Advice for 6 night Swiss itinerary from Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2018 at 6:39:09 #814628

Hi!

I am traveling into and out of Zurich (Aug- Sept) with a friend, and would really appreciate anyone who could help me with my itinerary. So far, I have this.-

Thursday: Zurich (all day)

Friday: Day trip to Bern (sleep in Zurich)

Saturday: Day trip to Konstanz or Lugano (sleep in Zurich).

Sunday: Day trip to Lucerne (Mt Pilatus).

Monday: Golden Pass to Montreux from Lucerne (sleep in Montreux) and go to Chateau d’ Chillon.

Tuesday: Train from Montreux to Geneva (sleep in Geneva)

Wednesday: From Geneva, fly to Budapest.

From Budapest, visit Vienna and Prague. Return to Zurich for last day. We think that, if we are not exhausted of course, we can take the day trip to Konstanz this last day from Zurich.

My questions are:

Would it be better to cancel Konstanz or Lugano for Saturday and go to Lucerne instead? I read here that most stores close early on Sunday. Please confirm.

How long is the excursion to Mt Pilatus? If we get to Lucerne early (say 9am), how much time should we allocate to also stroll around the city? What time is the last train / boat to Lucerne?

On Sunday, would Interlaken be a better choice?Do you suggest staying there that night, in preparation for the Golden Pass panoramic train to Montreux the following day? Should we take the train back to Lucerne so we can start that Golden Pass excursion?

We plan on getting a 4 day swiss pass to cover most of these. What do you guys think?

This itinerary is not set in stone but we need to get to Geneva Wednesday afternoon for our flight to Budapest at 6pm. This will be our first time in Switzerland so any suggestions are appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 March 2018 at 10:08:34 #877792

Hu anaporras84

Welcome to my Swiss Alps. It’s nice to be able to have that much time in Switzerland.

I’m sure you’ll get advice here about your itinerary, which seems to be designed to cover a lot of Swiss territory, with short times in each destination. It certainly can be done as is. My first thought is to ask why you want to vist Konstanz? My second is why you do not try for the most spectacular scenery in Switzerland, near the Jungfrau?

However, before offering advice, its helpful if we can understand your interests.

Besides spending a lot of time on trains, which is always nice in Switzerland, do you like to hike? See the high Alps? Visit the old towns in cities that were never bombed out in WWII? Museums, historic buildings? Eat and drink at deluxe restaurants? Spend money? ( The last one is easy in Switzerland).

Indeed, most stores close completely on Sunday. The exceptions are in some railroad terminals, such as Shopville in Zürich Main station, and a few other stations. “Convenience stores” Kiosk, Aperto, Volg will have limited hours on Sundays.

Train and transport services run on Sundays, often with a reduced schedule.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2018 at 11:05:50 #877793

Hi anaporras84, and welcome!

I would go straight to Lucerne upon arrival, and to Slowpoke’s point, look into the Jungfrau region as well. A day trip from Bern can be done from there.

A trip to Mt. Pilatus is at least half a day. You can plan your trips by using the Swiss timetable.

The Swiss Travel Pass is a very convenient option for traveling in Switzerland. If you’re not concerned about the cheapest option, I would definitely purchase this pass. If you would like to research a bit more, then have a look at How to choose the best rail pass.

You might be interested to read about Attractions and other things to do in Switzerland and Plan your trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 23:21:47 #877794

Hi again,

We can certainly move Konstanz for our last day in Zurich, when we return from Prague.

Yes, we would love to see the Jungrau Region. What do you suggest?

Our itinerary now looks like this, with the Jungrau region included:

Thursday: Flight to Zurich arrives at 11 am (Zurich all day)

Friday: From Zurich, day trip to Luzern & Mount Pilatus (sleep in Zurich) SWISS PASS

Saturday: From Zurich, day trip to Bern (sleep in Zurich). SWISS PASS

Sunday: Train to Interlaken, visit Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen OR Murren (Schilthorn). WHAT OPTION SEEMS BEST FOR A DAY EXCURSION? SWISS PASS

Monday: Golden Panoramic Train to Montreux from Interlaken and go to Chateau d’ Chillon. IS IT POSSIBLE TO LEAVE OUR LUGGAGE IN THE TRAIN STATION IN MONTREUX? WE CAN EITHER SPEND THE DAY IN MONTREUX, visit the Castle, OR JUST TAKE LAST TRAIN TO GENEVA, and sleep in Geneva? This will be our last day for the Swiss Pass.

