Rigi hike, last train Kräbel – Arth Goldau space?

• cc123
    Participant
    58 posts
    17 May 2019 at 20:41:47 #821698

On 31 July 2019, the last train from Kräbel to arth goldau is at 1935

i plan to hike the modified rigi panorama route starting at rigi Kulm at 1515 as provided by the website below, which is about 3 hours.

swissfamilyfun.com/rig i-panoramaweg/

if I reach Rigi Scheidegg at 1815, i can board the 1825 cable car to Kräbel. If not, I will need to board the last cable car at 1925 followed by last train from Kräbel to arth goldau at 1935.

Can I assume that the last cable car and train mentioned above will definitely have space for all passengers to board?

Because if I’m not able to board due to a full cable car / train, that will be a disaster as my accommodation is in luzern.

thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2019 at 0:28:26 #912619

Most day trippers will be long gone from the Rigi by the time of the last services you mention, so I suspect there will be plenty of space. However, personally I would never schedule myself to require the last timetabled descent from a mountain top location.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2019 at 0:38:15 #912620

Further thoughts:

I have the last cable car as 19.40 not 19.25

Kräbel is only 1 hours wall to Arth Goldau station

cc123
    Participant
    58 posts
    18 May 2019 at 6:50:07 #912621

I have the last cable car as 19.40 not 19.25 -> SBB showed that the last cable car from rigi scheidegg – kraebel is at 1925?

However, personally I would never schedule myself to require the last timetabled descent from a mountain top location. -> why not? I will reach kraebel around 1815 at best, 1915 latest. Still time for the last descent + there are still trains running to luzern at 8pm

btw do you know how long is the hike from rigi kulm to rigi koesterli if I only hike the Rigi Kulm – Chäserenholz – Rigi Klösterli section? the route is called “A Tour to Valley and Summit – Mt. Rigi Section” in case you can open the link

http://www.rigi.ch/en/Experie nce-Enjoy/Summer/Tourfinde r#cat=Hiking-main&filter=r-fullyTranslatedLangus-5381,sb-sortedBy-0&ipd=14056173

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 May 2019 at 7:18:16 #912622

Last cable car from Rigi Scheidegg – Kräbel is 19:40 until 8 June and 19:25 thereafter.

cc123
    Participant
    58 posts
    18 May 2019 at 7:42:37 #912623

oh I’ll be there on 31 july

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 May 2019 at 21:16:58 #912624

Hi cc123-

I see that you did use the SBB timetable on your specific dates for that kind of mountain transport. That is the best approach to be sure. You are wise to be careful about the timing of the last trip.

1960man had a good suggestion:

<<“Kräbel is only 1 hours wall to Arth Goldau station”>>

It is an easy walk, modestly downhill.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=7&E=26 82785.13&N=1210481.82

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2019 at 23:45:39 #912625

Hi CC123

I was in Rigi http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi a couple of months ago and there was space during the day on all cable cars so at that time I doubt that there wouldn’t be space for you as they always aim to get people off the mountain and close down the service.

However the suggestion to walk down is a good one!

Maria.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 May 2019 at 0:22:16 #912626

Hi Maria –

<<“I was in Rigi http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi a couple of months ago and there was space during the day on all cable cars “>>

I do not disagree with you, but, did you check the smaller cars in service from Rigi Scheidegg? It seems to be a Gondelbahn.

http://www.rigi.ch/en/Informa tion/Mountain-railways/Rigi-Bahnen/Timetables-Rigi-Bahnen

Perhaps you misinterpreted the comments, or I misinterpreted yours….

<<“However the suggestion to walk down is a good one!”>>

The walk all the way down has approximately 1100 meters of descent.

http://www.rigi.ch/en/Informa tion/Mountain-railways/Rigi-Bahnen/Timetables-Rigi-Bahne

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=7&E=26 82412.50&N=1210015.00

Would you offer that to a novice?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2019 at 0:30:09 #912627

Hi Slowpoke

I meant the suggestion to walk down from Krabel assuming he makes the cable car 🙂

It’s up to CC123 thought to see how much risk he wants to take with making it to the last cable car. I haven’t done that myself so cannot advise 🙂

Maria.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 May 2019 at 0:32:43 #912628

Would you offer that to a novice“?

Or a self-declared couch potato? 😉

cc123
    Participant
    58 posts
    19 May 2019 at 8:40:40 #912629

1) Maria i just read this

swissfamilyfun.com/rig i-panoramaweg/

“Keep walking to reach the Rigi Scheidegg cable car. The cable car only carries about 10 people, so on busy days, you might need to wait in line a bit. The cable car drops you off in Kräbel where you’ll need to catch the cogwheel train back to Goldau”

2) In SBB, this is shown for the train from kraebel to arth-goldau: Kräbel – Stop on request. Do I need to stop the train with a hand signal or whatever? Or will the train stop at Kraebel by default and i can just board it?

i guess i never know until i actually hike in jungfrau and see how tough is tough for the couch potato 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 May 2019 at 11:39:49 #912630

Hi CC123

Here are a couple of comments about the walk.

I last took it in 2002 on a hazy day. Images are on film, and I did not have time to dig them out and scan them.

Two were already digitized and are attached.

One is the nice view toward Bürgenstock, through the clouds. Yes, it can be cloudy. ;-(

The other is a close up of the wheel on an old caboose standing beside the trail on some short sections of rail. It may well still be there. “RSB” stands for Rigi-Scheidegg Bahn. I think it was used as a clubhouse for alumni of the RSB.

You will be walking on an old railroad roadbed, of the RSB, which is naturally rather level,

It branches off from the rail line and its parallel downhill trail between Rigi Staffel station and Rigi Staffelhöhe Station, and goes on a level path toward First. That is shown with blue dots at numbers 1 and 2 marked on the map, attached. At #2, which points to First, several trails come together. One of them, shown with yellow dots ( #3) is the fairly level roadbed of the abandoned branch line to Rigi-Kaltbad. Another, blue dots, continues along the roadbed to Rigi-Scheidegg. Part of the trail is cut off on my marked up map. You may see the whole map in the link that I provided above.

On that section, between First and Rigi-Scheidegg, is where I took those pictures. There is a short stretch of rail tunnel along the way, too.

#4, the magenta line, shows the almost level easy trail from Station Wolfertschen-First to the trail junctions at First.

Although it is likely that the cograil train will stop at Kräbel, if you wish to make sure, you will request a “Halt on Demand” (Halt an Verlangen). Somewhere in the train car there will be a labelled button to push to set the stop. At the station itself, a similar button will be there. Waving at the train does not cause it to stop. You have to send the signal.

Hope that helps,

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Rigi hike, last train Kräbel – Arth Goldau space?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.