Laundromat and grocery in Luzern

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2018 at 6:47:11 #876154

Hi Yosephra,

im Living Here and am looking for a laundromat too. It seems that there is none in the region of Luzern. I looked up the ones that came up in the search – they are cleaners, about CHF 2.50 per shirt & 3.- for a towel!

As far as I have found there is two laundromats in Bern, one in Interlaken and two or three in Zürich. One is supposed to be at sihlfeldstrasse 88, Zürich .

You are welcome to correct me if I’m wrong.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 February 2018 at 9:33:26 #876155

Hi Swede –

Welcome to my Swiss Alps. Laundromats in Switzerland are as scarce as hen’s teeth, to use a phrase common in the USA.

<<“It seems that there is none in the region of Luzern. I looked up the ones that came up in the search – they are cleaners, about CHF 2.50 per shirt & 3.- for a towel!

As far as I have found there is two laundromats in Bern, one in Interlaken and two or three in Zürich. One is supposed to be at sihlfeldstrasse 88, Zürich .”>>

You are right about the scarcity. I have travelled in Switzerland since 1980, and it has always been difficult to find a laundromat. There was for some time at least one in Geneva, in Pâquis.

I have used the one in Zürich, and the one in Interlaken was mobbed by backpackers and travelers when we used it.

A search with Google for “Wäscherei mit Selbstbedienung in Switzerland” doesn’t provide much help, although there might be one in Bern. The results deserve a more careful look than I gave them. i might have missed something. Years ago, there was one in Bern Hauptbahhof, famous among backpackers. No more.

The standard explanation for the scarcity is that everyone has a wash machine in their apartment house. That was the case once when my family and I stayed at the Swiss Holiday Park in Morschach.

I’ve seen one at the Campground Aaregg, Seestrasse, Brienz. See attached. Travel guidebooks that I read years ago suggested looking at campgrounds. There is a link for campground.ch on the screen grab that I have attached

So, one answer is to move to an apartment house with a self-service laundry for the residents. 😉

Or, find a friend or friends who have access to one, and be nice to them. 😉

Another is to go camping. 😉

To be serious, since none of those options may be practical, another option is to adjust your process to match that of Jetwasch. Since Jetwasch in Luzern does good work, a solution is to accumulate a large load of dirty clothes for their washing. They have charged me by the machine load, not the item, when I have used their service. By careful research while taking good notes, you can gradually increase the size of the load until it just equals one very machine load.

In short, buy more clothes, support the local economy, and take Jetwasch a large bundle once in a while. 😉

For me, as a traveler in or near Luzern, Jetwasch is a lifesaver. I don’t have to use time better spent sightseeing to watch a wash machine. Drop off in the AM , pick up in the PM . Cost is high per item, because I don’t have a full load, but it beats hotel prices by a large margin.And, I’ll trade off cost for convenience in my circumstances.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2018 at 11:13:19 #876156

Thank You slowpoke!

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The thread ‘Laundromat and grocery in Luzern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.