Titlis, GEX, Rhine Fall, Pilatus in 5 nights

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2017 at 9:31:31 #812560

Hi,

My wife is having conference in Strasbourg in France so we would leave for Switzerland on 28th July that is friday and would reach Zurich or Interlaken whatever suits our itinerary

Can you suggest an itinery in which we can include Mount titlis, Glacier Express , Rhine Falls, Mount platus .

I am planning to stay in Lucerne and Interlaken.

Is there any other place i need to stay if i want to do glacier express . Also should i buy Swiss Travel Pass

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    8 July 2017 at 16:51:14 #866475

Welcome to MySwissAlps, puneetsnit!

Great that you get to explore Switzerland within a couple of weeks. Lucerne and Interlaken are good base towns for your visit, although most of the attractions on your list are closer to Lucerne. So you might spend your full 5 days there, rather than switching bases and checking in in a new hotel in Interlaken. The Glacier Express is pretty far off, but you could do part of the trip. Please refer to “Don’t have time to do the full route?” on our Glacier Express page for suggestions.

I recommend you start off with exploring the below pages. They all contain lots of information on how to plan for your trip. Check the “Route” tabs for example and use the excellent timetable to find out how to reach each destination.

Yes, a rail pass will help you save money. I suggest you look into a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass with regular tickets for your first or last day, or a Swiss Half Fare Card. Which pass is best, depends on your finalized travel scheme. Calculations should be made to find out for sure. Please see myswissalps.com/traint ickets/germany for your inbound trip from Strasbourg.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2017 at 22:26:46 #866476

Hi Annika ,

Thanks for the response. I have filtered my itinery after so much research (I dont know how practical is this)

1. 28th july will land in zurich at Evening and would do local sight seeing

2. 29th July Zurich to Interlaken OST in morning

Interlaken —> Speiz—> ZWEISIMMEN —-> Montreaux

Stay overnight in Montreaux ( Should i come back to interlaken on same day or should i stay . What can we do in Montreaux)

3. 30 July Montreaux—> Broc-Chocolate tour and then head to Lucern on same day

4. 31st July . Mount Platus Round trip and local sightseeing

5. 1st August : Mount Titlis tour from Lucern and at night around 11.30 PM we have bus to rome

I am holding a 4 days Swiss travel Pass . Is it a practical itinery?

please tell me is it worth taking chocolate train and also please tell me how to know which train is panaroma train . I get confused between IR AND IC train . Which train provides a better experience

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2017 at 22:37:43 #866477

Also please suggest whethere swiss travel pass or half price card would be better for above itinery

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 9:50:57 #866478

HI puneetnsit,

I think the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass would be best and most convenient for you on that itinerary.

July 29: You are planning on traveling from Zurich to Interlaken to Montreux in one day? Why are you traveling via Interlaken Ost?

If you want to take the Golden Pass panoramic train you can do so on your way from Montreux to Luzern on July 30. Have a look at what there is to do in Montreux here. The chocolate train is, I’ve heard, is a pretty cool experience, especially if you love chocolate! You can also take a regular train to Broc and visit the chocolate factory on your own to save some money.

Neither the IR or IC are panoramic trains. If you are searching specifically for the Golden Pass panoramic trains on the timetable, you want the MOB Panoramic (modern train) or MOB Belle Epoque (classic train).

You should try and reserve a seat on the Golden Pass line at least between Montreux and Zweisimmen as it gets quite busy in the summer months. You can make the reservation here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 10:02:01 #866479

Hi,

Actually we would be taking bus from Strasbourg france to Zurich on 28th July . So i dont want to waste my travel day on 28th july.

I was thinking of either going to luzerne from zurich and put our luggage in the locker at Lucerne station so that we dont have to carry much luggage.

Is there any better way to reach Montreaux from Zurich on 29th july

Also on 30th July , i was thinking to come from Montrueax to Lucern via Brig, Goppendein

Also can you tell that the experience of IR or IC train is also nearly equivalent to that of panoramic . Do we need to pay extra for panormic even if we have travel pass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 13:31:49 #866480

There is a train that takes about 2.5 hours with one change in Lausanne that is the quickest route from Zurich. Use the timetable link I gave in my last post to find different options.

Well the scenery is the same – it is just the smaller windows on the IR and IC trains that you have to use. You don’t need to pay anything extra on the Golden Pass panoramic trains (unless you reserve as I suggested). The other 3 panoramic trains do have an extra surcharge/reservation that must be paid on top of your Swiss Travel Pass.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 19:57:35 #866481

Hi ,

On 29th july I would be going from Lucern to Montreaux via Zweisimmen, Switzerland Which would cover my Golden Pass Route

On 30th July ,

I am thinking to take a train from Montreaux to Brig and then take Glacier express route i.e From Brig to Chur via Andermatt and then back to Lucerne

I am also attaching google maps snapshot for this round trip. Can you tell me is it a good idea or should i drop the idea of Glacier route

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 6:24:08 #866482

>> I am thinking to take a train from Montreaux to Brig and then take Glacier express route i.e From Brig to Chur via Andermatt and then back to Lucerne. I am also attaching google maps snapshot for this round trip. Can you tell me is it a good idea or should i drop the idea of Glacier route.

That’s feasible. It will take around 8.0 to 8.75 hours, about half of which will be on the beautiful Glacier Express route.

If you want to travel on the official Glacier Express train (rather than on normal trains along the same route), you will need to make a reservation very soon.

The 2nd class reservations are already sold out for the 10:18 departure from Brig, but there are still a few seats available in 1st class.

At the moment there are still 2nd class seats available on the 9:18 departure from Brig, but only 2 window seats.

The 11:18 departure from Brig still has 2 sets of 2 window seats facing each other available, and a few sets of a window and aisle seat together.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 18:23:51 #866483

Hi,

Actually to catch the train from brig we would have to leave Montreaux in the morning .

Instead i am thinking to go to Gruyeres village from Montruex and visit castle , cheese factory and meausem

From Gruyeres i will take train to visit Malson caller (Chocolate Factory Tour) . In the evening from there only i will go to Lucerene so that we dont have to come back to Montruex

Can you tell me should we take normal swiss train and go to Brig from Chocolate Factory to enjoy the route of Glacier Express (Although Glacier express is not available in evening)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 23:17:40 #866484

>> From Gruyeres i will take train to visit Malson caller (Chocolate Factory Tour) . In the evening from there only i will go to Lucerene so that we dont have to come back to Montruex. Can you tell me should we take normal swiss train and go to Brig from Chocolate Factory to enjoy the route of Glacier Express (Although Glacier express is not available in evening)

No, you can’t get to Luzern via the Glacier Express route if you don’t leave until the evening. As I mentioned in my previous post, the route you want to travel will take 8.0 to 8.75 hours. The last departure that will get you to Luzern the same day along the route you suggested leaves Montreux at 14:42 and gets you to Luzern at 23:25.

If you want to go from Broc to Luzern in the evening, you will need to take a different route. You can use the Swiss Timetable to see what your options are:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Titlis, GEX, Rhine Fall, Pilatus in 5 nights’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.