Itinerary visiting Zurich & Interlaken for 4 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2017 at 15:05:30 #811319

Hi

We are visiting Switzerland from North America in August 2017 with kids 16 and 14 years old for 4 days.

Route planned

Paris – >Zurich ( overnight stay)-> Interlaken ( 3 night stay) – >Paris

I am planning to visit

Day 1 -Zurich – Rhine Fall and city tour

Day 2 – Jungfraujoch

Day 3 – Mt. Pilatus and Paragliding

Day 4 – Interlaken City tour or Zermatt – I am not sure If I can visit Zermatt as I would be leaving for Paris in the evening.

I am planning to book TGV from Paris to Zurich and return and STP for 4 days.

I would like to know – is it better to extend stay in Zurich and visit Mt. Pilatus? or I can still do it from Interlaken. How do I book TGV for return trip to Paris?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 April 2017 at 17:16:02 #861135

Thanks for joining the discussions SA123!

Personally I’d rather stay in Lucerne than Zurich as it is closer to the Alps, and also to Mount Pilatus. But if the Rhine Falls are a must for you it makes sense to pick Zurich.

A city tour in Interlaken won’t be worth it as there is not much to see in town. You’d better spend time on one of the lakes or the Jungfrau region south of Interlaken. I wouldn’t visit Zermatt on a day with a return trip to Paris included. There’s so much to see much closer to Interlaken.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass on a day you travel from or to Paris, you only need tickets for the french leg of the trip (Paris – Basel). In any case you can book tickets as explained here. The Swiss Travel Pass can be printed at home, please see here.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 April 2017 at 1:13:39 #861136

Hi SA123-

Arno has given good guidance.

I have some personal opinions, for what they are worth. 😉

Skip the Rhinefalls. Especially in August, the water flow is reduced. The falls are powerful, especially in the Spring, but they are not very high. Since you are in North America, visit Niagara instead. Just my opinion.

Skip Zürich unless you are interested in cultural items, or shopping at high-priced specialty shops, for which Zürich is a worth while goal.

But, if museums, art, theater, orchestras and shopping are not your primary interest, go to where the scenery is… Luzern is a much better base for that.

If you have special reasons for visiting Zürich, it is, of course, a different matter. I love Zürich, and always spend time there when I am in Switzerland. In fact, it is my favorite city for my personal interests. And, it is a good transportation hub, but far from the only one in Switzerland. That said, I and the moderators do not put it high on the list for first time visitors. It is not in the Alps.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2017 at 1:04:26 #861137

Thanks Slowpoke and Arno for suggestions . Just one more question – Why does TGV price for Single ticket is cheaper vs. booked for 4 of us? For e.g. Paris to Zurich HB – Single ticket is CAD 91 but for 4 tickets it is $ 126 each. I did not understand why would TGV would charge me extra for booking multiple tickets.

Is seat number assigned while booking? Else I would book 4 single tickets.

Thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 April 2017 at 1:13:52 #861138

Hi SA123-

Perhaps some experts on rail systems outside Switzerland can answer that.

As I read your note, I wonder if there is come confusion about CAD vs. USD. The ratios seem about correct….?

The moderators here are knowledgeable on the Swiss system, as well as some others, and might be able to help with the French system.

My own not very well informed perspective is that I don’t understand how the French run their excellent railways.

Have you tried booking through the SBB website?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2017 at 1:40:23 #861139

Hi

I was checking TGV ticket prices on raileurope.ca. I have attached screen shots for your reference. Please check second class ticket price

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2017 at 8:28:48 #861140

Hi SA123,

Welcome to MySwissAlps from anther Canadian!

I just did that trip to and from Gare De Lyon to Zurich (Gare De Lyon is insanely busy so be aware of that) They announced the train platform 10 minutes before departure and 800 people tried to cram on 16 carriages….quite entertaining. Things are more relaxed at Swiss train stations, even big ones like Zurich. 🙂

From what I can see on your screen shot the prices are starting at $91 per adult but it depends on the time you select. ie. 10:23 is $126 p.p and the 12:23 is $91.p.p It doesn’t make sense otherwise for the price, per person, to go up when more people are booking.

It is possible they only have 1 or 2 tickets available at $91 on a certain train and the other 2 are more expensive…unusual but I could see that happening.

I checked prices on the Swiss railways website and found them to be between 90chf and 155chf…so the raileurope website has better prices! 90chf is about $120 cdn.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Itinerary visiting Zurich & Interlaken for 4 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.