Luggage transfer Interlaken – Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 7:46:08 #815383

Hi

Will be in Switzerland in June and had planned on walking from Schynige Platte to first but without carrying our main luggage. Is it possible for luggage to be transferred from interlaken to Grindelwald and if so the costs involved ?

Thanks

gavin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 April 2018 at 16:19:21 #882504

Hi Gavin —

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

<<“Is it possible for luggage to be transferred from interlaken to Grindelwald and if so the costs involved ?”>>

Yes. Not sure how fast it will be. The fastest service only goes to/from certain stations:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age/luggage.html

<<“Will be in Switzerland in June and had planned on walking from Schynige Platte to first but without carrying our main luggage.”>>

I’d suggest that you not carry your “light” luggage either. 😉

map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en&topic=ech&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.zeitreihen,ch.bfs. gebaeude_wohnungs_regi ster,ch.bav.haltestell en-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,false,fal se,true&layers_timesta mp=18641231,,,&E=26376 99.65&N=1167903.84&zoo m=6

When in June? it’s a good bet that the trail will not open until very late June.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/first-schynigeplatte

Are yiu experienced at high altitude hiking?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 17:59:19 #882505

Slowpoke

I figured luggage transfer would be a popular option for many people therefore business offering such services. plan is to complete walk on 21st June. we do a fair bit of hiking here in Scotland albeit not as high.

Thanks

gavin

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 April 2018 at 18:06:29 #882506

Hi Gavin –

<<“I figured luggage transfer would be a popular option for many people

therefore business offering such services. plan is to complete walk on

21st June. we do a fair bit of hiking here in Scotland albeit not as

high.”>>

It is so common to use the railway network for luggage transfer that that I did not consider such a possibility.

Unless someone else has information, I guess I ‘d resort to a search on the Internet.

At worst, you could probably hire a taxi to take the bags to your hotel.

That date might be questionable.

I’ll solicit opinions form people have been hiking up there more recently. Arno? Annika? Marki?

Don’t forget that the region had a lot of snow this past Winter.

en.swisswebcams.ch/suc he/ort/faulhorn-2660813/

That altitude is high ebnough to require a couple of days of getting used to it, or I have to stop frequently to catch my breath. Un acclimated, the short climb in the attached image causes me to pause and pant.Not likely to be a problem for younger, more fit hikers, I suspect.

For me , that starts with climbs beginning at about 2000 meters, such as the attached. The Luftseilbahn station at Männlichen is at 2229 meters. Männlichen Gipfel ( summit) is at 2343 meters.

Once you get up there, you can see the length of the eastern portion of the Jungfrau Massif, as in the attached.

Slowpoke

SIVA
    Participant
    41 posts
    17 April 2018 at 20:11:23 #882507

Hi Gavingough,

I’m in Wengen at present and I transferred my luggage from luzern to wengen . It takes 2 days. You can drop your luggage before 8.30pm on day 1 and collect it at 9 am on day 3. No express lugguage services to mountain towns/ villages. So it would cost 12 CHF per piece to Grindelwald.

Siva

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 April 2018 at 20:29:06 #882508

Hi Gavin-

I found this link, for what it is worth:

switzerlandtravelcentr e.co.uk/luggage-services/

And, I know that the tourist information services in Switzerland are quite knowledgeable.

You might contact the one at IO and see what they have to say:

http://www.interlaken.ch/en/e nterprise-offices-tourist-information/interlaken -tourismus-organization/contact-opening-hours-interlaken.html

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 April 2018 at 21:50:22 #882509

Hi Gavin-

All my friends do that walk from SP to First.

However, if you went to Grindelwald and dropped your luggage, then went up to First, you could do it in the direction mentioned in the hiking section of this website.

I can’t tell from the SBB website for Grindelwald if there are lockers. No sizes or quantities are shown……Probably none. Left luggage closes at 1800.

Could you drop them at your hotel?

Just a thought.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 19:40:17 #882510

SIVA/Slowpoke

the plan is to walk from SP to First to avoid doubling back if at all possible. We only have that nights accommodation booked in grindelwald before heading over to Lauterbrunnen via kleine scheidegg and eiger trail.

Will contact the tourist info in Interlaken to see if they know of any luggage transport.

Thanks

Gavin

I

• The thread ‘Luggage transfer Interlaken – Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.