Advice for 6 night Swiss itinerary from Zurich

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    15 March 2018 at 0:12:07 #877811

Hej Slowpoke !

<< That is because I like the old Swiss ambiance, and the well done simple Swiss dishes. >>

Next time you are over in the St. Gall area, take the train out to Mogelsberg, and go to the Restaurant Hotel Löwen. http://www.leue-markt.ch/# It is run by a family by the name of Schweizer, so what more could you want ? I notice that they have Oeil de Perdrix (from Neuchâtel) as does your Weinstube zun Bäumli in Sankt Gallen.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 March 2018 at 0:22:21 #877812

Thanks, Maggie-

<<“I agree it is a good idea to ascertain people’s interests before making too specific suggestions but we shouldn’t disregard / disparage other people’s experiences when they are trying to be helpful.”>>

You are right, of course.

I plead that I was relying on Rockoyster’s sense of humor and style of conversation, and forgot that subtleties don’t work well in digital conversations.

His experiences are indeed quite valuable, as are those of all people who post. All contribute, and their contributions are valuable, because of the different perspectives that they offer. Experience counts, and, it brings a different perspective. First visit counts for a lot…I can still remember some first time impressions.

No offense meant. I hope that none was taken.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 March 2018 at 0:24:35 #877813

<<“Next time you are over in the St. Gall area, take the train out to Mogelsberg, and go to the Restaurant Hotel Löwen.”>

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 1:24:59 #877814

I too appreciate everyone’s suggestions. They are all valuable and helpful. In fact, they made me rethink my itinerary to help with logistics. Planning on skipping Zurich and go straight to Lucerne. Thank you all for sharing.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 2:26:31 #877815

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments, Maggie.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 2:28:49 #877816

>> subtleties don’t work well in digital conversations.

You’re right, they don’t. They come across as snide remarks, and I for one am sick of them.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 March 2018 at 7:22:05 #877817

Hi all,

As always, I think all your suggestions have been very useful for the person starting the thread, Ana in this case. Let’s keep the tone friendly and embrace everyone’s suggestions and thoughts. After all, that’s what’s the forum is for: to get opinions. Opinions can be different, conflicting even, and based on one visit, dozens, or even just gathered info. It’s up to the thread starter to make choices and keep in mind that everyone is different in what they recommend and the way they express themselves.

Let’s keep up the good work. Thanks everyone!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 7:49:24 #877818

Hi Ana!

I have a feeling on your return to Zurich from Prague (flight?) you might not be interested in doing too much – You have a busy itinerary in Europe but you’re visiting some great cities and countries! Prague and Budapest are in my top 5 – especially Budapest!

Anyway back to Swtizerland. 🙂 There is a lot to explore in Zurich itself it is a nice town, just not around the mountains so isn’t as exciting for some! But if you want to scratch a museum itch there are some good ones here. Shopping is also Zurich’s “Raison d’Être” as it were. Use up your last Swiss Francs perhaps?

For a nice easy walk/hike with views over Lake Zurich and Zurich itself read about Uetliberg mountain here. We have a self-guided walking tour noted here, and if you want an easy day trip you could look at the Rhein falls which could be combined with Stein am Rhein (or just by itself). Read about my day trip to Stein am Rhein here.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 March 2018 at 8:38:07 #877819

Well said that man! 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 15:00:55 #877820

Lucas,

Yes! We may be exhausted by then but I will be happy knowing we covered a bunch of great sites. Zurich and Rhine Falls to end our trip sounds fantastic. I guess we’ll just play it by ear and see what we’ll be in the mood for then. Thank you again for the wonderful recommendations.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 March 2018 at 22:21:19 #877821

Hi Ana-

I have read the various suggestions for ending your trip when you return from Prague, as well as your comments on interests:

<<“I’m not much of a hiker, but being there surrounded by the beautiful scenery, I can definitely do! I love walking!

“Visit the old towns in cities that were never bombed out in WWII? Interesting!!! Yes! Historic buildings?” Definitely!!!

Museums? I usually include a few in my travels, but this time it’ll be a short stay in the cities, so I’d rather not. Unless you recommend a couple of great ones in the region I’m covering.

Eat and drink at deluxe restaurants? Spend money? ( The last one is easy in Switzerland).”>>. We are trying not to splurge, but I know this will be difficult in Switzerland. Definitely, we want to try the cheese, the chocolate, wine and all those delicacies. Oh and maybe doing a bit of shopping (watches, not just restricted to the high end brands, but also something unique/different is what I’m looking for) Suggestions are welcome! “>>.

I think we have dealt with interest in walking in beautiful scenery by fitting in a trip to the Jungfrau region. Based in Interlaken, if you klike. Interlaken is a good transport hub, wirth excellent mainline rail connections. The rail lines from Interlaken into the Lauterbrunnem Valley and up to the various viallges and mountains already discussed are where the scenic walks are…lots, with different degrees of difficulty. Although we often recommend staying in one of those locations, instead of Interlaken, it is because the entire experience and ambience really showcase high Alpine Switzerland. But, the trains and other transport in and out and around the region close to the Jungfrau are not fast, and you can eat up as much as an hour going in or out.

