Itinerary for 8 nights in Switzerland in April/May

• cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    8 January 2018 at 4:21:49 #813973

Hi Guys,

Me and my wife will be travelling to Switzerland in April/May.

We are arriving at Zurich Airport on 26th April, 2018 in Afternoon and departure from Zurich is on 04th May in afternoon.

This is our first visit to Switzerland and we do not have much idea about where to go and all except what I am learning from this great Forum.

Till now, we have decided

1. Stay for 4N in Interlaken and Lucerne each

2. Buying Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days (we both have completed 27, so I guess, we need to take adult pass). I am assuming I need to spend for travel cost for 9th day.

3. We want to explore few mountains, couple of cruise (in lucerne and interlaken), chocolate factory, atleast one panaromic train.

4. We also want to do skydiving and please let me know the cost for it.

Can anybody suggest best itinerary for me in such a way that I do not need to spend any additional amount for travel i.e. it should be completely included in Swiss Pass.

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 January 2018 at 4:40:40 #873788

Hello cspatrik and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

When finalising your plans please be aware of some of the closures at that time of year. See Alpenrose666 post on this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gondolarail-access-to-mountains-in-aprilmay-2018. Especially for trip to Schiltorn.

Yes you will need adult Swiss Travel Pass.

The major panoramic trains (eg Glacier Express) require an additional seat reservation charge not included in the STP.

Some mountain railway and cable cars you will only get 25% or 50% discount with STP. See the downloadable map on this page http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Interlaken is OK but many people prefer to stay in the Jungfrau Region proper – eg Wengen where you are in the mountains and the scenery is majestic. Probably not for you if you need to go clubbing of an evening.

You might want to consider dropping a night in Lucerne or Interlaken and then on 2nd May travel to Zermatt. See the Matterhorn then on 3rd you could travel from there to Chur on the Glacier Express and then on to overnight in Zurich prior to your departure on 4th May.

Can’t help with skydiving. Much too scary for me.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    8 January 2018 at 5:36:06 #873789

Thanks a lot Rockoyster.

My bad, if I would have known about closure of few trains during these days, I have not books my flight tickets.

Thank you so much for this information.

I agree to your suggestion for staying Wengen.and yes I do not like clubs. We will be in swiss to enjoy nature

I will have look at the suggestions you provided for other cities.

just out of curiousity, since we will find closure at some places, do you recommend to spend 4 days to spend in other countries like France/Italy and 4 days in Swiss to cover only few important places like you mentioned. Do you feel that 4 days in swiss will be lesser to explore important sight seeing of Swiss.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    8 January 2018 at 5:39:56 #873790

Frankly speaking, we are budgeted travellers, we want to utilise STP optimum so that we do not need to spend additionally on any travel except mandatory like reservation charges for glacier train etc.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 January 2018 at 6:33:22 #873791

Hi cspatrik,

You asked “do you recommend to spend 4 days to spend in other countries like France/Italy and 4 days in Swiss to cover only few important places“.

Well I’m a big fan of Switzerland. I spent almost 4 weeks here in May/June 2017 and only saw about half of what I would like to see. I’ll be back for more this year.

Having said that, Switzerland is expensive. You certainly notice the price difference when going over the border to Germany or Italy. Maybe this might help – http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself/sa vemoney

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2018 at 8:21:07 #873792

Hi cspatrik,

You can check prices for skydiving with the companies listed on the Interlaken Tourism webpage.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    9 January 2018 at 9:07:11 #873793

Thanks rockoyster. That’s the great help you have done. I guess, I will drop my plan of travelling to other countries than Switzerland. Is there any specific forum thread where I can get easy help of Itinerary for 8N of Switzerland?

@Chantal Thanks, I will have look at suggested website for Skydiving.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 January 2018 at 9:54:53 #873794

There is lots of information on this site to get you started. Suggest an itinerary that fits your objectives and post it here to get advice. It is not possible for members here to suggest an itinerary as we don’t have an appreciation of what you are looking for.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    9 January 2018 at 9:55:56 #873795

No problem. Thanks a lot for all your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2018 at 10:39:37 #873796

Hi cspratik,

If you are looking for professional help in creating an itinerary have a look our our suggestions for trip planning here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2018 at 22:29:40 #873797

Hi cspratik,

I am no expert by any means and am in the same boat as you working up my itinerary. We are flying from the US and will be in Germany/Switzerland from April 28-May 12. We are renting a car for the first couple days and driving through southern Germany and northern Switzerland, but then return the car in Zurich and use trains for the rest of our trip. Below is the train portion of our Swiss itinerary if you want to pull any ideas from it. Hope it might help a bit 🙂

