Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg trail opening?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 3:50:15 #816242

Hello all .. Planning the hike from Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg Panorama Trail with 2 kids (6,8) around June 10th. I can see that the Wengen – Männlichen lifts have opened however wanted to check if the Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg Panorama Trail will be or not ?

Thanks !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 8:32:29 #886395

Hi Ina,

>> Planning the hike from Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg Panorama Trail with 2 kids (6,8) around June 10th … wanted to check if the Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg Panorama Trail will be or not ?

One of the forum experts on Wengen, Kim, says she has never seen the Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg walk open before 12-15 June. See her post of Jan 16, 2018 – 6:28 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/traveling-to-berner-oberland-in-late-may

It is still closed at the moment:

http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/ home.html

You can check with the local tourist offices once you are there.

>> I can see that the Wengen – Männlichen lifts have opened

The Wengen-Männlichen cable car is not open yet, but will open on 1 June 2018. The Grindelwald Grund-Männlichen gondola opened yesterday, Saturday 26 May.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 13:45:33 #886396

Hi all,

i live in Wengen and will be on Männlichen this Thursday, prior to the official opening of the new cable cars on Friday. At present, there is still too much snow to allow the trail from Männlichen to KS to open but will get an update on Thursday post further news then.

James

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 14:44:29 #886397

Thank you all ! I was misled by the message on the screen “we are open” on Mannlichen website and did not realize that only the Grindelwald Grund – Mannlichen gondola was open. So looks like we will have to wait at least another week before we finalize plans for this hike.

Are there other easy hikes in and around Wengen that we can do ? We are not regular hikers however want to introduce kids to this fun activity ….!

thanks !

no

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 15:00:27 #886398

Hi Ina,

there are lots of short, child-friendly hikes in and around Wengen. Duration between 30 mins to a full morning or afternoon and some can also be done with a quick train ride (eg. Wengen to Allmend) to allow for a gentle downhill stroll all the way.

i have two kids myself (aged 7 and 10) so have been through the same situation.

let me know if I can help further

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 May 2018 at 15:02:20 #886399

Welcome to MySwissAlps, James. You are lucky to live in a stunning region!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 15:05:18 #886400

Thank you, Arno. Yes, indeed, I have to pinch myself every day.

thanks also for the great site!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 17:34:02 #886401

Thanks again all for your suggestions. I will certainly check out the Wengen – Allmend hike. Looks like it can be an alternate to the Wengen – Männlichen cable car ride. What would be some of the other easy kids age appropriate hikes in the region.

What would be your suggestions for things to carry with ourselves on the hike ? I am packing rain jackets, we will carry 2 water bottles, a small veggie snack sandwitch (that we will buy from Wengen) and have normal walking shoes. Anything we are missing 🙂 ? (And Oh yes, have to tell to kids to hold it in, if they have to go .. on the hike.. if you guys know what I mean 😉 )

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 9:32:46 #886402

Hi Ina,

You can find our hiking suggestions for the Jungfrau region listed here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities

Each hike is described in detail with hiking time, difficulty, duration, terrain etc. So that can help you choose what will work for the family.

Snacks and water are always a good idea on a hike – really depends on the overall length of course.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    29 May 2018 at 0:29:16 #886403

Other easy hikes that will be open while you are there:

A beautiful valley walk begins in Lauterbrunnen and ends in Stechelberg (or earlier, depending on your inclination). It is about 4 miles long on a wide flat path. You can go as far as Trümmelbach Falls (about half way and highly recommended for a visit) then bus the rest of the way, go as far as the Stechelberg Schilthornbahn station, about 3.5 miles total, or go all the way to Stechelberg where there is a lovely inn that serves delicious lunches. You can take the bus back from any of these stops to Lauterbrunnen.

The only walk at elevation that’s pretty sure to be open is the Grütschalp to Mürren route. Take the cable train from Lauterbrunnen to Grütshcalp then enjoy the 3.5 mile, mostly flat stroll to Mürren. Stunning views of the Eiger massif from here. You can also walk from Mürren down the paved easy trail to Gimmelwald then catch the gondola down to Stechelberg.

