Mont Blanc Express & on to Lauterbrunnen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 2:00:27 #812022

Hi! I will be travelling from chamonix-mont-blanc to lauterbrunnen on Sunday 3 september- I intend to get the swiss travel pass for my 8 days in Switzerland. Do I need to reserve a seat on the mont blanc express ahead of time? Can I buy a swiss travel pass at the Chamonix station just before I leave? Are the train schedules different for Sundays (are there less frequent trains and will i be able to complete my whole journey in one day?) Thank you!! Sanet

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 9:56:39 #864138

Hi sanetvs and welcome to MySwissAlps!

No, you do not need to make reservations on this train. You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass at any Swiss railways station office. It would be more convenient to buy it online here and have it emailed to you for printing at home – that way no offices and lines to deal with as you are good to go upon arrival in Switzerland.

Trains run pretty much normally on Sundays – you can check the schedules for your planned trips here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 10:51:25 #864139

Thank you! I tried to find a connection between chamonix and martigny, but it keeps saying “no connection possible” or there is only bus services available.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 17:08:38 #864140

Yes, you would take a bus to Le Châtelard-Frontière and then a train to Martigny.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 1:12:01 #864141

>> I will be travelling from chamonix-mont-blanc to lauterbrunnen on Sunday 3 september

>> I tried to find a connection between chamonix and martigny, but it keeps saying “no connection possible” or there is only bus services available.

Where were you looking for your connection? If you use the Swiss Timetable, for which Lucas has provided the link above, it shows you can go the whole way by train on 3 September 2017 (see attached).

Between 3 April and 24 June 2017, there is a replacement bus operating between Chamonix and Châtelard due to implementation of a new signalling system, but that should not affect you if you are travelling in September.

http://www.chamonix.net/engli sh/transport/train

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Mont Blanc Express & on to Lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.