Looking for hike combined with Jungfraujoch train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 1:47:57 #811261

We only have one free day in Lauterbrunnen (staying in Lauterbrunnen or Wengen) and would like to take the Jungfraujoch train but would also like to experience an easy hike in the Alps. Someone suggested taking the early train to Jungfraujoch and then hike from Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen on the way down. But many hikers say we will be walking with our backs to the view and suggested instead to walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. This means we won’t get to Jungfraujoch till mid-afternoon and we are concerned we might not get on the train at Kleine Scheidegg.

Are there other similar hiking options in the area that we can do after the train ride to Junfraujoch?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 7:11:29 #860927

Hi Rarecat,

I don’t have personal experience in that area for hikes, but I can list our suggestions for hiking around Lauterbrunnen and hiking around Wengen for you to have a read through.

Please note that the hike from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is fairly easy and only about 1.5 hours in length.

Lucas

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    3 April 2017 at 7:28:00 #860928

Hi.

If you start from Wengen and take the early cable car to Männlichen, you should be able to walk to Kleine Scheidegg (It’s downhill in that direction) andhave enough time to do the Jungfraujoch, or, go up to the Jungfraujoch first, then walk from Kleine Scheidegg back to Wengen, which will give you a good view of the Lauterbrunnen valley.

Cheers

Alan

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 April 2017 at 12:14:57 #860929

Hi Rarecat-

<<“But many hikers say we will be walking with our backs to the view and suggested instead to walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. This means we won’t get to Jungfraujoch till mid-afternoon and we are concerned we might not get on the train at Kleine Scheidegg.”>>

Those hikers are correct. The hike is made memorable by the way that

the Eiger grows over steadily and continuously you as you gradually approach it.

The attached two (rather old) images will give you an idea of how small the hikers are , compared to the surroundings and the Eiger.

It is easy enough that it has the nickname “The Grannies’ Trail.”

When? The M->KS trail will not be open until mid-June.

On a typical day in July, the earliest trip to Männlichen from Lauterbrunnen will get you up there at 0816 (depart LB at 0737).

19 minutes layover at Wengen allows time to buy a croissant. Or, eat up top. Walk to KS….allow 2 hours for photography and admiring the scenery. Arrive at KS before 11 AM.

Even on a busy day, that will get you up to JfJ in the early afternoon. Arno or Annika may have a more precise idea of wait times for KS-JFJ, but I recall that they only get really busy (with significant waits) on nice weekends, especially in August.

Slowpoke

You can buy a ticket for the Jungfraujoch the day before

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 13:50:02 #860930

Thanks very much everyone for your suggestions. They are very helpful.

Lucas, your alternatives are very doable, much appreciated.

Alan thanks for the encouragement.

Slowpoke, special thanks for your detailed response. Especially appreciate the pictures – definitely give us a better idea of the trail. May I ask what time of year were the pictures taken? I was hoping to see green hillsides and spring flowers in early July. And you even answered my unspoken question – when to get tickets for the Jungfraujoch train. The website suggested we don’t get it unless we know the weather or get a flex ticket. Unfortunately that is not an option for us as we are there only one day. So your suggestion to get the ticket the day before is an excellent one.

I’m hoping to hear from Arno or Annika about wait times for KS-JF in the early afternoon as we want to make sure we make it to the top. We will be there on Tuesday, July 4, so hopefully it will be doable.

Thanks again.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 April 2017 at 14:16:29 #860931

Hi Rarecat,

<<“May I ask what time of year were the pictures taken?”>>

You may. Different times, mostly September/October.

The wild flowers are at their best in mid to late June, but, at that altitude, there well may be quite a lot in July. Cows graze those meadows…..

A Tuesday in earlty July should be safe for catching a train with little wait.

There are links to Jungfrau information in this forum, such as:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/tickets

Here are a few more pictures.

The one from Wengen was probably taken in late June. It took about 4 trips and a few days in Wengen each time to get one that clear all the way back into the valley. It is rare to have no haze; Fall is the best season for clear weather.

Good luck with the weather when you are there. Please check with the train station or tourist offices….the weather in the valley, at Wengen, and at Kleine Scheidegg, and at Jungfraujoch can all be different. The weather comes in layers. Altitude is everything.

Slowpoke

(The Hotel Eiger in Wengen is now an apartment building…very close to the train station. The restaurant on the ground floor is excellent, and open to all.)

