2nd trip to Switzerland- is the Matterhorn a must?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2018 at 0:30:13 #814161

My husband and I will be ending an 18-day trip of a lifetime with 5 days in Switzerland in July.

Through research and recommendations we’ve decided to base ourselves in the Upper Engadine region (Samedan). We’re training up from Venice.

We’re 58 and 62 and love hiking and nature, good food and beer and are really looking forward to staying put in the same hotel for 4 days and 3 nights after a whirlwind previous 14 days.

Our last night is still up in the air. We’re flying out of Zurich on a Sunday night (17:30) back to the States and wonder if we should stay put, or travel to Lucerne, Zermatt or Zurich for our last day/night?

As much as we want to see the Matterhorn, we’re figuring it may not make a lot of sense to travel all that way if indeed we get a foggy or rainy day.

Certainly looks to be a lot to do/see in Upper or Lower Engadine if we choose to stay another night.

OR are we better off using our time to head off for a brief 24 hours elsewhere? I know Lucerne is very close to Zurich so making our flight wouldn’t be a problem.

OR head to Zurich Saturday for an overnight/Sunday morning before reporting to the airport at 14:30?

I know it is our decision, but would really like to hear what you guys would recommend in this situation. At first, I thought I’d really like my husband to see Zurich, but after reading about how beautiful the surrounding areas are, I’m not sure.

Small backstory = I was in Zurich as a senior in high school. My first trip outside the US.

Which brings me to my ultimate question: Can I have been in Switzerland TWICE – and NEVER seen the Matterhorn?

Thanks

• The thread ‘2nd trip to Switzerland- is the Matterhorn a must?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.