Itinerary suggestion 8 days early October

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2015 at 23:22:37 #807808

Hi,

We are a couple visiting Switzeralnd in the month of October for 8 days. We arrive in Geneva (Morning Flight) and Depart from Zurich (Evening Flight). Can you advise an ideal itinerary that covers most of the major attractions (Rigi, Pilatus ,Stanserhorn ,Mt Titlis,Jungfraujoch,Schilthorn,Rhine Fall) and also what should be an ideal location where we can base our stay so as to avoid constant transfers with luggage.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 August 2015 at 0:41:07 #845610

Hi Maulik –

Welcome to the forum.

<<“We are a couple visiting Switzeralnd in the month of October for 8 days.We arrive in Geneva (Morning Flight) and Depart from Zurich (Evening Flight)”>>

The weather and available hotels and transport facilities in Switzerland’s most scenic regions tend to change a lot as October progresses. Toward the end of the month, things begin to shut down for maintenance before the winter ski season, and higher trails may be blocked by snow.

So, when you come in October makes a difference. When might that be?

You might be looking at two bases for the wide range of sites you wish to see.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2015 at 5:22:45 #845611

Hi Slowpoke,

Thank you for the revert and my apologies for not being specific on my dates. We arrive in Geneva at 9 in the morning on the 30th of September and depart from Zurich at 7.30 in the evening on the 7th of October. [8 days 7 nights]

Would appreciate if you could name the 2 bases (specific towns) for the visit. We would be making extensive use of the public transport system to get around the country.

Maulik.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 August 2015 at 7:42:46 #845612

<<“Can you advise an ideal itinerary that covers most of the major attractions (Rigi, Pilatus ,Stanserhorn ,Mt Titlis,Jungfraujoch,Schilthorn,Rhine Fall) and also what should be an ideal location where we can base our stay so as to avoid constant transfers with luggage.”>>

You are early enough in October that snowy weather is unlikely to be a major problem. Can happen; unlikely.

The logical bases for your goals are Lucerne (forgive me if I slip and spell it Luzern…..that is the spelling in German, which is the language of the region) and the Jungfrau region to the south of Interlaken. Towns such as Wengen, Grindelwald and Mürren come to mind. Interlaken by itself is better as a transfer point; the real scenery is south of there.

Look at a map:

map.classic.search.ch/

Info on the areas:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

The Rhine Falls are an outlier, from a geographic perspective. Consider seeing them on your last day before you fly out . That will be easy to organize, especially if you come from Luzern or stay near the Zurich airport. (The airport is as little as one hour from Luzern.).

This link will help on that:

http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls

Timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I’d also have a very mild preference for the Berner Obeland/Jungfrau Region first, from a weather perspective. However, weather in that region is very changeable, and if you want to go up to Jungfraujoch, leave flexibility and keep an eye on the weather forecasts. If it is cloudy up top. the cost of the view of the inside of a cloud is a bit high.

Annika
    7104 posts
    23 August 2015 at 8:07:27 #845613

Hello Maulik!

Since you indicate you’ll be using public transportation intensively, it makes sense to look into rail passes. An 8 day Swiss Travel Pass would most probably be the most convenient option for your stay. You can compare it to other passes as explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2015 at 12:36:33 #845614

Thanks Slowpoke!

Can you suggest an equitable split between the number of days to spend in Wengen and Luzern [ No Slips here 🙂 ]

I have more or less made up my mind for Wengen, however I see that the hotel tariffs for Wengen are more in the higher side! Any suggestions for a budget traveler?

Similarly is there an area within Luzern that is more advisable to stay in

Since we arrive in Geneva at AM, we would like to see a few sights in Geneva before making our way to Interlaken by the Golden Pass line, any suggestions of attractions and options to store luggage till we make our journey to Interlaken

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2015 at 12:40:28 #845615

Thanks Annika. You couldn’t have put it more better….8 day Swiss Pass is a MUST!

Would you suggest scenic train route(s) that you suggest as a must do?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 August 2015 at 13:17:47 #845616

<<“and options to store luggage “>>

Here are some options for shipping it. Offhand, that may not work for you,

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/bagg age.html

Here is info about Geneva Main Station’s luggage service:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/bahnhof-finden.posid.1008.html

There are lockers also. Require Swiss coins, last time I was there.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/bahnhof-finden.posid.1008.html

Details on lockers are missing. The station is being rebuilt….almst finnished….they may be movng the lockers around.