There are nice old towns in Luzern an, actually, in a couple of parts of Zürich…near the Lindenhof and near Neumarkt on the other side of the river in the Niederdorf. Although each of the obvious cities near and including Geneva ( Lausanne and Montreux) have some older parts, and Montreux may have the widest range of easily accessible tourist sites among those three, I’m not sure that they a re known for their old towns. Geneva has a lot of “City that has older buildings as well as newer ones” if that distinction means anythingbeause I’m not sure how to express it. But, the centers of Luzern, to reasonable degree-Zürich, and especially St. Gall and Bern, all have a more distinct “Old Town” typically where the walled and/or moated cities were in earlier days. Some of our colleagues from the French-speaking region may help by refining my comments, particularly about Lausanne, Montreux and Geneva.

In Luzern, the Jesuitenkirche is wonderful. So is the Fraumünster; old, and with Chagall’s art added. . See attached picture of the Jesuitenkirche at dawn.

In Zürich, if you eat in the Zeughauskeller or zum Kropf, you are in very old buildings.

Aspecial old town, with wonderful historic buildings is St. Gall. As I said before –

St. Gall ( Sankt Gallen) (watch the spellings) is a favorite of mine for

a nice old town, the Abbey library, and a 700 year old restaurant. If

you would like more details, I’ll be pleased to explain. I did not

recommend it before, because I did not understand that you were

interested. Note that the timetable tells me that it is 1hr 2 min or 1hr

9 min from Zürich main station.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Abbey_of_Saint_Gall

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Abbey_library_of_Saint _Gall

whc.unesco.org/en/list /268

Images?

http://www.google.com/search?q=st+gall+images+of+ab bey+library&client=fir efox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&sourc e=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKE wizvpHds_TZAhVh6YMKHcy MAbAQsAQIOw&biw=1827&b ih=1033

Museums -You will find world-class museums all around Switzerland.

Zürich has some of the best. You can read about them here:

http://www.inyourpocket.com/z urich/Sightseeing/Muse ums?&p=1

Scroll down to the second or third page. I’d pick the Rietbeg for the special art collections, and the Landesmuseum ( Historical Museum) near the main station

http://www.rietberg.ch/en-gb/home.aspx

In Luzern, 3 minutes from the main station, is the Sammlung Rosengart ( Rosengart Collection). A very powerful ad extensive collection of Picassos, and about 100 Paul Klees in chronological order.

http://www.rosengart.ch/en/we lcome

For the shopping and restaurants of all kinds, any large city will do. Zürich. Luzern,Bern, the trio of French citeis discussed.

In Zürich, the Zeughauskeller is a placed frequented by locals, businessmen, bankers, and tourists of all kinds.

http://www.zeughauskeller.ch/ en/home

Food is good and the atmosphere is fun. Close by, I like Restaurant zum Kropf. Old Switzerland.

The hotel that I stay at in Zürich, the Adler, has a very very very popular restaurant called “Swiss Chuchi) with a range of fondues and raclettes.

http://www.hotel-adler.ch/index.php/en/ restaurant

In Luzern, my go to place for a range from simple and cheap ( by Swiss standadrds) to good full meals, is the Rathausbrauerei. (Rathaus means council house or town hall).

http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch /en/

I also have liked the Schiff, for years, under the arcades near the Rathausbrauerei. Used to be a hotel and restaurant, now just a restaurant.

Both places have lots of outdoor seating by the riverside in warm weather.

Zürich is my favorite city in Switzerlad. That is for culture, restauarants, and easy access tothe woods and hike on Uetliberg. Trams are terrific.

Scenery is not a special feature, which is why we send people first to Luzern…it has a bit of everything.

By the time that you return from Prague,you will already have experienced a lot of terrific Alpine scenery. So, it could be time to explore Zürich. You could spend the day just in Zürich. It would provide the shopping and eating experiences in a really nice city, with some “old town ” sections to walk in. The Zeughauskeller and zum Kropf are in part of the old town.

Rhine Falls-

Those who have beenon this forum for a while know that I am not a fan of the Rhine Falls.

Since you are from the US, you may have seen the US and especially the Canadion Niagara Falls.

Compared to them, the Rhine Falls are powerful, but not as hgh and notas as scenic, inmy opion. My attitude is tha I can see wateralls everywhere in the word, so I’d rather spend my time inSwitzerland seeing things that are more specially Swiss.

Just my opinion. I’d vist Stein am Rhein ( fullof tourists, syill nice) or St.Gall…but it is abit far away for your available time. Or, spend it in Zürich.

You’ll have enough to do. 😉

Slowpoke

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • The thread ‘Advice for 6 night Swiss itinerary from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.