Luggage transfer – Grindelwald to Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 22:42:28 #816567

Is it possible to send luggage ahead to my next destination and not accompany it on the train?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 23:02:46 #887974

So no option to send same day? We hoped to check out of hotel early take bags to station in Grindelwald and hike to Wengen to pick up at end of day

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 June 2018 at 0:38:09 #887975

<<“So no option to send same day? We hoped to check out of hotel early take bags to station in Grindelwald and hike to Wengen to pick up at end of day”>>

Take it over on the train or cable car, then do the hike (in either direction) and return to Wengen at the end of the hike. Times and distances would work, and there are various options for your personal time, as well. Watch out for cableways that stop running in the late afternoon.

Or, ask your hotel to find a taxi and pay them… a lot…to take it over for you.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 0:43:04 #887976

Do you mean that we should return after the hike to Grindelwald?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 June 2018 at 0:49:56 #887977

Look at a map and study the timetable. You can do it in any order, if your only plan for the day is the stated hike. There are several ways to get back and forth between those two towns.

map.search.ch/?pos=641800,163136&z=32

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

When are you traveling? Thatwon’t work in November.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 1:20:13 #887978

We will be there in July. We are trying not to back track. Our planned hikes will take us to the next destination (hotel). So you are suggesting that we travel with our bags and backtrack, yes?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 June 2018 at 1:53:15 #887979

<<“Our planned hikes will take us to the next destination (hotel). So you are suggesting that we travel with our bags and backtrack, yes?”>

Yes- in this particular case.

Do some work with the map and the timetable. I’m guessing that your hike on that day will consume 7 to 8 hours.

That leaves time to schlepp the bags to Wengen, ride back on the cableways, and walk from GW to Wengen, with no concern for the exact time you arrive at Wengen.

You don’t have to back track. You can use different routes if you choose. July has a sunset at a time after 2100:

http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/sun/swit zerland/interlaken/201 8/july

By the way…you’ve planned some substantial elevation changes on that hike, unless you go by way of Zweilütschinen. Not recommended…no scenery.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=26 37085.70&N=1162708.58& zoom=5

Oh , yes. Ask your hotel and e-mail the tourist offices in Wengen and Grindelwald. They might have an answer.

Taxis can’t go to Wengen… it’s car free.

Grindewald and Lauterbrunnen are not.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 3:26:26 #887980

you’re so kind going back-and-forth on this. I wasn’t exactly specific on our route. We actually were planning to go by way of mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg- Eigergletscher- Alpiglen. We had planned to take the train from Alpiglen to Wengen. I guess we can take it from Alpiglen to Grindelwald then Wengen! Our next connection was to Murren. Planned to hike from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen- Grutschalp- Pletscenalp- Allmendhubel- Murren. It sure would be nice to not have to go all the way back to Wengen to get out bags.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 9:56:52 #887981

No. There’s no express luggage service.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 11:27:21 #887982

Yes, there were some changes to the luggage service. Have a look at this thread explaining it: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/chan ges-to-the-sbb-luggage-transport-services

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 June 2018 at 11:45:30 #887983

At least at Lauterbrunnen, there are lockers.

I don’t have time at the momentto check each station, but there may also be “left-luggage” services at some or all of the area stations. you can find that out from the SBB website and links on the page Lucas provided might also get you there.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 June 2018 at 14:13:25 #887984

Lauterbrunnen has lockers- for some reason, they no longer specify how many or what size. Look under Equruipment and Mobility at the station.

The left luggage office at Lauterbrunnen is openSlowpoke 0700 to 1900m 7 days per week.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/further-stations/station.7384. lauterbrunnen.htm

<<“We actually were planning to go by way of mannlichen to Kleine

Scheidegg- Eigergletscher- Alpiglen. We had planned to take the train

from Alpiglen to Wengen. I guess we can take it from Alpiglen to

Grindelwald then Wengen!”>>

Yes, you could..