There is also a lovely easy walk along the river (starting in Lauterbrunnen) called the “Natur und Bahn” trail. You pick it up right behind (east) of the train station and follow it as far as you want. It runs to Wilderswil via Zweilütschinen, each of those segments is around 3 miles. You can catch the train back to Lauterbrunnen at either spot.

Unfortunately the Allmendhubel lift doesn’t resume operation until 15 June so you access to the easy hikes up there are limited.

There are a number of loop trails around Wengen that are usually open before mid-June as well. The tourist information center in town can direct you to these.

And welcome WengenJames! So fantastic to have a Wengen resident contributing to this forum. I am jealous. I don’t get to live in Wengen but looking forward to my 21st trip there later this summer. Your Wengen – Allmend suggestion is a great one. Ina, there is a lovely restaurant at Allmend with fantastic views from the patio. A great destination. I would highly recommend then boarding the train at Allmend and riding up to Kleine Scheidegg. Stunning views of the glaciers and a very pleasant place to spend an hour or two. Lunch there is also fantastic (Restaurant Bahnhof, communal tables by train tracks are the most fun. And they have bathrooms 🙂

lkdf62
    Participant
    41 posts
    29 May 2018 at 17:01:09 #886404

Ina,

I thought you might enjoy seeing a couple of photos from the M – KS trail (taken a few years ago during late August – be prepared for snow/slush).

Enjoy your hike!

lkdf62

Rosinbloom
    Participant
    16 posts
    29 May 2018 at 17:30:45 #886405

Hi Ikdf62,

Where are the pictures? I would also like to see. Will be in Wengen in a few weeks for my fist visit to the area. I was not planning on bringing waterproof shoes, but I may need it if I will be hiking through snow!

Thanks,

lkdf62
    Participant
    41 posts
    29 May 2018 at 17:59:34 #886406

Rosinbloom,

My apologies to you and the forum members.

It appears that, at this time, I am unable to add attachments to my reply.

I will make more attempts to add the attachments. (the page refreshes after I select “Post this reply” but I do not see the files attached to the reply. No other dialog boxes appear. Perhaps the file size is too large.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 18:23:02 #886407

That is probably the issue – pictures need to be under 1mb.

lkdf62
    Participant
    41 posts
    Rosinbloom
    Participant
    16 posts
    30 May 2018 at 1:15:55 #886409

These photos were taken in August?

lkdf62
    Participant
    41 posts
    30 May 2018 at 1:23:13 #886410

Yes, these were taken on 30 August 2010. The snow was gone by the next morning and the snow depth was only about 5 cm. Our hiking boots were adequate for both traction and warmth!

Rosinbloom
    Participant
    16 posts
    30 May 2018 at 1:38:57 #886411

I was planning on traveling light and not packing my hiking boots as I will be “hiking” with my two young children 10 and 12 and doing only the “easy” trails. My impression was that the Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg trail is a “granny” trail that I could do easily with a good pair of walking shoes. If I stick to my original plan of traveling light, then I may have to skip this trail if it snows.

Thoughts?

And Thanks for the photos!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 3:07:54 #886412

Thanks again for all the lovely suggestions ! Kiddos seem to be very excited about the valley walk in Lauterbrunnen ! (I am guessing that it is the “delicious” lunch part that got them excited !!!) I am hoping that when they get into the “swiss” spirit they will take to more hikes as you guys have described above too…

I believe the weather is going to be a big determiner in any hikes we take .. We are coming from a region where there is almost no snow any part of the year and is sunny… So kids have begun to understand that as the only weather that exists in nature 🙂 🙂 …

My friends who are based in and around Wengen, I know it is next to impossible to predict it but given that you are in that area now (referring to Wengenjames 🙂 ) should we expect snow on the ground in Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Murren.. ? We can just be a little more prepared and pack better shoes (we were bringing in just plain walking shoes)

Thanks in advance guys !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 6:10:41 #886413

My 2 cents, but I can’t imagine the towns getting any snow themselves (all at or below 1500m) but the higher hiking trails (2000m +) can get a freak snow storm any time of the year really… but I wouldn’t expect too much snow or for it to last very long.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 6:24:20 #886414

Thanks Lucas ! Puts my mind at ease 🙂 !!

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • The thread ‘Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg trail opening?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.