If we stay in Montreux, then we may have a buy a single point to point ticket from Montreux to Geneva for Tuesday.

Chantal, you were suggesting a day trip to Bern from the Jungrau region. Will it be best to cancel a night in Zurich and transfer to Interlaken for 2 nights instead?

Everything can be done with the Swiss Pass, I’ve read. There are so many options out there (Tell Pass, Half Fare Card, etc) but I think the best option for us in this itinerary would be the Swiss Pass, correct?

I really appreciate your input. Thanks,

Ana

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 March 2018 at 23:35:23 #877795

Hi Ana,

Is there some special reason to stay in Zurich? Going straight to Lucerne as Chantal suggested is a much better idea.

On Saturday you could visit Bern and then continue to Interlaken (or one of the mountain villages) for an overnight stay Saturday and Sunday. That will give you all day Sunday to explore the Jungfrau Region.

You can leave luggage at Montreux Station while you explore but if you are staying ay Montreux you should be able to drop luggage off at your hotel even if a room is not ready.

You mean the Swiss Travel Pass (the Swiss Pass is a different product not available to visitors) and it is probably best as you are moving through different areas. This page http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity tells you where you can travel for free with the Swiss Travel Pass. Study the downloadable map and note that some mountain cable cars and cod-wheel railways only offer a discount of 50% or 25% in the case of Wengen or Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 0:20:00 #877796

Zurich? Yes. I think it would be best since we will be travelling from the US (long flight), we can take it easy that day. Also, I am planning on using the 4-day Swiss Travel Pass the day after we arrive, Friday, until the day of the Golden Panoramic Pass from Interlaken to Lucerne. Staying in Interlaken sounds better than a 3rd night in Zurich. I will adjust that. Thank you!

Is it doable to explore Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen in a day? What trains are best to take from Interlaken to Grindelwald, Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen and Lauterbrunnen back to Interlaken?

I read Schilthorn is free with the Swiss Travel Pass, is that correct?

thanks!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 March 2018 at 0:22:39 #877797

Hi Ana –

<<“We can certainly move Konstanz for our last day in Zurich, when we return from Prague.”>>

As I wrote before – <“My first thought is to ask why you want to vist Konstanz?”>>

Or, do I misunderstand what you are saying here? I’m not sure if you mean to go to Konstanz when you return from Prague, or that you would skip Konstanz and substitute Zürich for Konstanz. If you do mean to see Konstanz, I really am curious why. I’ve been there a few times, and don’t recall anything that compels me to return.

Slowpoke.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 March 2018 at 0:38:34 #877798

You wrote –

<<“Is it doable to explore Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen in a day? What trains are best to take from Interlaken to Grindelwald, Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen and Lauterbrunnen back to Interlaken?”>>

Yes, easily, but you’d possibly enjoy Mürren and Wengen more.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Chantal wrote above:

<<“You can plan your trips by using the Swiss timetable. “>>

That is still true. You can use it to plan the trips you named.

If you look at this map, you will understand how those destinations are related:

map.search.ch/?pos=645184,162144&z=16

If you zoom in one step further, to zoom level 32, the train lines become very visible:

map.search.ch/?pos=638800,163712&z=32

Note the very scenic train loop between Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, , up to Kleine Scheidegg and down to Grindelwald. Or, you can go via Zweilütschinen along the valley floors which is not so scenic, and is cheaper because it is not an excursion train, but rather a train between population centers. The Swiss government makes sure that public transport is readily available between towns and subsidizes some costs on such routes.

Also, by studying the map, you will note that you can go by train from Lauterrbrunnen up to Wengen, then cableway up to Männlichen, then cable way down to Grindelwald. Really nice ride.

At that time of year you might want to consider the wonderfully scenic easy walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Pictures attached. It is so easy that it is nicknamed “the Grannies’ Trail.”

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 1:40:27 #877799

Wow! Thank you! Lots of information to read.

Someone recommended Konstanz but I haven’t seen much of it in pictures, at least.

Sorry if I didn’t explain myself on my prior post. We will be flying into Zurich, from Prague, for our last day In Switzerland. Our flight departs early next day from Zurich. We can definitely change the day trip somewhere close. Any recommendations? Liechtenstein or St Galen, maybe?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 March 2018 at 2:18:46 #877800

Hi Ana,

Even if you fly in to Zurich from US I’d still say catch a train direct from the airport to Lucerne and set up camp there. It is a 1 hour train ride. You can relax in a place that is already suitable for your remaining plans.

One night in Zurich when you get back from Prague is all you need there.

You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to figure out how best to get from A to B.