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 14:38:37 #860932

Beautiful pictures! Thanks very much for posting. I’m very much looking forward to the views! It looks like the views looking down the valley are just as good so maybe the hike going from KS to Mannlichen is not so bad afterall – since weve already seen plenty of the mountains going up on the train. We’ll see how it goes – the weather ia the main factor then. Appreciate your help!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 April 2017 at 14:52:11 #860933

<<“so maybe the hike going from KS to Mannlichen is not so bad afterall – since weve already seen plenty of the mountains going up on the train.”>>

A vehement “not so!” from this frequent visitor to the area. The walk – in the slightly downhill direction towards Kleine Scheidegg – is always listed in the “Top Ten” no matter who writes the list. I rarely follow Rick Steve’s advice, but he even says to take it from M to KS, and rates it very highly. Many of the other fist rate ones are much harder to access. As they used to say in Quality Training where I worked – “Do it right the first time.”

And, if you walk down to Wengen from KS, and are not in shape for downhill walking, your knees will be very sore by the time you get half way down. And, the trail is far enough back from the edge that you don’t really see down into the valley. We did it once on a nice day, and never went back. I/we. or we and ur guests have done the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk 10’s of times. if you do it in the wron direction, it is mildly uphill….noticeable at 2000 meters, and you get a sore neck from constantly turning around to look. And, you just don’t feel the Eiger growing up and towering over you.

In cased you hadn’t noticed, I feel quite strongly about this point 😉 The moderators feel that it is perfectly OK to walk it towards Männlichen. Sure…it’s a pleasant walk. But, it is not the same.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 15:45:33 #860934

Hi Sliwpoke,

i appreciate very much your passionate defence of the M to KS hike. I will definitely follow your advice, knowing the conviction behind it. Much appreciated!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 8:14:05 #860935

Indeed, the very best why to walk is from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. (We walk it more than ten times in the last 40 years…)

You can also walk Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp (small railwaystation between Kleine Scheidegg and Wengen). This is better than Wengernalp to Wengen, you walk there into the woods.

In early July there are no watingtimes for trains to/from Kleine Scheidegg, or to Jungfraujoch.

On Jungfraujoch a nice walk in the snow is from Jungfraujoch to Mönchjochhutte ( http://www.moenchsjoch.ch/de )

Last tip: go only to Jungfraujoch when it is nice weather and blue sky………

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 12:17:49 #860936

Hi there,

Im going to Interlaken early next week and I was planning to do the trip to Jungfraujoch and the walk between Männlichen and Kleine Scheidegg but I have read above that the cable car and trains do not operate until June/July, is it correct?

Is there other alternative? Could you please recommend another hiking routes? I will go by car and I would like to spend a day or two in those mountains.

Regards,

César

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 12:38:49 #860937

Also Welcom,

Wengen to Mannlichen is again open from 20 May 2017

Trains to Wengen and Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfraujoch and Grindelwald are running always.

It is now end of winter season in Switserland, the most tourists are gone. But there is al lot of old snow in the mountains so it is difficult to walk on higher level.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 13:07:30 #860938

Hi César,

Yes, unfortunately, the cable car Grindelwald-Männlichen and the aerial cableway Wengen-Männlichen are closed due to maintenance until 25th and 20th of May.

Here is a list of hiking options around the Interlaken area. Unfortunately many alpine hikes are not possible at this time of year due to maintenance of the lifts and if they are accessible there can still be a lot of snow remaining

You can still visit attractions like the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn if that interests you?

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 13:25:55 #860939

Thanks very much for your reassurance, Brahms.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 14:18:55 #860940

Hi Lucas,

Many thanks for your prompt answer. I have checked the link to hiking routes and it is very helpful. Can i assume that in all those routes there are relevant sings that show the path to follow? So that sings are enough and I dont need paper maps

Is there a place where I can check if the trails are open? Probably I will visit/call the toursit office in some cities, I hope they know

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 April 2017 at 15:36:19 #860941

Hi Cesar-

<<“Can i assume that in all those routes there are relevant sings that show the path to follow? So that sings are enough and I dont need paper maps.”>>

This may reassure you:

http://www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/

Is there a place where I can check if the trails are open? Probably I will visit/ca<<“ll the toursit office in some cities, I hope they know”>>

There is a good one at Interl;aken, and others throughout the country, particulalrly in major cites, know how to get the information.

In some towns ( I have seen this in Wengen) there is a sign board posted near the rail station listing trails and conditions.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2017 at 8:43:58 #860942

Thank you very much Slowpoke for your input. Now I have everything I need 🙂

Regards

• The thread ‘Looking for hike combined with Jungfraujoch train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.