:45 #880708

That wouldn’t be any problem. During rush hour the trains can be pretty full, but there are always seats available. The Swiss timetable shows how busy the train will be.

Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    3 April 2018 at 6:31:33 #880709

Thank you! I think it is piece of mind having the Pass and having a reservation. 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 April 2018 at 6:58:44 #880710

Deni,

I think it is piece of mind having the Pass and having a reservation.”

If I understand correctly you are travelling on regional trains which don’t offer reservations.

Even if you could get a reservation it would be for a specific departure time anyway so if you missed the connection a reservation would be of no use.

Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    3 April 2018 at 22:41:50 #880711

So Rockoyster if I understand you correctly, does this mean if I want to take the boat from Luzern to Fluelen then take the train to Erstfeld, Goschen, Andermatt, Disentis and Chur (these are the places I change the trains) I can’t reserve a seat on the train for the times I want to catch these trains?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 April 2018 at 22:44:21 #880712

Correct. But that shouldn’t be a problem. Reservations are pretty rare and often not possible.

Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    3 April 2018 at 23:04:13 #880713

OK sorry to clarify there are seat reservations meaning you get a specific number of a seat on a train and sit there and then there are tickets you reserve to get on that particular train and sit anywhere. Can you get your ticket for those particular trains and sit anywhere or you can’t do that either. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 April 2018 at 23:09:39 #880714

There are no specific seat reservations. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you don’t need tickets. Just hop on and go. You do have a Swiss Travel Pass right? If not you will need a ticket from Flüelen to Chur via your chosen route. The ticket is good for all day not just for specific departures.

Have you read this http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/howtotra vel? Just asking. 😎

Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    3 April 2018 at 23:13:57 #880715

Yes I have a Swiss Travel Flex Pass. I thought I could make the train reservation (not seat reservation) in advance to make sure we could get the particular train time we wanted so that we were sure we would get to where we wanted to be just in case the train happened to be full. I have been able to do this in Italy and France so thought it would be the same.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 April 2018 at 23:16:23 #880716

Doesn’t work like that in Switzerland but rest assured you will get where you want to go. Swiss Rail Rocks!

After experiencing Italian trains you will be saying “well we’re definitely not in Italy now” on SBB trains. They even run to time!

Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    3 April 2018 at 23:23:52 #880717

Can I ask you Rockoyster, I have the timetable for the trains I want to catch so will take that with me, however do they change their timetables often or is it usually the same. (Our rail system in Australia is nowhere near as advanced as yours so sorry for all the questions).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 April 2018 at 23:57:49 #880718

Our rail system in Australia is nowhere near as advanced as yours . .

Tell me about it Deni. We don’t even have public transport trains in Tasmania! 😇🇦🇺

The timetable changes once a year on 9 December. Even then it doesn’t change much.

Not sure if you will be travelling with internet connectivity but if you are the SBB Mobile App for smart phones is a fantastic thing.

At any station you will find a large yellow sign which lists every train departure by time, destination and departure platform.

No need to apologies for asking questions. That’s why we are here.

Travel well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 6:27:32 #880719

Hi Deni61,

The train timetables change once per year. Although the odd delay or construction may cause a train to arrive on a different platform than it is scheduled to do. If you are traveling with tight connections the SBB mobile app will update itself if the arrival or departure platform changes while you are on the train. Smaller stations have 1-4 platforms so it isn’t much of an issue but at larger stations like Zurich (44 tracks), Bern (horrible station to move around quickly) etc it can be very helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 6:51:20 #880720

Hi Denise,

>> Hi, we are in 3 people and we will have luggage and need to change at the following train stations. Have we allowed ourselves enough time to get on and off with our luggage or should we be catching a later train:

Arrive Goschen 12.02 Depart for Andermatt at 12.11 (9 minutes changeover time)

Arrive Andermatt at 12.21 Depart for Disentis at 12.28 (7 minutes changeover time)

Arrive Disentis 13.39 Depart for Chur at 13.44 (5 minutes changeover time)

As I have no idea how much time is needed, any advice would be appreciated.

It looks like you have planned each sector separately, as the standard transfer time at Göschenen is just 2 minutes – it is a very small station!

• If you are arriving at Göschenen at 12:02, you will arrive on Platform 1. If you are departing Göschenen for Andermatt at 12:11, you will be departing from Platform 13.
    • There is an earlier train for Andermatt at 12:04 leaving from Platform 11, which you could probably catch if you wanted to, but it really doesn’t make much difference which one you catch – you will still be departing Andermatt at 12:28 regardless.

However, don’t imagine you have to traipse across 12 platforms at Göschenen to get from Platform 1 to Platform 13!

Göschenen has 3 platforms on the main line (Platforms 1, 2 and 3, with raised platforms) and 3 on the line to Andermatt (Platforms 11, 12, 13 without raised platforms). That’s all!

The Platform 1 building has Platform 1 on one side of it, and Platform 11 on the other side. So you will just have to walk through or around that building to get to Platform 13, which is two tracks over from Platform 11 (see attached pictures).

Andermatt station is just as small.

Every time I’ve changed trains at Disentis/Mustér, there has been no need to change platforms – the train to Chur was either on the same track, or on the other side of the same platform (I can’t remember which). Quick and easy, anyway.

Alpenrose

Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    4 April 2018 at 23:11:37 #880721

Thanks! As we can’t book tickets if we make it in the 2 minutes that is great but I thought with luggage we could be pushing it. It is great to have that flexibility and not stressful knowing that they are only small stations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 1:37:44 #880722

>> As we can’t book tickets if we make it in the 2 minutes that is great but I thought with luggage we could be pushing it.

Let us know if you do manage to make the 2-minute transfer 🙂

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 9:08:56 #880723

Thanks a lot my friend. I too had the same question and its clear now with your pictures.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • The thread ‘Train change Göschenen – Andermatt – Disentis’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.