5/4:

Train from Zurich to Interlaken

5/4, 5/5, 5/6 and 5/7: Based on Weather

• Wengen to Muerren
    • Muerren to Schilthorn, Piz Gloria, Thrill Walk
    • Schilthorn to Gimmelwald
    • Gimmelwald to Stechelberg
    • Trummelbach Falls
    • Walk through the valley of 72 waterfalls to Lauterbrunnen
    • Back to Wengen
    • Wengen to Kleine Scheidigg
    • Kleine Scheidigg to Jungfraujoch
    • Jungfraujoch to Grindelwald
    • Grindelwald to First Cliff Walk
    • Either First Mountain Cart or Trottibike Scooter down the mountain
    • Explore Grindelwald
    • Wengen to Interlaken West
    • Lake Thun boat to Oberhofen Castle
    • St Beatus Caves
    • Boat back to Interlaken West
    • Train to Interlaken Ost
    • Walk to Harder Valley Railway Station
    • Funicular to Harder Kulm
    • *sunset* from Two Lakes Bridge
    • Wengen to Interlaken Ost
    • Boat on Lake Brienz – visit Giessbach falls
    • Chocolate making workshop – Interlaken (funkychocolateclub.com /workshops/)

5/8:

• Take the train from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen to Meiringen
    • Leave luggage at train station
    • Walk to Aare Gorge
    • Train to Lucerne
    • Drop bags at hotel
    • Boat to Brunnen
    • Swiss Army Knife Museum and Visitor Center
    • Boat back to Lucerne
    • Lion Monument
    • Chapel Bridge
    • Jesuit Church
    • Explore Lucerne

5/9:

• Take the Burgenstock shuttle boat from Lucerne to Kehrsiten – Burgenstock
    • Take funicular to Burgenstock resort
    • Explore and have lunch at Burgenstock resort
    • Bergenstock Felsenweg hike to Hammetschwand lift (30min)
    • Burgenstock back to Lucerne

5/10:

5/11:

5/12:

Hotel shuttle to Zurich Airport

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2018 at 1:41:36 #873798

When taking a look at the itinerary helpfully posted by Lana, you will need to keep the following in mind, as you will be travelling at a time of year when many mountain transport operations are closed down for maintenance, or will not yet have reopened (after the winter closure) before you leave.

Zermatt

Both the Gornergrat railway and the cableway to Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise will be operating

Jungfrau Region

• Cable car to the Schilthorn is closed for maintenance 23-27 April 2018. It sounds like you won’t be there until 30 April though, so that will be OK.
    • Gondola Grindelwald-First – operating
    • Trümmelbach Falls – open

Interlaken-Thun-Brienz area

• Boats on the Thunersee and Brienzersee (Lakes Thun and Brienz) will be operating to a spring timetable (reduced frequency compared with summer)
    • Oberhofen Castle is closed until 12 May.
    • St Beatus Caves will be open.
    • Harder Kulm funicular – operating
    • Aare Gorge – open, but only the west entrance, as the east entrance doesn’t open until 10 May 2018. So you will need to retrace your steps rather than exiting from the east entrance.

Luzern

• The boat and funicular to the Bürgenstock will be operating, but the Hammetschwand Lift is likely to be closed until the first Saturday in May, i.e. 5 May 2018.

Alpenrose

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    11 January 2018 at 13:51:58 #873799

Hey Lana,

Thank you so much for such a detailed list of places.This is certainly going to help me to decide my itinerary.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    11 January 2018 at 13:52:38 #873800

Thanks Alpanrose for information. I will keep this in mind while deciding my itinerary.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    12 January 2018 at 4:17:16 #873801

Thanks a lot guys for help. Here is my tentative itinerary after looking at few travel reports and Lana’ itinerary with help of Alpenrose666

26th April (Will use STP) (Half-Day Lucerne)

• Arrival on Zurich Airport at noon
    • Will take train to Lucerne and checkin to Accommodation
    • After settling luggage, will do
    • Burgenstock – Kehrsiten – Burgenstock resort

27th April (Will use STP) (full-Day)

• Lucerne – Engelberg – Mount Titlis – Lucerne
    • Local Lucerne, if we get any time

28th April (Will use STP) (full-Day)

• Mount Pilatus
    • Explore Bern and return back to Lucerne

29th April (Will use STP) (full-Day)