Once at Grindelwald, you could go up and over on the cableways via Männlichen….if it is not too late in the day….or on the train via Zweilütschinen.

Just checked a random day in July. The LSB (Luftseilbahn) from Männlichen to Wengen (Station name is Wengiboden) has its last car down at 1730. The last train via Zweiluetschinen is at 2119 ( 1 hour trip) or a bus at 2219.

Last cograil from LB to Wengen is at 2330.

How had you planned to get from Grindelwald to Männlichen with that routing? It is a 1200 meter climb.

And, last, another option.

This is what I would do. I’d get up early and catch the cableways from GW to Wengen via Männlichen. Leave bags in Wengen. I’d then backtrack by the cable car from Wengen up to Männlichen. I’d take the walks that you planned, and return to Wengen as you planned.

If your bags are to big for the gondolas up from GW to Männlichen, then I’d take the substantially longer route via Zweilütschinen on the trains, get up to Wengen, dump my bags at the hotel or the left-luggage in the station ( 0700 until 1730, every day, no lockers), ride the cableway up to Männlichen, get a cup of coffee and then set out on your original plan.

I’d prefer to get the bags under control first. And, you’ll have plenty of time by that route; the cograil runs later than the cableways. Last train from Alpiglen to Wengen vie Kleien Scheidegg is at 1907; via GW, 1947.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 June 2018 at 18:28:24 #887985

B the way-

The inn/restaurant at Alpiglen is famous – or notorious – for vary good and very large Käseschnitte.

d.facebook.com/Baerghu usAlpiglen/?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fww w.google.com%2F&_rdr

And, the last part of the trail from Eigergltscher to Alpiglen is aroughly 400 meter drop on switchbacks. It made my knees hurt. Hope you are in better shape for downhill walking than I was.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 3:15:25 #887986

Slowpoke- You are awesome! We will digest these suggestions… along with the Kaseschnitte… Our plans totally depended on the express transfer service! Many thanks!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 June 2018 at 9:15:08 #887987

<<“We will digest these suggestions… along with the Kaseschnitte… Our

plans totally depended on the express transfer service! Many thanks!”>>

Bummer about the transfer service.

However, you have enough time on the day you suggested to take the longer options that I suggest.

But, it has a some major altitude changes, which I propose to handle with cableways on the upward sections. Were you originally planning to climb from GW to Männlichen? Or go by cableways? I’m not sure of your hiking skills.

For example, if you were instead planning to hike the Via Alpina section in that region, it goes from GW to KS then to Wengen.

map.schweizmobil.ch/?lang=en&land=wanderlan d&route=1&bgLayer=pk&l ayers=Wanderland&seaso n=summer&resolution=20 &E=2640786&N=1159982

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /hiking-in-switzerland/routes/rou te/etappe-01560.html

Lots of links on that page above

Height profile –

images2.schweizmobil.c h/files/wl_1.11.pdf

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2018 at 21:36:56 #887988

Thank you slow poke. Such great information. We had planned to take the gondola from Grund to Mannlichen, hike to the summit then to Kleinr Scheidegg, Eigergletscher, Alpiglen. Do you problems with altitude gain with this plan?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 June 2018 at 9:12:51 #887989

<<“Thank you slow poke. Such great information. We had planned to take the

gondola from Grund to Mannlichen, hike to the summit then to Kleinr

Scheidegg, Eigergletscher, Alpiglen. Do you problems with altitude gain

with this plan?”>>

You’re welcome. No problem with altitudes.

Some people choose the short walk up from Kleine Scheidegg to Eigergletscher station; others take the train.

And, if your luggage will fit in the gondola cars that go up from GW Grund, you can take them up to Männlichen GGM , walk a short distance to Männlichen LWM, ride down to Wengen Wengiboden, stash your bags, ride back up to Männlichen ( your only backtrack) and carry out your hike as planned.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Luggage transfer – Grindelwald to Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.