From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schilthorn if you have time. It is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls.

St Gallen is probably a better place to visit than Konstanz. Or you could go to Rhine Falls from Zurich.

See also this thread for Grindelwald http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/visiting-grindelwald-lauterbrunnen-and-murren.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 March 2018 at 2:47:38 #877801

H Ana-

<<“Someone recommended Konstanz but I haven’t seen much of it in pictures, at least.”>>

I can recommend a few dozen places in Switzerland, and Rockoyster can add several more. Although, I might note that I have visited in Switzerland over 80 times, and, he has done it once. However, he did it more intensively. ;-). Most of the places that I could recommend might not match your interests. The places that he recommends definitely match his interests.

So, I’d be pleased to recommend many places, including Konstanz, if:

<<“However, before offering advice, its helpful if we can understand your interests.

Besides spending a lot of time on trains, which is always nice in Switzerland, do you like to hike? See the high Alps? Visit the old towns in cities that were never bombed out in WWII? Museums, historic buildings? Eat and drink at deluxe restaurants? Spend money? ( The last one is easy in Switzerland).”>>

A recommendation always assumes that the recommender has a reason. If you don’t share that reason, the recommendation is worse than worthless; you can waste your precious time doing something that someone else enjoyed, but you might not.

We do not ask questions out of idle curiosity; we try to understand what might suit you best.

St. Gall ( Sankt Gallen) (watch the spellings) is a favorite of mine for a nice old town, the Abbey library, and a 700 year old restaurant. If you would like more details, I’ll be pleased to explain. I did not recommend it before, because I did not understand that you were interested. Note that the timetable tells me that it is 1hr 2 min or 1hr 9 min from Zürich main station. However, before offering advice, it’s helpful if we can understand your interests. Why did you suggest St. Gallen?

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 March 2018 at 2:53:48 #877802

<<“I read Schilthorn is free with the Swiss Travel Pass, is that correct?”>>

Check this link:

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Scroll down.

The answer is yes

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 5:12:29 #877803

<<…do you like to hike? See the high Alps?

I’m not much of a hiker, but being there surrounded by the beautiful scenery, I can definitely do! I love walking!

“Visit the old towns in cities that were never bombed out in WWII? Interesting!!! Yes! Historic buildings?” Definitely!!!

Museums? I usually include a few in my travels, but this time it’ll be a short stay in the cities, so I’d rather not. Unless you recommend a couple of great ones in the region I’m covering.

Eat and drink at deluxe restaurants? Spend money? ( The last one is easy in Switzerland).”>>. We are trying not to splurge, but I know this will be difficult in Switzerland. Definitely, we want to try the cheese, the chocolate, wine and all those delicacies. Oh and maybe doing a bit of shopping (watches, not just restricted to the high end brands, but also something unique/different is what I’m looking for) Suggestions are welcome!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 March 2018 at 5:41:33 #877804

Hi Slowpoke,

I’m struggling with your “A recommendation always assumes that the recommender has a reason”. I think I understand what you mean but It just doesn’t scan.

Is it not possible that the motive of the recommender may simply be to impart information unto the recommendee; to provide choice amongst hitherto unrecognised options?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    14 March 2018 at 22:40:57 #877805

I almost hesitate to get into this exchange, but I think it is important for people making suggestions to keep in mind that Ana is trying to organize her visit around a 4 day train pass, not a 3 and not an 8. So I imagine she is trying to set things up so that travel on days other than the 4 when she will have the pass will be kept to a minimum. Or am I off base here ?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 March 2018 at 23:40:55 #877806

Hi Rockoyster-

<<“I’m struggling with your “A recommendation always assumes that the recommender has a reason”. I think I understand what you mean but It just doesn’t scan.

Is it not possible that the motive of the recommender may simply be to impart information unto the recommendee; to provide choice amongst hitherto unrecognised options?”>>

I clearly was not clear ….;-)..in my comment, although some of the issue may be subtle interpretation of the words.

Here are a couple of examples :

“I recommend Luzern!” “We usually recommend Luzern. You can miss Zürich.”

” Give Geneva a miss.”

“I would go straight to Lucerne upon arrival,”

We often say that, when a poster has not expressed clear preferences, or at the beginning of a thread. We do it because our reason is that Luzern is “all-purpose.” Old town, lake and Mountains, famous historical sights.

Or, because Geneva doesn’t have high alpine scenery.

But, if the poster really want to walk in the high Alps, we have missed our objective.