<<” have more or less made up my mind for Wengen, however I see that thehotel tariffs for Wengen are more in the higher side! Any suggestionsfor a budget traveler?Similarly is there an area within Luzern that is more advisable to stay in”>>

Arno and Annika have compiled extensive information about hotels. You are right…there are some expensive ones! Also, less expensive

This site has resources; Arno and Annika keep track of housing options.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac commodation

The map and time table that I linked to above can help guide your rail journeys. Around Wengen, and the Jugfrau region in general, everything is scenic! 😉 (if you have good weather.)

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2015 at 13:22:09 #845617

Thanks Slowpoke! Your prompt revert’s are really appreciated…

And what would you suggest on the number of nights to split between Interlaken and Luzern

Also, an advisable location/area in Luzern to base our stay there

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 August 2015 at 13:35:59 #845618

Glad ts helpful.

Please check the link in earlier post about accomodation for Luzern.

The map I provided a link to can also show hotel locations for you to consider if you use the menus and the correct zoom.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 August 2015 at 14:00:47 #845619

Affordable apartments in Wengen can be found in my August 19 post in this thread. Apart from that you can have a look at Hotel Bernerhof, which is also close to the rail station and affordable.

For Luzern there are suggestions on the Luzern page.

mistybabu
    Participant
    28 posts
    25 August 2015 at 17:28:42 #845620

Hi Maulik!

We visited Geneva in early July this year. We stored our luggage in the lockers at the Geneve Cornavin Station. The locker room is unmanned adjacent to the sbb office and near the migros. There is a booth which accepts credit card as well but we did not risk. We paid in coins for the first locker and notes for the second and got the change back. As far as I remember, we paid 10 chf for the bigger locker for 6 hours. The service is superb. And we saw the UN, ICRC, lake and Jetdau during the day and left for Lausanne by the evening train. I am trying to attach a photo for your idea, Hope this helps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2015 at 6:30:30 #845621

Hi mistybabu,

Appreciate your input on this….and was very kind of you to include the picture as well. We arrive in Geneva early in the morning and intend to make most of the day before leaving for Interlaken…We are also considering taking the Golden Pass Line to Interlaken as an option…

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    27 August 2015 at 11:25:19 #845622

Wow Maulik

Your plan is exactly like mine including the dates (we might actually bump into each other), I will tell you what I have decided after months of preparation:

5 days in Murren (Hotel Bellevue, excellent hotel offering some exclusive discount if you visit the Trip Advisor page). This would cover Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, Mannlichen hike, Trummelbach falls, First to Baschee hike

3 days in Luzern (I will stay at Seeburg Hotel + Honegg Hotel) Check out the hotelscombined website. This would cover Rigi, Lake Cruise and tour of luzern city)

All the best!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 August 2015 at 12:24:50 #845623

<<“intend to make most of the day before leaving for Interlaken…We are also considering taking the Golden Pass Line to Interlaken as an option…”>>

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The route through Bern is something like an hour shorter than the Golden Pass. Might be useful after a long day. Although the section of the Golden Pass immediately above Montreux in the vineyards might still be inn sunlight, the route is less attractive when it is dark.

I’d check the sunset time for Montreux and for Zweisimmen ( “via” point for thee Golden Pass) or Spiez as part of the decision process.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2015 at 5:16:15 #845624
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2015 at 6:37:08 #845625

Hi Slowpoke,

What type of Clothing would you suggest for the trip to Switzerland (1st week of October). Considering an excursion to Mt. Titlis, Jungfraujoch etc. We would be mostly based in the Interlaken area.

Regards,

Maulik.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 August 2015 at 12:45:23 #845626

In general, a rainjacket/windbreaker, a few layers, including a fleece, and a rain hat.

You probably won’t need the fleece until you are outdoors up in the mountains, but it might be useful at night at lower levels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2015 at 14:50:46 #845627

& How about the footwear?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2015 at 14:52:06 #845628

Hi msra7hm2,What a co-incidence! Hopefully our paths shall cross :-)Do you have Geneva in your itinerary as well? If yes, what are the attractions that you intend to visit?Regards,Maullik

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 August 2015 at 15:34:51 #845629

<<“& How about the footwear?”>>

Maulik-

You did not describe activities other than riding the trains and a bit of walking around scenic destinations, as far as I can see. Perhaps i missed some comments?

Footwear for that is not critical, but in cold weather it is nice to keep your feet warm. Sandals would not be so good.

If you have specific plans that are more demanding, let us know. This link may help.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/preparation

Slowpopke

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • The thread ‘Itinerary suggestion 8 days early October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.