Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen via Interlarken-stations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2016 at 21:45:44 #808312

Hi there, so far you have been so so helpful with our trip planning in making some important decisions. I’m hoping you can give me a straight clear cut answer here as I’ve been looking at train timetables & I’m quite confused. We are needing to travel from Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen on mon 25th April 16 departing approx. 9am-10.30am ish .

1) I’m interested in the Golden Pass Line with Panoramic carriages if possible.. Can you please tell me if this is avail on this day around this timeframe or close to just after the time, and if so, what time does it depart

2) which stations does the Golden Pass Line depart from in Lucerne & arrives in at Interlarken ( as it asked in the search engines & I have no idea which to select)

3) is the connection to Lauterbrunnen, at Interlarken, at the same train station or do we have to make our way to a different station for this leg?

4) is this the same train..’Golden Pass Line’ as ‘Lucerne to Interlarken Express’ or a different train altogether? If different which should we go for? And when I looked at the timetable I could see the symbols for different things like food, panarama in the key but wasn’t sure where it should appear.

5) if there’s an easier option to get from Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen with no panarama windows & easier connections on the day & in the rough timeframe required can you please spell that out for me so I know what I’m searching for.

Thank you so so much. I’m just finding these timetables a bit confusing when I don’t know the towns & their railway stations & where they are located.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 January 2016 at 23:34:31 #847915

Hi Travellyn –

I’ll make a start on answers, but will have to break for dinner in few minutes. Then, more later. I’ll plan to include a screen grab from the timetables.

For better understanding, you should look at a map in conjunction with the timetables. The following map, when zoomed in, and with Traffic/railway(only) checked on the menus for “points of Interest” will give you a clear picture of the railways station locations. If you click on the icon for the railway station, you will get an abbreviated timetable for arrivals and departures at the station.

This link shows Interlaken Ost, which is one of two stations in Interlaken, and the only one you need to pay attention to.

map.search.ch/?z=128&x=-29392m&y=-19124m&poi=zug

IWest is at the lower right on tne linked map. You will pass through it.

Interlaken Ost (IO) is where you will transfer to the train for Lauterbrunnen.

<<“On 25th April 16 departing approx. 9am-10.30am ish . 1) I’m interested in the Golden Pass Line with Panoramic carriages if possible.. Can you please tell me if this is avail on this day around this time frame or close to just after the time, and if so, what time does it depart”>>

There are trains at xx05 taking 1 hr 50 minutes to IO.

If I expand an entry in the timetable, I see that the Luzern-Interlaken Express makes the journey via Meiringen, which is what you seek. It seems that the trains on that leg are no longer called Golden Pass trains.

I have not figured out panoramic windows at this moment, but the trip is scenic even in regular cars. Sit on the right..

There is only one station in Luzern to worry about. Luzern HB or “main station.” Inthe timetable it is Luzern or Lucern or Lucerne.

Here is a station map, which you will not need.

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /infrastruktur/trafima ge/bahnhofplaene/plan-luzern-a4.pdf#?lang=en

More later.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 January 2016 at 0:22:38 #847916

Hi Lynne-

Here is a bit more.

<<“4) if there’s an easier option to get from Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen withno panarama windows & easier connections on the day & in the rough timeframe required can you please spell that out for me so I know what I’m searching for.”>>

There is an alternate main line connection via Bern and apparently via Olten, with one or two changes. It takes about a half hour longer, and, although quite nice, is not as scenic as the route through the Brunig Pass and Meiringen. It is certainly not easier. It leaves at XX05 and xx30. Note that if you miss an xx05 via Meiringen, the xx30 via Bern will get you there at about the same time at about the same time as the next train via Meiringen.

I’d take the route through Meiringen. (The Luzern-Interlaken Express)

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 January 2016 at 0:31:07 #847917

<<“3) is the connection to Lauterbrunnen, at Interlarken, at the same trainstation or do we have to make our way to a different station for this leg?”>>

More.

It is Interlaken (between the lakes.)

The station at which you change to go Lauterbrunnen is Interlaken Ost. (IO.)

IO does not have many tracks, but it used to have rather narrow stairs, no elevators, and thus a bit of a crowd rushing to make th etransfer. Hope you do not run into that. If you do, pertend you are in rugger scrum. ;-(

The timetable tells you which track you come in on, and which track you depart on.

Here is map of IO station..

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /infrastruktur/trafima ge/bahnhofplaene/plan-interlaken-ost-a4.pdf#?lang=en

Screen grabs of schedules will have to wait until tomorrow.

Please let us know if you do not follow my explanations.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15481 posts
    23 January 2016 at 7:07:16 #847918

Hi Travellyn,

I think Slowpoke explained about everything you need to know. In addition you can find details and a (zoomable) map on the Golden Pass page, and a map with all Swiss stations here.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 January 2016 at 10:25:53 #847919

Hi Lynn –

Here are a couple of screen grabs from the timetable for 25.04.16, Luzern to Lauterbrunnen.

Please use them in conjunction with the text posts above.

<<“I’m hoping you can give me a straight clear cut answer here “>>

Sorry I could not explain it in only a few words, but, once you have seen how the timetable works, it should become simple in the future. 😉 Explaining graphical interfaces with text is always cumbersome. ;-(

I find that the map available for the journey on the timetable can be useful, but usually work in conjunction with Mapsearch.CH when I am exploring routes. If the Points of Interest Menu in that map is selected, and ONLY the “Railroad” box is ticked, you get a very useful map at various zoom sizes.

map.search.ch/

Screen Grabs –

1.- One “Overview” shows the first screen returned after you query with stations and date and time. It includes an explanation of the hieroglyphics on the next screen. Trains run once per hour. Apparently, that segment of the Golden Pass route (Luzern<->Interlaken) has been renamed the “Luzern Interlaken Express.

You can see the change of trains with a 10 minute connection at Interlaken Ost.

2.- The next screen “Itinerary for 0905” shows what you get after you click on the “+” sign in the circle to the left of the particular journey on the Overview screen, and then click on “Show intermediate stops”. In this case the 0905 was chosen for expansion.

Next question? 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2016 at 8:37:32 #847920

Hi slowpoke, sorry it’s taken so long for me to acknowledge your wonderfully detailed answer. Thankyou so much it’s really helped to work it all out so really appreciate it.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 January 2016 at 9:13:40 #847921

<<“Hi slowpoke, sorry it’s taken so long for me to acknowledge your wonderfully detailed answer. Thankyou so much it’s really helped to workit all out so really appreciate it.”>>

Hi Travellyn Glad to hear it.

Once you get the hang of it, using the timetable really helps in planning and choosing options. It does take a little while to get the hang of it, but it is organized pretty well.

I do not use a smartphone, but, I have the impression that the version of the timetable that you can access by smartphone , though useful while you are traveling, might possibly have less detail available than what you can get on a desktop or laptop. Not sure, just guessing from what others have said.

Have a great trip.

Slowpoke.

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen via Interlarken-stations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.