Lucerne to Zermatt and return in one day?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 13:09:22 #816350

I am staying in Lucerne. Is it possible to make a one day trip to zermatt and return the same day? Would there be enough time to take the cable car to Matterhorn during the trip? I really don’t want to miss Zermatt! I would welcome any other suggestions if Zermatt trip was not possible!

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 14:20:18 #886927

Hi Samo,

It would be fine, you’ll just have a long day (3 hours each way). https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

You can then take a cable car up to either Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise for views of the Matterhorn (there is no way to go up the Matterhorn itself).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2018 at 0:03:25 #886928

The Gornergrat is a rack (US English = cogwheel) railway not a cable car, Klein Matterhorn is a cable car.

Because Klein Matterhorn goes from a base station at the opposite end of the village from the main railway station, Gornergrat is the easier place to go to on a long day trip from Luzern.

Here’s what the view of the Matterhorn looks like from the Gornergrat summit:

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Zermatt and return in one day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.