I am known to recommend Weinstube zun Bäumli in Sankt Gallen.

http://www.weinstube-baeumli.ch/

That is because I like the old Swiss ambiance, and the well done simple Swiss dishes. The Kalbsbratwurst are the best, the Rösti are just right, etc…

If the poster wants an elegant restaurant with a sophisticated wine list, I’ve missed the mark.

You can’t recommend without believing that there is something worth doing or seeing, and if you don’t know the interests of the poster, you are wasting the time of both of you.

If the phrase is put this way “If you want simple well done very Swiss food in a historic cozy restaurant, I recommend Weinstube zum Bäumli, “, then that makes clear my reason. If no reason is stated, there is still an implicit reason.

To deal with your question –

<<<“Is it not possible that the motive of the recommender may simply be to impart information unto the recommendee; to provide choice amongst hitherto unrecognised options?”>>

That may indeed be a motive, but one can provide information without a recommendation.

“There is a historic small restaurant…well known to the locals. If that is what you like, I can recommend..xyz from personal experience..”

One definition of “Quality” is ” To consistently exceed the customer’s expectations.”

Th emphasis is on the customers interests and needs.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 March 2018 at 23:51:48 #877807

Hi Peterli=-

<<“I almost hesitate to get into this exchange, but I think it is important for people making suggestions to keep in mind that Ana is trying to organize her visit around a 4 day train pass, not a 3 and not an 8. So I imagine she is trying to set things up so that travel on days other than the 4 when she will have the pass will be kept to a minimum. Or am I off base here ?”>>

I don’t think so.

But, she has listed 6 or 7 days.

And, he who hesitates is lost. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 23:53:30 #877808

You got it right, Peterli.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 March 2018 at 23:53:53 #877809

Hi Ana –

<<“I’m not much of a hiker, but being there surrounded by the beautiful scenery, I can definitely do! I love walking!

“Visit the old towns in cities that were never bombed out in WWII? Interesting!!! Yes! Historic buildings?” Definitely!!!

Museums? I usually include a few in my travels, but this time it’ll be a short stay in the cities, so I’d rather not. Unless you recommend a couple of great ones in the region I’m covering.

Eat and drink at deluxe restaurants? Spend money? ( The last one is easy in Switzerland).”>>. We are trying not to splurge, but I know this will be difficult in Switzerland. Definitely, we want to try the cheese, the chocolate, wine and all those delicacies. Oh and maybe doing a bit of shopping (watches, not just restricted to the high end brands, but also something unique/different is what I’m looking for) Suggestions are welcome! “>>

Thanks. You reply gives us some things to focus on.

More later. I’need to spend a bit of time matching those interests to your proposed iteinerary….

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 0:01:16 #877810

Hi Slowpoke

I have to comment that I did not like to read the following ” I can recommend a few dozen places in Switzerland, and Rockoyster can add several more. Although, I might note that I have visited in Switzerland over 80 times, and, he has done it once. However, he did it more intensively. ;-). Most of the places that I could recommend might not match your interests. The places that he recommends definitely match his interests”

I feel that as Rockoyster has recently visited Switzerland for the first time, the suggestions and tips he posts have particular use for other first -time visitors and should not be disparaged in such a way. We all have subjective reasons for liking and recommending places and as several posters in the forum know some areas better than others do, we get a great variety of ideas on here. Kim is our undoubted expert on Wengen and surroundings, Alpenrose always gives clear instructions on how to get to places, particularly in the Engadine, instructions I have successfully followed. Peterli clearly likes Western Switzerland and while I have visited and enjoyed some of his favourite places, I have been picking up on and noting some new ideas from him. I intend to pick Rockoyster’s brain for some ideas on Ticino soon as he has been there and I haven’t! I know the Bernese Oberland best I guess and have expressed my liking for Thun as a base because of ease of access to a wide range of other places as well.

I agree it is a good idea to ascertain people’s interests before making too specific suggestions but we shouldn’t disregard / disparage other people’s experiences when they are trying to be helpful.

Maggie

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    15 March 2018 at 0:12:07 #877811

Hej Slowpoke !

<< That is because I like the old Swiss ambiance, and the well done simple Swiss dishes. >>

Next time you are over in the St. Gall area, take the train out to Mogelsberg, and go to the Restaurant Hotel Löwen. http://www.leue-markt.ch/# It is run by a family by the name of Schweizer, so what more could you want ? I notice that they have Oeil de Perdrix (from Neuchâtel) as does your Weinstube zun Bäumli in Sankt Gallen.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘Advice for 6 night Swiss itinerary from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.