Location of Swiss revolving restaurant confusion

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 2:19:27 #811497

I’m a little confused…I’ve read conflicting information about where in Switzerland the only revolving restaurant is, one is Schilthorn and the other Mount Stanserhorn. Can you please advise which mount it’s on? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 10:33:58 #861946

Hello and welcome to MySwissAlps,

There is more than one revolving restaurant in Switzerland, including both the Stanserhorn and Schilthorn. Others are at Mittelallalin above Saas-Fee and at Hoher Kasten in the Appenzell area.

Schilthorn (also known as Piz Gloria, due to being called that in the James Bond film)

http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/drehrestaurant-piz-gloria-revolving-restaurant-2970m.html

Rondorama, Stanserhorn

http://www.myswissalps.com/st anserhorn

http://www.stanserhorn.ch/en/ restaurant/revolving_r estaurant_rondorama/

Mittelallalin

http://www.myswissalps.com/mi ttelallalin

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/drehrestaurant-allalin.html

Hoher Kasten

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/hoher-kasten-revolving-restaurant.html

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 21:54:02 #861947

Thanks that’s helpful. Having the restaurant described as ‘the only revolving restaurant ‘ was what was confusing but that’s obviously incorrect. Which one do you think is the best? Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 1:44:58 #861948

>> Which one do you think is the best?

I have only been to the revolving restaurants on the Schilthorn and Mittelallalin, so I can’t compare them all.

The views from the Schilthorn and Mittelallalin restaurants are equally stunning, but different.

Mittelallalin, at an altitude of 3,500 metres above sea level, is the highest revolving restaurant in the world. The revolving restaurant on the Schilthorn is at a lower altitude (2,970 metres above sea level).

However, whilst the Schilthorn restaurant is perched on a peak, looking down on all the surrounding mountains, the Mittelallalin restaurant is nestled within the surrounding peaks on one side, with views across to other peaks on the other side. So although Mittelallalin is at a higher altitude, there are not the wide-ranging views from there that you see from the Schilthorn. At Mittelallalin you are closer to the surrounding mountain tops, and are within the surrounding landscape rather than being perched on top of it. I liked it very much.

The means of transport to each is also different, with the cable car trip to the Schilthorn being more dramatic than the trip to Mittelallalin by gondola and underground funicular.

I have previously posted photos from the Schilthorn, which you can see on the following page if you scroll down to my post of 1 March 2017, 10:23pm.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/itinerary-questions

Below, I have attached some photos taken at Mittelallalin in September 2016.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 1:47:06 #861949

Photos taken on the way up to Mittelallalin from Saas-Fee.

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 April 2017 at 12:19:35 #861950

Wonderful images, thanks Alpenrose!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 14:06:38 #861951

Hi Alpenrose

Mittelallalin has been on my wish list for last few years but we haven’t made it yet though we have paid brief visit to Saas-Fee. Your beautiful photos have reinforced my wish to accomplish the trip – hopefully we can finally fit it in this year. We always aim to visit “new” destinations each year as well as our favourites so Mittelallalin has jumped to the top of my list again! Will check whether I still have route details in my files! Will need to factor in the extra short trip between Uetendorf and Thun to the total time needed but should still be feasible. We don’t mind long trips as long as they still allow sufficient time to enjoy destination.

Thanks as ever

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 21:55:19 #861952

Thank you, those photos are gorgeous!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 6:59:37 #861953

Hi Arno and vjpate,

I was lucky to get those photos with a beautiful blue sky!

I was in Saas-Fee for a week. On my first day, all the cable cars were shut down due to poor weather, and it was not until day 5 that Mittelallalin was out of the clouds for long enough to be sure a visit would be worthwhile!

That lovely blue sky with wispy clouds was well worth the wait! However, even during the time I spent up there, we were in “whiteout” several times. The clouds were moving quite fast though, so the whiteouts only lasted for a few minutes at a time before the beautiful clear views were restored.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 7:07:13 #861954

Hi Maggie,

Saas-Fee, with its local mountains and neighbouring villages, is certainly a great destination. I loved it, despite the mostly cold, wet and cloudy weather they turned on for me! Actually, the gloomy weather made the masses of bright flowers throughout the village really take centre stage!

I also got to see some marmots there, on the Hannigalp above Saas-Fee: the first (and only) time I have seen them in the wild. A very special experience! (Photos taken from the Hannigalp and of the marmots attached).

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 22:09:18 #861955

We have 10 days in Switzerland and want to maximise the time so don’t want to spend our time packing and unpacking suitcases. Would you recommend staying in Interlakenhoheweg or Lucurne as a. Add to see the main sights in that region? Also, would you include Montreaux, i.e. is it worth spending a couple of nights there? Thanks as always for your help.

Annika
    7104 posts
    27 April 2017 at 10:12:30 #861956

Hi vjpate,

You’d best base your choice for base towns on the attractions and day trips you’re most interested in. For most visitors, Interlaken and Lucerne are great base towns. Both areas offer lots of day trip options and beautiful scenery. Montreux can certainly be worth it, depending on what you want to experience, but for a 10 day stay I’d say Interlaken and Lucerne are sufficient. Please compare through the pages below, and especially pay attention to the “Activities” tabs:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 2:55:06 #861957

Thanks, so would you stay in both areas eg three nights in each town and explore around both areas or could you stay in one town only and visit the other sights by way of day trips? Or would the sights be too far away to see in a day trip. I hope that makes sense!! Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 6:20:19 #861958

I think it is better to stay in at least 2 base towns for you. This way to don’t spend too long on the trains each day visiting some attractions. IE Luzern to Jungfraujoch is about 4 hours each way, but only 2 from Interlaken.

You can search how long the trains take to and from your destinations on the timetable page here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 1:43:09 #861959

Great thanks. Can I ask what may seem a stupid question, but if you were to allocate one day to see the Jungfrau region (as per the itinerary on the website), would you then also need to allocate another day to visit Jungfraujoch?

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 7:57:47 #861960

Hi vjpate,

Yes, I would allocate most of a day for Jungfraujoch, depending on when you leave in the morning though you could certainly add an activity nearby for later in the afternoon if you choose – anything specific you are thinking of doing?

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 11:05:33 #861961

Thank you. So is that one day for Jungfraujoch and another day for the Jungfrau region? Thanks.

Annika
    7104 posts
    30 April 2017 at 19:31:43 #861962

Hi vjpate,

As Lucas mentioned you could still do an activity after your Jungfraujoch visit. Please see the list of options at myswissalps.com/jungfr auregion/activities and use the timetable at myswissalps.com/timeta ble to find out what’s doable. But indeed, if you want to explore the region more thoroughly an extra day would be great.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 3:09:30 #861963

Thank you. We’re thinking of spending four nights in Interlaken, then four nights in Lucerne then two nights in Zurich. For our stay in Lucerne, we’ve read that there’s lots of good walking excursions but of course we have to be selective given our limited time. One option is to do what someone recommended and take the boat from Weggis to Vitznau then get the train to the top of Mt Rigi and spend a few hours on their trails, then take the cable car back down to Weggis. Another option which I’ve read is also fantastic is to walk the “Four Lakes Walk”. If we had to choose one of these, would you recommend one over the other? Or indeed another mountain view/walk altogether? Thanks for your advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 9:56:27 #861964

If you want to do the entire '4 lakes' hike it will take some time (5 to 6 hours). You can also look at the Engelberg to the Trüebsee walk is is easier/shorter if you prefer this.

Both options are great – up to you if you want a little hike, a longer hike or the boat/cogwheel train trip to Rigi.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Location of Swiss revolving restaurant confusion’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.