• Will check out from Lucerne in morning and check-in to Interlaken and will do
    • Lake Brinze – Aare Gorge – Unterseen – Interlaken

30th April (Will use STP) (full-Day)

• Murren – Schilthon – Wengen

1st May ( will use STP) (full-Day)

• Gridlewald – Jungfrau

2nd May ( will use STP) (full-Day)

• Montreux and nearby places – Golden Pass Rail

3rd May (will use STP) (full-day)

• Will check out from Interlaken and go to Zurich
    • If we get time, will go to Rhine Falls and explore Zurich

4th May (No STP) (Half-Day)

• Zurich – We have flight by noon. Hence will relax and packup

As mentioned by Alpenros, I will take into consideration the closure at few places.

Request anyone to review this and let me know to improve this itinerary.

Based on above, I have few questions. Your help will be appreciated.

1. In above itinerary, is there any possibilities that I can includee chocolatee factory visit?
    2. Which will be the other panaromic train I can use for above itinerary?
    3. Which are the places in above itinerary which does not come under STP like Jungfrau?
    4. Also want to visit few Castle and Monuments ?

Your help will be appreciated in this regard. Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2018 at 13:15:24 #873802

Hi cspratik,

1. Where will you be staying the night of May 1? You could head to the Maison Cailler chocolate factory in Broc as it is near Montreux.
    2. I don’t think any other panoramic train fits into your itinerary – they aren’t close to where you are staying/traveling. You’d have to change the itinerary to fit one in – panoramic trains.
    3. Both Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Titlis are 50% off with the Swiss Travel Pass – you can see what is covered fully or partially on the Swiss Travel Pass here. There is a PDF map of the rail lines as well as a list of major attractions on that page.
    4. There is the popular Chillon castle near Montreux and the Freddie Mercury statue (is that a monument?) there as well. What kind of monuments are you looking for?

Watch out for April 28 – visiting Mt. Pilatus and Bern on the same day from Lucerne is quite busy (but doable).

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    12 January 2018 at 15:10:48 #873803

Hi Lucas, thank you for your reply.

1. I will be staying in Interlaken on the nights of 30th, 01st, 02nd and 03rd May.

2. Okay.I will checkfor other panoramic train in case if I change my itinerary

3. Thanks, will have a look at map and decide.

4. Thanks. I will have a look at it.

Do you recommend to visit any other cities like Lucano, Geneva, Zermatt, Chur instead of any other things already mentioned in my itinerary? Do you find it worth the time and money?

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    12 January 2018 at 15:41:37 #873804

What about the new funicular of Stoos? Is it operating in April-May? If yes, then I would love to visit it on my 1st day itself. Any idea?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2018 at 17:03:37 #873805

Well Zermatt is lovely (and expensive) but you get to see the Matterhorn which is great. If the town appeals to you then you can also combine it with a trip on the Glacier Express which starts there and runs to Chur and St. Moritz (8 hours). You can get off before that if you don’t want to go the entire way (stop in Brig or Andermatt for example). See route details here.

Yes, the Stoos Funicular runs year-round – its actually the only way for residents of Stoos to get home!
    Its brand new last month and looks quite impressive. I have tentative plans to go there next Friday for a look myself. 🙂

You can make the trip there fairly easily from Luzern in about 1.5 hours – use the timetable to plan the trip(s).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 January 2018 at 19:52:25 #873806

Hi Lucas,

I believe Stoos Funicular is closed for maintenance in April. It recommences operation on 28 April.

Stoos residents must have to “get home” via Brünnen and cable cars. 😎 See attached timetable for 27 April.

There’s an idea cspratik – round trip Lucerne, Schwyz, Stoos, Brünnen ( cable car), Lucerne (by boat).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 10:11:20 #873807

Ha. Poor Stoos residents….you’d think a brand new funicular could go longer than 5 months without a maintenance break!

Funny how the timetable in April does only give you the route to Stoos via the Morschach cable car but notes a warning that due to limited capacity you should take the funicular at Stoos instead. 🙂 even though it is closed for maintenance…

Either way it only adds 10 minutes to their commute (assuming there are no lines at the cable car).

Random comment:
    funicular in German is Zahnradbahn (toothwheel train)
    In Swiss its Standseilbahn (stand cable car) which confuses my German wife because she thinks of any Seilbahn as being in the air (not just a Luftseilbahn). The argument between Swiss-German and German continues! haha

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • The thread ‘Itinerary for 8 nights in Switzerland in April/May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.