Klingenstock to Fronalpstock – Ridge hike at Stoos

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 0:34:53 #814376

Hello Experts!

Will the ridge hike from Stoos between Klingenstock and Fronalpstock be open in early May? (May 8) or is it at too high an altitude?

Thank you!

Lana

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 8:26:17 #876365

Hi Lana,

Unfortunately no, it is a bit too early (especially with the snowfall this winter) the season doesn’t typically start until mid-June: https://www.myswitzerl and.com/en-ch/panorama-hike-klingenstock-fronalpstock.html

If you are in the area anyway there may be other trails open to you lower down if you’re lucky but I wouldn’t count on it in early May. The Stoos website has good information about the area and hiking options.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 0:09:59 #876366

Thank you, Lucas. I’m bummed, that hike looks EPIC!

Stoos Tourism office advised that the Fronalpstock cable car is not running April 2 to May 25. Might you know if the Klingenstock cable car is open?

Also, will Morschach – Stoos cable car be open? I am hoping to take the steep funicular up to Stoos, and then head over to Morschach. I can’t seem to find any information on this on SBB or on Stoos website.

Thank you so much for your help!

Lana

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 February 2018 at 0:45:37 #876367

If you look up those cable car routes on the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) it will indicate if they are running or not on your preferred travel dates.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 3:09:47 #876368

Hi Lana,

>> Fronalpstock cable car … Klingenstock cable car

Just to clarify, those aren’t cable cars, but chairlifts.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 3:36:46 #876369

Thank you rockoyster for the guidance and alpenrose for the clarification.

To to follow up, sbb seems to be my best friend and worst enemy at the same time. I’ve been able to find many of my train and bus routes on the site, by when it comes a bit more off the beaten path I keep running into errors. Few questions:

How far out can you search sbb? If I’m looking at May, is it too far out to search actual dates? Should I be using the same day or week in an earlier month to get an idea of route?Or is this not reliable?

Also, do such chairlifts show on sbb? Or should I be looking at individual location websites?

Thank you for your help!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 February 2018 at 4:37:57 #876370

You should see both Klingenstock to Fronalpstock from Stoos in the SBB timetable up to an including 2 April

I can see Fronalpstock running after 25 May but not Klingenstock.

You should be able to search SBB timetable up to early December which is when the annual timetable update occurs.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 4:54:53 #876371

Wonderful, thank you rockoyster.

I am to presume that the error messages I’m running into are resulting from closures of transportation along the route I am searching. This makes sense.

Thanks again!

Lana

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 February 2018 at 4:58:24 #876372

That’s right Lana. If you see “unfortunately there was no route found” usually means that route is not operating at that time.

You may have already seen http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/fronalpstock-by-aircraft-across-lake-lucerne.html.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 5:37:50 #876373

Hi Lana,

>> I am to presume that the error messages I’m running into are resulting from closures of transportation along the route

One way of finding out the operational dates from the SBB timetable is to do a search for a time when you are pretty sure it will be operating. Mid-July on a Saturday is usually a pretty safe bet for anything that is likely to be running in the summer. Alternatively, a Saturday at the end of January is a good bet for transport that only operates in the winter.

• First of all, make sure you have the correct “from” and “to” stations (Screenshot 1), as that can sometimes be a bit tricky.
    • Pick a time of day that is not too early and not too late e.g. 10 am
    • Run the search and click on one of the search results from the list (Screenshot 2)
    • When it opens, click on the plus sign (Screenshot 3)
    • Then click on “Show journey information” (Screenshot 4)
    • You will then have details about times of the year it is operating (Screenshot 5)

The details displayed only apply to the specific departure time you searched for, but as long as it is not too early or late in the day, it would usually be more generally applicable.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 6:50:47 #876374

Thank you Rockoyster, yes I have seen this and had my fingers and toes crossed that the ridge hike would be accessible. The views from Fronalpstock look incredible. Looks like there are quite a few options from Stoos with beautiful views though which will have to suffice. Perhaps we’ll hike over to Morschach.

Alpenrose, this is extremely helpful. One of those ‘hacks’ to the system that you would never know unless told by an expert 🙂 invaluable information, I really appreciate you taking the time.

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    17 February 2018 at 16:00:35 #876375

A hiking website that reviewed the stoos ridge hike said that every time this person went up (always on sunny Saturdays in summer) the klinginstock chair lift was closed. Maybe just operates in winter.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 22:50:04 #876376

Hi Debra,

I saw that too! I can’t catch a break here 🙂

Lana

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    17 February 2018 at 23:40:57 #876377

But apparently you can hike the ridge trail and then take a trail back down to stoos before you get to the chair lift if it is closed. I’m planning on this hike in august!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 0:10:35 #876378

>> Maybe just operates in winter.

Apparently the chairlift from Stoos to Klingenstock is highly weather dependent in summer.

This is my understanding of the operational arrangements, based on the official timetable at the following site:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ en/search-for.html

From what I can gather, because operational status in summer is so weather-dependent, the SBB online timetable only shows it as operating during the main season (winter).

• 16 Dec 2017 – 2 Apr 2018: operating daily
    • 3 Apr – 8 Jun 2018: closed for maintenance
    • 9 Jun – 29 Jun 2018: operates on weekends and public holidays in nice weather
    • 30 Jun – 21 Oct 2018: operates daily in nice weather
    • 22 Oct – 28 Oct 2018: operates on weekends and public holidays in nice weather
    • 29 Oct – 14 Dec 2018: closed for maintenance

So that makes it very hard to plan ahead, but you can check operational status on the day on the following site:

stoos-muotatal.ch/betriebsin formationen/

I expect those green lines turn to red when the lift is not operating.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Klingenstock to Fronalpstock – Ridge hike at Stoos’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.